New Guy Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy Here

Hi everyone. My name is Brent, and I am a 20 year old college student working part time security at an upscale preparatory school. Just wanted to introduce myself since I am new at this site! Thanks. Brent

Welcome. What's your major?
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I am majoring in Administration of Justice (Fancy new term for criminal justice). I am working as a security officer to get some law enforcement experience and make some money for college at the same time. Could some of you tell me about what kind of security work you are in? Thanks. Brent

Comment

Originally posted by Brent311
        ... Could some of you tell me about what kind of security work you are in? Thanks. Brent
        See "What type of security are you doing?" under General Discussion.

Comment

Welcome to the site Brent. The one thing I want to say is Security is not law enforcement experience. If you ever mention that to a police officer, especially when you put an application in with a LE agency, they will laugh you out the door. It does help teach you certain aspects, such as report writing. However, there are many things that security does that LE would never do, and vise versa.

Comment

Originally posted by soontobeLEO
            ..... The one thing I want to say is Security is not law enforcement experience...
            Depends. A security officer who is trained in handcuffing, batons, OC, etc. and makes arrests, testifies in court, is gaining LE experience. The training intensity and procedures may vary from LE, but the judgment, skills, and the like will help. A s/o who is trained to observe and report, like I am, would be pushing it to say they are receiving experience in LE.

Comment

I have a lot of friends in LE just from being a CJ major for the last 3 years. It's amazing how many officers have been in my classes. I plan on going to the MS Highway Patrol after I graduate. My best friend, who is a current trooper, keeps telling me that my job is one step closer to getting there, and that there is nothing wrong with being a S/O. So I assume he is saying that I am getting some type of LE experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                Depends. A security officer who is trained in handcuffing, batons, OC, etc. and makes arrests, testifies in court, is gaining LE experience. The training intensity and procedures may vary from LE, but the judgment, skills, and the like will help. A s/o who is trained to observe and report, like I am, would be pushing it to say they are receiving experience in LE.
                True. Amtrak Police, DOD Police, Veterans Affairs Police, and a few others specifically state on their applications that a security patrol officer who has qualifying experience may be eligble for "law enforcement experience" credit if they perform the same duties "as outlined," which are as above.
                Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                  True. Amtrak Police, DOD Police, Veterans Affairs Police, and a few others specifically state on their applications that a security patrol officer who has qualifying experience may be eligble for "law enforcement experience" credit if they perform the same duties "as outlined," which are as above.
                  Interesting. I wonder if I could apply the past 5 years of doing that toward credits.
                  "We appreciate all the hard work you've done, the dedicated hours you have worked, and the lives you have saved. However, since this is your third time being late to work, we are terminating your employment here."

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X