Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from Canada

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Greetings from Canada

    Made my way here from O.com. Wasn't even aware that this site exists.

    I am a corporate security professional in Ontario, Canada with 15 years experience. I currently hold my CPP designation through ASIS INternational and am writing my PSP soon as well. I am also working on my MSc Security & Risk Management to upgrade my education.

    Thought I'd jump right in and get the introductions formally under way.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Big Bulldog
    Made my way here from O.com. Wasn't even aware that this site exists.

    I am a corporate security professional in Ontario, Canada with 15 years experience. I currently hold my CPP designation through ASIS INternational and am writing my PSP soon as well. I am also working on my MSc Security & Risk Management to upgrade my education.

    Thought I'd jump right in and get the introductions formally under way.
    Welcome Big Bulldog. I was a member of ASIS for 25 years and found that I got more out of it than annual dues. It is best to be as active as possible and join the various subcommittees in which you have expertise. There is the networking that I found invaluable.
    If we got information, we never quoted who gave us the information. It is best that way. As in all things, trust but verify.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

    Comment


    • #3
      Amen bro. I'd detail my involvement with ASIS more but that would potentially identify me to some on the system. Not real comfortable with that. Prefer the anonimity.

      Comment


      • #4
        If you have the required experience, can afford the dues, then ASIS is one of the best professional investments you can make.

        If we're lucky, stating that about NAPSOA might actually be true some day. Right now, though, its a good organization to start out with, as it starts out. Much like any new group on the block, it has to earn its place in the professional landscale, and it looks like we'll actually be able to do so.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

        "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

        Comment


        • #5
          Sorry, not familiar with NAPSOA. Who are they? Can you post a link?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Big Bulldog
            Sorry, not familiar with NAPSOA. Who are they? Can you post a link?
            Sure. www.napsoa.com
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

            "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

            Comment


            • #7
              Hey Big B-dog. I am in corp sec as well for a large Canadian Insurance and Financial company. will be writing my PSP in the next month or so. How have you found the study material? Any hints or tips from writing your CPP?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by astorms
                Hey Big B-dog. I am in corp sec as well for a large Canadian Insurance and Financial company. will be writing my PSP in the next month or so. How have you found the study material? Any hints or tips from writing your CPP?
                astorms. Contact your local chapter,they will be more than happy to provide you with the necessary information including the experience and education to take the test. You must study hard and the local Chapters offer lots of help if you are willing to buckle down.
                Keep in the back of your mind, you must recertify every four to five years. If you are a CPP, they will force you to keep current, please remember that.
                Unless they have changed the rules, you do not have to be a member of ASIS to become a CPP.
                With those credentials, those people around you will know that at least your head is screwed on straight.
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bill Warnock
                  astorms. Contact your local chapter,they will be more than happy to provide you with the necessary information including the experience and education to take the test. You must study hard and the local Chapters offer lots of help if you are willing to buckle down.
                  I agree with Bill that the local chapter can be very helpful. In my chapter we have a PSP Review course conducted by a local member.

                  Originally posted by Bill Warnock
                  Keep in the back of your mind, you must recertify every four to five years. .
                  Actually you are given three years to accumulate the required number of credits to recertify.

                  Originally posted by Bill Warnock
                  If you are a CPP, they will force you to keep current, please remember that.
                  ASIS isn't the Gestapo if you don't keep it current you're only letting yourself down.

                  Originally posted by Bill Warnock
                  Unless they have changed the rules, you do not have to be a member of ASIS to become a CPP.
                  That is correct. You can get accredited without being a member but members get reduced costs.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by astorms
                    Hey Big B-dog. I am in corp sec as well for a large Canadian Insurance and Financial company. will be writing my PSP in the next month or so. How have you found the study material? Any hints or tips from writing your CPP?
                    Actually I found the materials fairly easy to read not as dry as some of the CPP books.

                    For the CPP, I focused on those areas that held the highest percentage points. Focused my review heavy on those areas and passed with flying colors. However, the exam is a gruelling experience and even with good preparation, you really have to know your stuff to pass. A colleaugue of mine just recently wrote and failed so it is not something to take lightly.

                    What area of the country are you in?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I live in Edmonton, Alberta. Where abouts are you b-dog?

                      I am a member of ASIS and my local chapter. My disadvantage is that there are about 15 PSP's in Canada. Whereas there are hundreds of CPP's. My ASIS chapter does not offer a prep course, or study group for PSP. I have taken part in the CPP group studies for assistance, but that is it. I have been studying for almost a year now, getting prepped. I was just looking for some 'experienced' knowledge of the test.

                      I find that the CPP questions are easier, but more diverse. The PSP is tageted directly at the technology, application and implementations of PPS's.

                      Your right, nothing to take lightly. But then again, neither are the NHL playoffs!!! GO OILERS GO!!!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If you go to the ASIS Toronto website, I'm sure our PSP contact would be willing to throw a bone your way. I think his contact email might even be there. If not, you can contact him through the website admin.

                        Comment

                        Leaderboard

                        Collapse
                        Working...
                        X