when a "normal" adult male works LP is it common to dress funny or

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when a "normal" adult male works LP is it common to dress funny or

act a little funny so you don't look like a "narc"?

I'm thinking you'd want to adopt a 'character' your typical shoplifter would assume was "safe" like semi-dirty just off work construction worker, or a "hipster" and just about anything except the type of clothes you might normally wear.

narc?...

anyways, its all about location. you're not.gonna dres like a scumbag working a nordatrom or neiman marcus, just like you wont 'over dres' if your in an inner city rite aid or kmart. if its winter time i when i worked lp during the winter i walked the floorin an appropriate coat that reflected the weather.

no all shoplifters look like your stereotypical junk.bomb.first sl i helped my bos get was a woman, in hers 40s.with a.black amex in.her wallet and.keys to a m3. tools of the trade, you learn more effective methods from experienced coworkers amd woeking the job.
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Some LP Officers dress down to "fit in" while working at a locations like Walmart, while other LP Officers working at Macy's always dressed sharp and cool,some even wear their shades and basically looked like all the other shoppers, lol. Z88 makes an excellent point, it depends on the gig. Curtis is the expert professional, his answer should be interesting..
      Pop Pop - It reminds me of an old statement by my Master Sergeant. "A Good Run is better then a Bad Stand".

Sec Trainer- Pop Pop: Hope you don't mind if I quote your Master Sergeant. He was a very smart man.

Pop Pop- Yes Sir, Thank you Senior Instructor Sec Trainer, hope you don't mind if I place your quote into my Signature?

Sec Trainer- Permission granted, recruit. Now, police the company area!

flat out cool..

Comment

At Wal-Mart I dressed to fit in. "Ghetto" type clothing. Anything else would of stood out, which would be opposite of what your trying to do. You want those to feel comfortable enough to steal around you.

Comment

At one high-end retail sites where I worked at the occasional LP equivalents usually wore smart casual or business style fitting in the general clientele.

Never done LP or "store detective" stuff myself though, I'm 6,5 feet and 220lbs plus I'd probably need to grow hair for my appearance not to scream "he works security", and even then I'd probably stand out from the crowd too well.

Comment

I've always dressed as professionally as possible (I'm still an employee, I should appear as though I at least tried), but it mostly comes down to where you work. I've only dressed as an outright crackhead once, so typically I make a point to dress like everyone else, act how I dress, but still act and attempt to appear professional on top of it all.

Comment

Just remember one the thing:

No matter how you dress, you'll occasionally have some jackass come up to you (while your trying to observe a suspect) and tell you it's obvious that I'm AP. I always tell them, if it were them I was watching... they'd never see me or know of me.

Comment

Originally posted by PlateStacker View Post
                Just remember one the thing:

No matter how you dress, you'll occasionally have some jackass come up to you (while your trying to observe a suspect) and tell you it's obvious that I'm AP. I always tell them, if it were them I was watching... they'd never see me or know of me.
                Its funny how some people are so obvious about it though. One of the guys at Walmart is 6'6' and huge. Always wears a Tap Out shirt and whenever I see him, hes pacing around the store like crazy.

Comment

I only did LP for about six months but, often, my "character" was "soccer dad". With Khaki pants and polo shirt with print, I'd let my normally shaved head grow out because i don't really grow much on top anyway. Oh and I'm a heavyset guy, too. C'mon! NOBODY suspects the fat, bald guy in the golf shirt and khakis! LOL. folks would hit standing right next to me....
                  Tom Duprey
                  Owner/Relentless Risk Management

Comment

Originally posted by BailBondInvestigator View Post
                    I only did LP for about six months but, often, my "character" was "soccer dad". With Khaki pants and polo shirt with print, I'd let my normally shaved head grow out because i don't really grow much on top anyway. Oh and I'm a heavyset guy, too. C'mon! NOBODY suspects the fat, bald guy in the golf shirt and khakis! LOL. folks would hit standing right next to me....
                    LOL, good point. It always gives me a chuckle when we do a drive by on our way to another location and the inner city dudes hanging out on the street corners turn and wave to us, nothing like a navy blue crown Vic rolling out with four dudes with shaved heads and clean cut looking wearing black polo's with our shades on to give us away. The inner city dudes think we're (five o) and a bunch of Detectives. lol.
                    Pop Pop - It reminds me of an old statement by my Master Sergeant. "A Good Run is better then a Bad Stand".

Sec Trainer- Pop Pop: Hope you don't mind if I quote your Master Sergeant. He was a very smart man.

Pop Pop- Yes Sir, Thank you Senior Instructor Sec Trainer, hope you don't mind if I place your quote into my Signature?

Sec Trainer- Permission granted, recruit. Now, police the company area!

flat out cool..

Comment

You just don't want to let your looks give you away. I always dressed to not stick out, and to blend in. So they don't see me following them. And they are more comfortable to steal around me, thinking "theres no way a guy that looks like that would work here". You don't want them notice your fallowing them and dump the goods, or see how at the last second and turn around at the exit.

Either way, some people heave no life and literally live at the place I was AP at (Wal-Mart) and recognized that I was always there.

Comment

My normal "uniform" is either sweat pants or yoga pants. On the off chance im at a store in a nicer area i will dress the way customers dress. Eh, i look like a child anyway so people don't really suspect me of anything. Your best bet is to dress for the weather and for the store you are working in that specific day. You want to blend in otherwise you will be made and wont make as many stops.

Comment

I always plan ahead for the store I will be at and the crowd. I typically wear polos and jeans in most cases for my store. If I go to the high risk stores, I wear t-shirts, jeans and usually a hooded sweatshirt or flannel jacket depending on the weather to fit in better. On the floor, I like to keep my phone to my ear talking to myself, even if I'm not working with a partner just to give the effect that I'm not paying attention to my surroundings. This time of year though, I always forget to keep a jacket in the office so I'm not wandering the floor in short sleeves in the mid 40 degrees!
                          Asset Protection- We're paid to be paranoid... How can you beat that!

Comment

i just dress in normal street clothes, I try and avoid wearing anything distinctive people tend to notice someone in a bright colored shirts.

Comment

I know I've mentioned this on here before, but one of the tactical LP detectives I used to work with had such a good disguise that he was basically invited into an ORC ring. They had seen him at the store a lot and assumed he was also a shoplifter. We conducted an undercover investigation and eventually brought it down.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X