Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NRM_Oz
    replied
    Think of Rudy from Survivor the ex Navy Seal who was forced out due to injury - the bloke was a Vietnam Vet who was up there with people 1/3 his age and outlasting them except for an ankle injury. He was the one who was drinking the water knowing how much he could take if it was contaminated whilst the others complained and went thirsty. Age and experience wins hands down.

Your life experience in customer service will be ideal for mall security as people with lost kids, lost parents, lost cars, lost items and lost wallets are usually distraught with worry and looking for support and help from SOMEONE. Perhaps after you hit 35 you suddenly become more aware of your experience and can fastrack to what needs to be done such as calling the police or alerting other people in the mall rather than stare at the ceiling.

Before I forget - welcome aboard to the forums and us old blokes (just a year behind you) can keep going for years to come.

Leave a comment:

• J_Stokes
    replied
    I've worked for most of my career with a nice blend of variously aged people from their early 20's to their 70's the elders usually manned the control/cctv rooms & gatehouses while the younger pups did the heavier work, but one 70 year old did all posts & patrols with the energy of most of the younger guys but really if you have an 87 year old on your staff doing anything more than answering phones or filing reports you may want to enhance your staff with some younger personnel. Hi Neil. ( I know, I know age discrimination shame on me) j.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    I had a 72 year old who could do all that was required of him. There are also plently of observe & report type of security, not all posts need swat teams.

Leave a comment:

• CAPTAIN KOOLAID
    replied
    Thanks GCMC

Originally posted by gcmc security part 2 View Post
    When you have a guy that is 87 years old who can barely walk at a post that requires patrols on the hour. Or at a site that may require him to physically take a person to the ground.
    I couldn't have put it better myself.

Leave a comment:

• gcmc security part 2
    replied
    When you have a guy that is 87 years old who can barely walk at a post that requires patrols on the hour. Or at a site that may require him to physically take a person to the ground.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by CAPTAIN KOOLAID View Post
    Sadly age doesn't matter in security. But (40) isn't that old. So welcome pull up a rocking chair and join in. Remember there is no such thing as a dumb questions. So ask anything you like.
    Could you explain why it is sad?

Leave a comment:

• CAPTAIN KOOLAID
    replied
    Welcome

Sadly age doesn't matter in security. But (40) isn't that old. So welcome pull up a rocking chair and join in. Remember there is no such thing as a dumb questions. So ask anything you like.

Leave a comment:

• Maelstrom
    replied
    Age is nothing more than a state of mind (and some sagging skin ) seriously I entered this field at 35 and have found it most rewarding (and interesting)... personally I really enjoy the autonomy

BTW welcome to the forums!

Leave a comment:

• J_Stokes
    replied
    Greetings & welcome aboard Jeff. I didn't get into the business until I was 30 and only intended to earn a few dollars doing it until I landed a spot in the back in the automotive business (slow business caused a lay-off) Started on a college campus loved the job & never looked back. a great move for me. Give it a try should you find it's not for you there's always your customer service experience to fall back on. Good Luck j.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    Originally posted by security new guy 1968 View Post
    I was wondering if I was to old (will be 40 this year)for mall security. I have no convictions at all, and was wanting to get in this feild part time I work at nights for a grocery store. I have no experince at all in the security field, but have around 20 years of customer service experince. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
    Jeff
    First of all Jeff, welcome to the forums.
    We all have to start somewhere and many security companies advertise, "No experience necessary." Your people skills might be of assistance to you. Many county sheriff departments do not have age requirements so if you are in good health with a clean record you might try there.
    My advice is don't get into security just to do something else but on the other hand you might find it interesting.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• security new guy 1968
    started a topic Hi from Indianapolis area

Hi from Indianapolis area

I was wondering if I was to old (will be 40 this year)for mall security. I have no convictions at all, and was wanting to get in this feild part time I work at nights for a grocery store. I have no experince at all in the security field, but have around 20 years of customer service experince. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
    Jeff

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X