Hotel Security Directors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotel Security Directors?

Any hotel security directors here? I'm a 22 year veteran of law enforcement and I am a Lt. on a agency with 30 sworn officers. I am involved with diversity issues and I feel I have a strtong crime prevention background. I also have a BA in Criminal Justice. I am considering getting my CPP, but obviously that is down the road. Anyway, I've been thinking about security director jobs but I really don't know much about the hospitality industry. Am I what hotels are looking for or do ass't directors generally get promoted to the director's position? Any info or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the SIW forums. I moved your post to this thread as a starting point for you.

Here's a link to a thread that may help answer your questions.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Curtis,

I did read that thread, however it is about hospital security, which I would imagine is different than hotel security. Thanks.

Comment

Sorry about that - they both start with 'H'. There are a few members who do Hotel Security on the site.
        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
        Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Including HotelSecurity

He is in Canada, but could be a wealth of knowledge for you
          SecurityProfessional is Back up and running!

Comment

Welcome Joe. My case is not typical. I have been the Assistant Director since the mid 80's. In the mid 90's our Director died & his title was given to the Director of Security for the company that manges the 3 hotels I am Assistant for. The buck stops with him but the day-to-day operations are done by me.

Montreal has at the most 30 hotels with Security Departments. Hotels over the years have cut back a lot. (An example is that even though I am Assistant for 3 hotels I work a 40 shift as a solo Officer at the biggest hotel, my Director has other duties at Head Office). Many of the other hotels only have overnight security & therefore no Director, they report to the Front Desk or other manager. When I started in the business in 1977 it was unheard of to have Contract Security in hotels. Today Securitas has most of the hotels in Montreal. Some Directors are employees of Securitas. The others did work their way up from the bottom.

Another thing, as least here in Montreal, is that the Directors tend to keep their jobs for a long time. There has not been many openings over the years.

One other thing. Hotels (at least the ones I know) tend to have their security take care of a lot of safety issues rather than law enforcement. So much so that the only Director I can remember that being hired from outside of an hotel used to work for a Fire Department not a Police Department.

Good luck though - I can only say what the situation is in Montreal. I have a feeling it might be like this all over North American because over the years people have tried to set up Associations of Hotel Security Directors & have failed because of not enough interest or people.
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I really don't know what the emphasis of hotel security is down here.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. There a lot of sharp pencils in this security box.
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X