How far do you LP guys go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far do you LP guys go?

I probably already know the answer. I suspect it depends on the law & company policy.

I ask because of an incident that happened at the hotel just before I started my shift this evening.

A suspect shoplifted a number of expensive suits from The Bay. (North America's oldest retailer). The susoect ran 2 blocks north & 1 block east, entered my hotel & tried to hide in the restaurant.

A palin clothed person with a walkie-talkie came into the restaurant, got into a struggle with the suspect. It continued into the lobby of the hotel scaring a bus load of Japanese tourists that where just checking in.

Male staff members (no Security on duty) helped restain the suspect. He escaped but the police had been called & he was arrested running away from the hotel.

How far would you guys go? I'm happy for them that they prevented the loss but not happy that the impression might have scared the tourists so much that when they get home they'll tell their friends not to come here.
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

I think it was probably the highlight of their trip.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

lol I agree with Curtis.

How far usually depends on the company. Personally, If there were no policies restricting me. I would go as far as possible or until I felt it was unsafe for me to pursue and further. Side walks / parking lots are usually the extent of most LP boundaries.

I salute the guy who tracked him down into your hotel though lol, good work. Lets just hope he was allowed to do that and he still has a job.

Comment

What about into a school yard full of kids during recess? Into a church?

Comment

No and no.

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
            No and no.
            But an hotel lobby crammed full of 49 bus passengers is ok???

Comment

I didn't say it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
                I didn't say it was.
                Curtis you're making me feel like a dentist.

Comment

Would you be concerned if it was the real police.

Comment

Originally posted by capurato View Post
                    Would you be concerned if it was the real police.
                    The "concern" was more about the LP person being in plain clothes. I think I'd be less "concerned" if the LP was uniformed or had identification that was visable. Lucky for him the male staff that assisted saw his walkie-talkie.

Comment

Here is how far LP guys go. These videos and the other "cases" he has answer your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKx95...0&feature=plcp

And....here I think in the video he states he runs a mile or so down the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPkwg...1CDymA&lf=plcp

They love their job. And I love mine. I wish we had relaxed rules like my boss tells us about (1970's and 1980's when there were no rules).

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
                        Lucky for him the male staff that assisted saw his walkie-talkie.

I've been a amateur radio operator for 15 years and there have been many times I've had a radio on me while out and about. Does that mean I can tackle people in your hotel and everyone will just watch?

Comment

My first job in the private security profession was in LP. I worked for a well-known food chain and it was my job to guard some of their corporate assets. We never saw any problems until one day, a pair of unfamiliar looking guys entered the complex. I saw them enter an unauthorized area on the security feed and reached them as they were leaving. To keep a long story short, it for violent to the point where I had to draw my firearm. They ran away and I didn't fire a shot that day.

Comment

Originally posted by capurato View Post
                            Here is how far LP guys go. These videos and the other "cases" he has answer your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKx95...0&feature=plcp

And....here I think in the video he states he runs a mile or so down the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPkwg...1CDymA&lf=plcp

They love their job. And I love mine. I wish we had relaxed rules like my boss tells us about (1970's and 1980's when there were no rules).
                            It's because of all the bad things that happened to shoplifters, customers and LP that we wrote those rules. And, you can be glad we did.

Comment

I watched the videos - both very unprofessional. I could go on and on about what's wrong in both of these videos; I could write a small book on them. Instead I refer to the retail security industry standards that have been testified to in deposition and civil jury trial and accepted by the courts all across the nation - Best Practices - Detaining Shoplifting Suspects. You read the Best Practices and tell me what's wrong with these videos.
                              Last edited by Curtis Baillie; 01-20-2012, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X