Hello!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello!

I guess I'll go ahead and tell you a little about myself.

I'm 21 years old at the moment. Was born in New Jersey but have been living in Florida since I was about 10.

I'm currently a Security Enforcement Supervisor for a large Convention Resort and Hotel Company in Orlando, FL at one of their smaller tour and travel properties. I've been a supervisor now for over 4 months and been in the security industry for almost 1.5 years now.

I am in the process of working towards becoming a police officer as well, so keeping my fingers crossed about that.

I came across this website while looking for opinions on how to setup my equipment belt and have finally found the time to sit down and look at many of the topics here and I have really liked what I've seen and read among all the different topics.

I hope to gain some advice and knowledge as well as perhaps offer some too.

My nickname at work varies from Deputy Dawg (yes the old cartoon) to Sheriff thus my name here.

Thanks for letting me join!
    Last edited by Deputy Dawg; 11-07-2008, 12:54 PM.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Welcome to the site. I must tell you, having done the whole LE thing, I would really consider the profession you are currently in. I know of a few people who are heads of Security for some pretty swanky resorts and they make very good money, plus they work and live in places where many of us only dream of - or spend alot of money to visit.

As far as duty belt - my placement of equipment was always dictated by what was comfortable for me.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Curtis is correct on two accounts.
      If you like what you're doing and making a boatload of meoney, stick with it and keep learning as much about security as you can. This craft changes so much so fast at times it is like catching and holding onto a greased pig.
      As far as placement of equipment on your belt, comfort is key and accessibility, a close second. But whatever you do, do not, repeat, do not place any hard item in the small of your back. If for whatever reason you land on your back, your breath and mobility will rapidly disappear and God forbid, perhaps your life.
      Enjoy the day,
      Bill

Comment

Thanks for the advice on the Equipment palcement Bill... Guess I better rethink the CPR mask palcement or buy my own smaller version. I did post in the topic about equipment placement and put up a pic of my setup. http://forums.securityinfowatch.com/...4368#post54368

Currently, and not bashing where I work, I am not paid very well. After insurance and taxes, barely make over 300 a week. So I really don't have plans to stay in this industry unless the police thing doesn't work out.

My main issue is that I never finished college, no military background, and I'm colorblind... So I've been having trouble getting accepted. Don't really have the money to put myself through academy right now though either as my debit card info was recently stolen and I'm waiting to get my fraud report back so I can be compensated.
        "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Comment

A warm welcome from someone who has been in the hospitality security business for over 30 years

Bill, Curtis, you can make money in this business, really?
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

HI! back at ya! read, contribue...!
            Its not how we die that counts.....
            Its not how we lived that counts....
            all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

G'day from Sydney ............ other areas of interst are sporting fields where you have seasonal fixtures and conventions and I know of 1 expat aussie who is working with an east coast baseball team in Risk Mgt and loving every moment of it (for now). Sadly the money is not paid here to make it worthwhile considering working at similar events.

Welcome aboard.
              "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Welcome

Welcome to the group.
                CAPTAIN KOOLAID 9594

oh ya

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X