Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collected information on LP jobs that are NOT hands on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collected information on LP jobs that are NOT hands on?

After a search, I have not found one. Since I do not see the point of getting paid to protect items that we dont own without using any physical touching whatsoever, I want to be able to list as many companies as possible that do not allow hands on...

-U.S. Security Associates (FL)
    -K-mart

Hmm. These are all the ones I KNOW, but those I have heard of are Kohls and Lowes.

Hands on?
    -Home Depot
    -JCPenny
    -Wal Mart

What other companies fall under a no hands on policy? I want to avoid these companies for employment in the future.
    Worked for Target, Home Depot, Kmart, JCPenny, U.S. Security Associates 10+ years experience in retail security

It's my opinion that if you're unable or unwilling to take responsibility for assets and act within the law to protect them (hands on), then you are not a loss prevention officer.

I guarantee some disagree with me, but that is my stance.

As far as what companies are hands on vs hands off, I believe that's company-specific policy and we should probably not be discussing them on a public forum.

Comment

Wal-mart is hands on!
      If we are not consistent, we lose credibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Nauticus View Post
        It's my opinion that if you're unable or unwilling to take responsibility for assets and act within the law to protect them (hands on), then you are not a loss prevention officer.

I guarantee some disagree with me, but that is my stance.

As far as what companies are hands on vs hands off, I believe that's company-specific policy and we should probably not be discussing them on a public forum.
        Ive seen stores listed on this specific forum, so its allowed. I am not looking for a company bashing party.

As far as your stance goes, the searches I have done merit many who agree with us.
        Worked for Target, Home Depot, Kmart, JCPenny, U.S. Security Associates 10+ years experience in retail security

Comment

Kohls is hands off
          Best Buy is hands off
          Redner's Markets is hands on

Comment

Originally posted by kmazz View Post
            Kohls is hands off
            Best Buy is hands off
            Redner's Markets is hands on
            So it is true! My God, and JCP is their competition? I hope they get robbed.

What is Redners Markets? A grocery store?

Comment

Originally posted by AKIRA View Post
              So it is true! My God, and JCP is their competition? I hope they get robbed.

What is Redners Markets? A grocery store?
              Yes Redners is a large grocery chain in PA. Not sure if they are in any other states.

Comment

A couple guys that work for me who used to work redners say it is hands off no handcuffs..

Comment

I'm currently at Kohl's and truly do not have an issue with the hands off policy. Its not about trying to manhandle someone. It all how you conduct yourself. Yes, you will have people run on you, but that happens when you are hands on as well. Going hands isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I had a partner years ago(when every company was hands on) start trying to take someone down, and it cost him his life. Your primary focus should be the recovery of the stores merchandise, then the apprehension and prosecution of the subject. Please reconsider your stance on the whole hands on thing. Its just not worth it, and could cost you your life, or someone else theirs. I'm sure my partner never thought that would happen to him(being he was about 6'4" and 250lbs), but it did, sadly. Please be safe everyone!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 760LP View Post
                    I'm currently at Kohl's and truly do not have an issue with the hands off policy. Its not about trying to manhandle someone. It all how you conduct yourself. Yes, you will have people run on you, but that happens when you are hands on as well. Going hands isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I had a partner years ago(when every company was hands on) start trying to take someone down, and it cost him his life. Your primary focus should be the recovery of the stores merchandise, then the apprehension and prosecution of the subject. Please reconsider your stance on the whole hands on thing. Its just not worth it, and could cost you your life, or someone else theirs. I'm sure my partner never thought that would happen to him(being he was about 6'4" and 250lbs), but it did, sadly. Please be safe everyone!!!
                    Not to be disrespectful as it is not my intent, but what happened to your partner is a tiny fraction of all apprehensions and could happen even in a hands off world. This is going along with a speculation that your partner wasnt the aggressive type.

If I sit here and count all the people Ive worked with, it would take a while. The person that hired me though was on a cane. He jumped into a shoplifters car and was dragged. This type of behavior is not to be confused with a hands on policy. Hands on should be used at the least amount of force in order to assure control. If control cant be applied, let em go. The guy who hired me in 2001 was the only one Ive personally known to get badly injured from a shoplifter.

