G'day from Downunder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G'day from Downunder

Just decided I'd pop in and say howdy, since I've been doing a bit of reading on the boards and on a couple of topics thought I might actually want to chime in with my .5 cents (since we don't have pennies in Australia )

Glad to note there is actually some type of security forum around, since I haven't really been able to locate one in Australia, as of yet, nor any true security organization.

Technically, we are classed as 'Misc Workers' in Australia...they do have a union for those, although most patrol officers here don't really like being classed as a misc worker. Not sure why that is.

Originally from the US, South Mississippi to be exact, but married myself a Aussie woman who is fairly good to me, along with two children now, so it doesn't look like a return to the US except for visits to the family.

Anyway, top of the day to each of you. Look forward to some more reading and a bit of discussion.

welcome.where in australia are you based?

Comment

Canberra, Australian Capital Territory and home of too many politicians and public servants.

Yourself?

Comment

im from wagga.

Comment

Originally posted by OzPatrol
          .....Technically, we are classed as 'Misc Workers' in Australia...they do have a union for those, although most patrol officers here don't really like being classed as a misc worker. Not sure why that is....
          G'day OzPatrol, there has over the years been discussions on Security Officers forming their own Union, but it never got off the ground and I guess the reason is that perhaps the current Union does already cover Security Guards and other Security Operatives.

Liquour, Hospitality and Miscellaneous Union

How do you like living in Canberra, our Nations Capital?

It certainly is a modern well designed city and I find it facinating that it is just stuck in the middle of the bush.

Comment

Originally posted by OzPatrol
            (since we don't have pennies in Australia ).
            So no 99 cent stores?
            "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
            "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
              So no 99 cent stores?
              None here in Montreal either. We have $1.00 stores (That's about 88 cents US )
              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

we have a $2 dollar shop

Comment

Originally posted by IrishGuard
                  G'day OzPatrol, there has over the years been discussions on Security Officers forming their own Union, but it never got off the ground and I guess the reason is that perhaps the current Union does already cover Security Guards and other Security Operatives.
                  Thanks Irish, and I'm well aware they are -suppose- to cover the security industry workers, but I'm from the US, and for some reason, I just don't like being classed as a miscellaneous worker. The whole idea of me being an after-thought rubs me the wrong way. *laugh*

I would love to see the security industry as a whole have its own union. One that had our concerns and best interest at heart. May have to look into doing something about that at some point in the near future. For now, the patrol officers with my current company have decided that the Transport Workers Union as the ones we want to represent us, and that is who we got. Apparently, you don't have to go with the LHMU.

As for living in Canberra. I do like it, although I don't really like living so close to politicians, but it works out well for security, considering the company I'm with has a fair few contracts with the government for security breach patrols and other such stuff. I do love the fact that I'm not far away from the Brindibella ranges and I'm about to get out and enjoy the country, some camping and the like. I do find that the neighbours are still a little to close for my liking. (I grew up in rural southern mississippi, where my closest neighbour was about 1/2 a mile away. Walking out my back door and being able to see my next door neighbour, even if he is a good sort, staring me in the face has taken a lot of getting use to).

Originally posted by Wackenhut Lawson
                  So no 99 cent stores?
                  Nope, like ozsecuritychic says, only $2 shops, here and there. That equates to about $1.50 US

Originally posted by jimmyhat
                  We yanks like to say "watch your six."
                  Jimmy, I'm originally from the US, so I've gotten use to the idea of "watching my six", especially here where a patrolman has got only one thing to use if he finds that he's in a tough situation, and its the gift of speaking. Hopefully, he has a really GOOD gift, or he's been making sure to locate escape routes should things go south.

Otherwise, its good to find others who are in the same boat as a lot of the rest of us. Glad this board is here and I was able to find it.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X