Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from California

Hello,

My name is Rick, and I am a recently retired police officer from northern California. I retired after 23+ years on the force. I have been both a patrolman and a detective (which we call inspector's.)

I started out in the uniformed security field in 1974, became plain clothes security in 1978, became a police reserve (non paid volunteer) in 1980, then decided I should get paid for doing the work, so I got myself hired as a regular police officer in 1983.

I decided that going back into the security field was a good idea, but then I found out that even with all my police training, I had to go through all the same training that someone who has never been in the field has to go through. Even though I am authorized to carry a concealed weapon in every state in the country, I have to get a state permit to carry an exposed weapon. I also have to get the permits for baton and mace carry (I have been carrying all this stuff since 1980.)

Oh well, one has to do what one has to do to get the job. I'm just happy I found your web site which has alot of good info regarding the security field, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the change of pace working with the public on a lower key basis. Hopefully I won't be dealing with any more murders, robberies or rapes. But if I do it will get handled. Be talking with you again soon.

Hi there, Nice to meet ya rick! well just to give you FYI, most of the time as a security officer you will face the same things and types of people you did as law enforcement officer depending on the type of property you are assigned to (section 8 housing complexs are on example).........
    Its not how we die that counts.....
    Its not how we lived that counts....
    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

Welcome Aboard sir! First, thank you for your years of service. Secondly, all of those incidents you hope not to get involved in.....You just may. I deal with all of those issue nightly! I look forward to your input.

Be Safe,

Hank
      " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

Welcome to the forum Rick. There are a mix of us who have had military and civilian backgrounds and entered the security field. Let us know what you think and what formed that thinking and how it can relate to the world of security. Within a matter of months, not years, the security industry will take on more complex roles not previously envisioned as Homeland Security comes more and more to the fore. That is when dual career fields will truly pay off.
        Enjoy the day,
        Bill

Comment

Good to hear from another Californian.

California Security Blog
          Domain Registration Services

Comment

Originally posted by bpdblue View Post
            I started out in the uniformed security field in 1974, became plain clothes security in 1978, became a police reserve (non paid volunteer) in 1980
            Hmmm... I find this police reservist aspect intriguing, how does that all work anyway?

BTW Welcome to the forum!
            "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

Welcome

Welcome Rick ya reg can be pain but they just want make sure everone on same page.

Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post
              Hmmm... I find this police reservist aspect intriguing, how does that all work anyway?
              Originally posted by Maelstrom View Post

BTW Welcome to the forum!

The city pays for training in return you work 40 hours a month with no pay. Then trun around and get payng details for 20 to 35 hour with 4 hour min.
              CAPTAIN KOOLAID 9594

oh ya

Comment

About being a police reserve (in california at least)

A police reserve (in california) is basically a non paid police officer. It has been almost 25 years since I was a reserve so I will not guarantee that everything I am going to write is completely correct.

A reserve officer joins a police department by going through a process similar to a regular officer, including at least completing a full application, a complete background, medical check-up, and psychological testing. You may also have to take a written and an agility test.

All the above is done after you have completed the necessary educational training, which I believe consists of 3 modules of various lessons. (The module training is extensive, and I think you might as well put yourself through the police academy, it is not that much more, and you can do it quicker, even though there are many more hours involved, and you go full time to the academy. Additionally, with the regular academy you can be a reserve or get hired as a regular, but with the reserve academy, you can only be a reserve.)

I think everyone who wants to be a police officer full time should try out being a reserve first. If you don't like police work you will still have your regular job. During my career in law enforcement there were several (10+) people who were put through the academy by the department, but did not even make it through their fto training before quitting because they couldn't handle the job. When I retired the department hired a guy who they gave my old badge number to. I was told he only lasted 2 or 3 weeks until he quit.

Anyway, as a reserve you can get paid to work special functions, and some departments even pay to do patrol work, but you ARE NOT a permanent member of the department, you do not have off duty police powers (ie-carrying a concealed weapon, unless your department issues a ccw), you can be sent packing at the whim of your administration, and there is no appeal process.

Depending on the department you can be allowed to do almost any police function there is (if you are a level 1 reserve), including taking the old crown victoria out by yourself and handling calls, or you may have to always ride with a regular officer, handle no paperwork, take no calls, make no arrests, ect.

I worked as a reserve for a department that was very small (8 regulars) but had 32 reserves. The department wanted us to get out there and do it all, but gave the reserves perks like the ccw. To tell you the truth, being a reserve was the best 3+ years I had in law enforcement, but when I got hired as a regular getting paid to do the work sure made up for a lot of the additional time I put in and the lesser amount of good times I had over those 23+ years as a paid cop.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation
                  "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

I think we need something similar to that in Australia as the amount of times (like special events or NYE) when the extra bodies would help out just in numbers would be a blessing in disguise. Mind you we have trouble retaining those we have as Police now due to the system and the pressures of community policing whilst understaffed.

Welcome aboard Rick - your knowledge and experience will be a great asset to the forums.
                    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X