Hands off completely is bonkers for a few quick reasons:
                    -It reveals your identity to the shoplifter.
                    -Others with said shoplifter now know who you are.
                    -Other people, including associates, are aware of your limitations.

These are reasons in a nut shell, but they run quite deep and have lasting effects. I know first hand from working at a hands off business. Once, I was known, more and more people didnt run away, they WALKED away, sometimes with merchandise.

If you enjoy your job and do not mind being hands off, my hat is off to you. I still find the job fun and its attributed to being hands on.

Remember, Hands on doesnt mean 'game on.'
                    Last edited by AKIRA; 07-27-2011, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by capurato View Post
                      A couple guys that work for me who used to work redners say it is hands off no handcuffs..
                      Might have different rules depending on the district/area. All of the Redner's LP employee's I have spoken to are hands on.

As for hands on or off debate. The only time im going hands on is for self defense of myself or others. If the subject wants to run or even walk away then fine. They can either travel on foot andwhile on the phone with dispatch give them direction of travel and the local PD can grab them..or they can jump in a car and local PD can run the plate. There is nothing in my stores worth risking harm to my team or customers. Plus im not going to grab some kid who decides to run away from me after stealing a $50 video game. only for him to get hurt in the tussle and have to then fight angered parents in court trying to get some type of settlement out of us. Even with a clear cut case in our favor the time and legal fees wouldn't justify the recovery of the merchandise. Especially with external theft being such a small cause of shrink for most retailers it just doesn't seem worth it to me.
                      Last edited by kmazz; 07-28-2011, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Borders Books was hands off.

Comment

Now that's funny.
                          Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                          Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by kmazz View Post
                            Might have different rules depending on the district/area. All of the Redner's LP employee's I have spoken to are hands on.

As for hands on or off debate. The only time im going hands on is for self defense of myself or others. If the subject wants to run or even walk away then fine. They can either travel on foot andwhile on the phone with dispatch give them direction of travel and the local PD can grab them..or they can jump in a car and local PD can run the plate. There is nothing in my stores worth risking harm to my team or customers. Plus im not going to grab some kid who decides to run away from me after stealing a $50 video game. only for him to get hurt in the tussle and have to then fight angered parents in court trying to get some type of settlement out of us. Even with a clear cut case in our favor the time and legal fees wouldn't justify the recovery of the merchandise. Especially with external theft being such a small cause of shrink for most retailers it just doesn't seem worth it to me.
                            You dont have to get hands on with a shoplifter for them to run. The risk of them getting hit by a car or injuring a customer is still there.

Dont forget, some companies do not what LP to call the police for those that run. In fact, I wouldnt be surprised if most LP personel on this forum didnt know for sure that it states in policy that it is ok for an LP Associate to call the police for shoplifters that flee. Management may be the only ones that are allowed to make the call. Not to mention, I worked for a company that allowed LP to call the cops when a thief fled IF the merchandise was recovered.

Buuuuuut, if I grabbed the shoplifter and controlled the situation, because I was trained, (right?) this wouldnt be an issue. After all, we are security.

Comment

Yes, you are security, and that means that in many cases, you are bound by the liability managing "Observe and Report" mentality. In this case, you observe theft, report it to management who calls law enforcement or report it to law enforcement directly.

You aren't supposed to go "hands on" (intervene) because its too much financial risk for the company with to little reward. This is why some retailers do not train their associates except in the basics of retail detention and then say "don't touch people, let them run, get a plate."

The cost of training employees in hands-on tactics, employee safety as it relates to defensive tactics, proper physical arrest procedures, and other things is simply not justified by the amount they recouped in merchandise recovered, civil demand, or criminal awards.

Maybe its the threat of bad stops that tips the scales to a hands off policy. Maybe its the additional insurance required. Or, maybe its just the lawyers and corporate LP going "its not worth it, this is a strictly observe and report operation."
                              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X