The Tactics of ORC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tactics of ORC

I wrote an article for the May issue of Security Technology Executive magazine titled, "The Tactics of ORC." Read the article.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

I noticed a lot of grab and runs for Tide Detergent, They are getting bolder
    and bolder every week. Get away drivers usually waiting by the back of the store
    where the emergency exits are at.

Comment

Tide is the new ORC hit. The other week I noticed a large amount of Tide product being sold out of a van at a swap-meet. I gave the plate number and description of the guy to the local police. He had a lot of it.
      Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
      Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Nice writeup. I'm lucky enough to not have too much ORC in my area. For the longest time we were having problems with pre-paid cell phones but we apprehended most of the people involved. Although I've noticed a large number of white strip boosters in the surrounding markets.

Comment

My time at walmart showed that razors,white strips and blu-ray dvds were the top 3 items. I had numerous apprehensions and cases on ORC groups, mainly the blu-ray boosters.

When I went to Neiman Marcu it was a whole nother ball game. Suits,and denim were the top things at my store. MY biggest catch was right around 3 grand for items from my store,along with about 8 grand in other stores merchanise.

It was a group of 3 hispanics and 1 russian, he would select a few suits and double hang one or two and take them to the fitting room where the 3 hispanics wrapped them around there legs and pulled baseball socks and ace bandages over it.

Comment

Why Tide

Curtis,
            or anyone else who could answer this

In my four or so years in Loss Prevention I have seen spike like this for various products. First Crest White strips then Diabetic test strips then razor refills now tide. Now I well aware that these are all commonly boosted items. I can read reports around that have this merchandise listed as being impacted all the time but occasionally I see a significant spike to certain items. It may be one or two groups that all of a sudden start hitting up multiple stores on a regular basis for large amounts of Razor refills or a dozen of seemingly unrelated Subjects all impacting Diabetic test strips. I mean these could just be coincidences but this is the second time I've seen mention that Tide is hot. To add to that we all of a sudden have actual multiple market cases that are impacting use continuously for Tide. What would cause a trend like this? Assuming the last question was answered, can we use that information to potential track the next trend? Is this possible an issue at the Store level with not tracking all merchandise efficiently and just getting caught up in the new trend buzz?

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X