New Member from southern california

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member from southern california

Hi all! a member at another forum pointed me here so i decided to check it out.
    i've been working for Biola Univeristy Campus Safety for about three years now as a student worker doing various things like writing tickets, locking/unlocking doors, and giving safety escourts.
    currently i am working as a dispatcher for them working a few shifts a week from 11pm to 7am, i'm on the 7am side of things right now, so please excuse any typos. I am however in training to move over to the Full-time Officer posisiton once i graduate.

I just recently completed my POST certification, going for the guard card class next week ect...

i'm hoping to share and learn with others in similar jobs.

When did the boys and girls at Biola start wearing grey shirts?

Comment

Welcome to the forums. Glad you decided to drop in and join up. That may have been me over in the photo thread at Radio Reference telling you about this board. Hope you like it here.
      Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Originally posted by EMTGuard
        Welcome to the forums. Glad you decided to drop in and join up. That may have been me over in the photo thread at Radio Reference telling you about this board. Hope you like it here.
        Hope you received a referral credit.
        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.

what do you mean grey shirts? They wear whatever clothes they want, there is no student uniforms or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by knotquiteawake
            Thanks for the welcome.

what do you mean grey shirts? They wear whatever clothes they want, there is no student uniforms or anything.
            I meant the campus safety officers. Last I knew they were wearing all blue uniforms but I recently saw a picture on the university website and the two officers were wearing grey shirts. Sorry my original post was unclear.

Comment

Welcome. If you have your Basic POST, why are you trying to get a guard card. Is your department LE?

California Security Blog
              Domain Registration Services

Comment

Our uniforms used to be a dark police blue, then two years ago they switched to a lighter security guard greyish blue (its more blue than the picture you might be seeing). Now that we are getting armed we might be switching back to the dark blue for officers with guns and the light blue for trainees who are not carrying guns.

California Law says something about having 80 hours of training or something like that for a certain security guard status or something, part of that includes a 40 hour POST training, guard card, weaponless def, chemical weapons (OC spray), baton class, ect...

Comment

I thought CA POST was 300+ hours. What's the 40 hour POST training entail?
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                    I thought CA POST was 300+ hours. What's the 40 hour POST training entail?
                    The CA Basic Post is 900+ hours and 300 hours OJT. CA does have a 40 hour P.C.832 certification that is used for animal control, meter maids, and ect. There is no OJT for the P.C.832 becasue its not a sworn certification.

A lot of the better security agencies send thier sercurity persons to the P.C.832 course becasue its just good training. There is also a 16 hour add-on the the 40 hour course to include some firearms training as some animal control types are armed.

California Security Blog
                    Domain Registration Services

Comment

Yeah, sorry, its was the PC 832 POST certification. In that class there were people from: code enforcement, Health Services, security agencies, school security, and most interesting of all two bounty hunters were in the class as well.

Comment

CA POST Requirements

The minimum number of training hours of a POST-certified Basic Academy is 664 hours. The majority of academies go way beyond the minimum, like publicsafetyred said, 900+ hours. When I graduated from LAPD's reserve academy in 1991 the POST minimum training for the Level I Reserve academy was 300 hours, but LAPD gave us 550 hours.

Here is a link to information about California Basic Academy Training:

http://www.post.ca.gov/training/bt_bureau/regular.asp

The P.C. 832 course is divided into two parts; Module A, which is sometimes called "Powers to Arrest" is 40 hours long and as the name implies mainly teaches you how to legally arrest someone. Some criminal law and defensive tactics are thrown in. Yes, a lot of security companies like you to have this training, but I actually argue against it. The training teaches you PEACE OFFICER powers of arrest, which is not applicable to private citizen security guards as they can only make Private Person's Arrests. However, the main difference between a peace officer's powers of arrest and a citizen's is that a peace officer may arrest a person for a felony crime based solely on probable cause. A citizen may not. A citizen must KNOW that a felony has, in fact, been committed AND have probable cause to believe that the person to be arrested committed the felony.

Module B is the firearms training of 24 hours. About half is classroom lectures on use of force, shooting principals and the like, and the other half is range time. So if you take both Module A and B you will have a total of 64 hours of training.

Here is a link to the P.C. 832 information from California POST:

http://www.post.ca.gov/training/pc832.asp

Comment

the PC832 applies to my job because we have peace officer powers of arrest while on duty while in our jurisdiction (on campus at the the few apartments we own just off of campus).

Comment

Originally posted by knotquiteawake
                            the PC832 applies to my job because we have peace officer powers of arrest while on duty while in our jurisdiction (on campus at the the few apartments we own just off of campus).
                            In your case I understand why you need it. Security guards who only have a private citizen's power of arrest don't.

Is Biola going to send their officers through a full Basic academy now that you guys are becoming armed, or just P.C. 832?

Any plans to become a police department?

Comment

I don't think we will become a full police unit because Biola is a private university and will do what ever it takes to maintain that privacy and autonomy.

Myself and another student worker are going to be the last two people to be hired on without the full POST certification, we will be taking supplimental classes for the firearms stuff. However, after us i think the requirements may be changing to only review applications where the person had completed POST. This is going to make hiring very difficult because the standards of charicter for people who apply are high as well. I think the requirements should be changed but full POST is not necessary in my opinion.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X