Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requisite introduction.

Hi all,
    I've been lurking for a few weeks. After reading the insightful posts in the various threads, I've decided it's time to formally join the fun. I live in Connecticut (Noticed a rather large CT presence on here,) and I work in Loss Prevention. I also attend college full time. I recently switched from engineering to criminal justice with a concentration in private security. Just figured I'd pop my head in, and say hi.
    This may not be the right place to post this, but, I was wondering if anyone here knows of a good SO company, or leads on a good SO program in Connecticut. Although I really enjoy LP work, I am a college student, and since I have the Summer off, I'd like to not only make a little extra money, but also get some experience in another end of the security discipline.
    Thanks!
    Al

Well, some of it will depend on where in CT you are. Many companies will have multiple offices and some are better to work out of then others. It will also depend on what type of security you are looking to get into. When I first started out, I enjoyed working for SSC. Security Services of Connecticut. One of the best managers I have ever worked for was my Branch Manager and he is now the Senior Vice President.

Best bet....shop arround. Get your resume squared away, and go to a few companies. Fill out their apps and see what the can offer you.

Good luck.
    www.oramsecurity.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply

SGTUSMC8541,
      Thanks for the reply. You're absoloutely correct regarding the differences in types of security jobs and different companies. I will need to do more research. Also, I believe you frequent another forum I used to lurk around a lot (specialoperations.com.) Anyway, Semper Fi, and thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by SgtUSMC8541
        Well, some of it will depend on where in CT you are. Many companies will have multiple offices and some are better to work out of then others. It will also depend on what type of security you are looking to get into. When I first started out, I enjoyed working for SSC. Security Services of Connecticut. One of the best managers I have ever worked for was my Branch Manager and he is now the Senior Vice President.

Best bet....shop arround. Get your resume squared away, and go to a few companies. Fill out their apps and see what the can offer you.

Good luck.
        What's the call on resumes, anyway? I played the resume shopping up here. Out of 8 companies, only three wanted to talk to me, and two were for supervisory positions, the other was armed off the bat. The rest gave such things as "overqualification," etc.

Not driving 35 miles one way for a 10 dollar an hour supervisory job in my own POV.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by wtf9862
          SGTUSMC8541,
          Thanks for the reply. You're absoloutely correct regarding the differences in types of security jobs and different companies. I will need to do more research. Also, I believe you frequent another forum I used to lurk around a lot (specialoperations.com.) Anyway, Semper Fi, and thank you!
          Yes that is me over at SOCNet.
          www.oramsecurity.com

Comment

...... When I first started out, I enjoyed working for SSC. Security Services of Connecticut. One of the best managers I have ever worked for was my Branch Manager and he is now the Senior Vice President.

Good luck.
            I called SSC once to get some information about an opening they had. The manager told me to send in my resume. I said thank you, hung up, and said to myself: "A resume for a 9.00/hr. job? Yeah, right."
            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
              I called SSC once to get some information about an opening they had. The manager told me to send in my resume. I said thank you, hung up, and said to myself: "A resume for a 9.00/hr. job? Yeah, right."
              Which office? If it was the Hartford Office then I know the HR manager. Good guy. Been doing this for almost 20 some years. When I was an Operations Manager out of Hartford we tried to get resumes when we could. Even for the 9.00 an hour jobs. How hard is it to have a resusme put together? Then when something else comes up, I have something to go over as opposed to just an application.

Dont want to have a resume? Fine. I know that when I see one, even for the 9 to 10 dollar range, it will give that man/woman a step up over just an app.

My .02
              www.oramsecurity.com

Comment

Which office? If it was the Hartford Office then I know the HR manager. Good guy. Been doing this for almost 20 some years. When I was an Operations Manager out of Hartford we tried to get resumes when we could. Even for the 9.00 an hour jobs. How hard is it to have a resusme put together? Then when something else comes up, I have something to go over as opposed to just an application.

Dont want to have a resume? Fine. I know that when I see one, even for the 9 to 10 dollar range, it will give that man/woman a step up over just an app.

My .02
                Sure you can spare the change? Actually, I don't remember for sure. It may have been Bridgeport. At any rate, when I applied for a position with Guardsmark, I spent 6 hours completing their long-form application (Which requires that you list every job that you have held since HS) and taking the Minnesota Personality Test comprised of over 500 questions. Not only does Guardsmark screen their employees thoroughly, but they also pay substantially more. They didn't ask for a resume (even though I have one).

I don't know what you meant by a "step up." Did you mean more pay or just a better chance at being hired at the entry-level pay rate? If it is the latter, I didn't miss much.
                Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                  Sure you can spare the change?

Not only does Guardsmark screen their employees thoroughly, but they also pay substantially more. They didn't ask for a resume (even though I have one).

Can I spare it? I'm the boss, I'll just expence it

As for Guardsmark...they do a much better job than most in screening their guards. I will give them that. As for the pay.... it all depends on the site. Generaly, due to the insurance that they provde you will find that they pay less. They are putting in to pay for the insurance for the guards and they sitll need a good DL number to make money. I've taken accounts from them, and lost to them too, were the guards were getting paid 9.00. When I took over I was able to pay 10 - 11. We do less for insurance than they do. There are pros and cons to both sides.

They do, in most areas, have a very good rep in the industry.
                  www.oramsecurity.com

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X