Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not 'getting' this Walmart LP 'catch and release'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBTJFAkO3wE

Seems like the 'Subject' is cooperating and docile, THEN the LP sorta tries to slam him up against the wall for a bit, then a Walmart women comes around the corner and the LP releases the subject who then bolts.

Did the woman order him released? And why did the LP suddenly try to slam the thief up against the wall. I don't see even a 'juke' of movement from the subject. Wouldn't that be a "battery" against the LP?

Is THAT why the guy was released after the other Walmart woman appeared?

Originally posted by Squid View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBTJFAkO3wE

Seems like the 'Subject' is cooperating and docile, THEN the LP sorta tries to slam him up against the wall for a bit, then a Walmart women comes around the corner and the LP releases the subject who then bolts.

Did the woman order him released? And why did the LP suddenly try to slam the thief up against the wall. I don't see even a 'juke' of movement from the subject. Wouldn't that be a "battery" against the LP?

Is THAT why the guy was released after the other Walmart woman appeared?
    My guess is the woman (with the badge) might have been a boss/coworker ( that was previously watching what was going on on a camera system). When you try to detain a shoplifter you have to be careful because they have rights. Why the LP slammed the guy into the wall I have no idea(my guess is this LP will not be around long). A lot of times an LP has more help to control a "detainee". Confronting a person like that will get you hurt and/or fired. BY just keeping the merchandise in the store you have WON.
    Last edited by sec-guy; 03-28-2013, 05:39 PM. Reason: more

Comment

That is definitely not how we are supposed to handle that at Walmart... Always two LP in my store, but I don't know if that's a policy across every store in the nation. We don't confront alone, and we are NOT supposed to get physical like that with a shoplifter EXCEPT to personally defend ourselves. The way this AP was restraining the guy and unloading his concealed merchandise... that's a good way to get yourself stabbed in the gut in my opinion.

I watched the scene a few times where he suddenly slams the guy against the wall, and it looked as though the suspect made a slight twitching movement with his body as if he were about to run. But it could've been because of the AP's attempting to slam him against the wall -- or else the AP has amazing reflexes to pick up on subtle body cues.

I've been fortunate so far in my short stint in AP here. None of my apprehensions have been "difficult," per se. All have been fairly cooperative. Knock on wood.
      Last edited by mmejia; 03-29-2013, 04:35 PM.

Comment

It does look like the guy was trying to get away. I concure that it looks like Walmart's P&P was not being followed and the recommended guidelines on detaining shoplift subjects was nowhere in sight.
        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
        Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X