Newbie: Armored Transport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie: Armored Transport

Hey guys. I am currently a college student who just got a job in armored transport. I realize the pay is not all that great but for me it seems like a good place to start.

I am located in Washington and my understanding is that I need to get an armed security license before I can carry a weapon on the job. I was told that this process takes 3 months. Can anyone verify this? Three months seems like a long time to be unarmed on the job. I am currently a concealed pistol license holder but I assume since I am working security I can not conceal?

Thanks,

welcome to the fourms, hope that you make us your home!
    Its not how we die that counts.....
    Its not how we lived that counts....
    all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

Originally posted by chrischris View Post
      Hey guys. I am currently a college student who just got a job in armored transport. I realize the pay is not all that great but for me it seems like a good place to start.

I am located in Washington and my understanding is that I need to get an armed security license before I can carry a weapon on the job. I was told that this process takes 3 months. Can anyone verify this? Three months seems like a long time to be unarmed on the job. I am currently a concealed pistol license holder but I assume since I am working security I can not conceal?

Thanks,
      Hello, you need to check with the laws of your state regarding being armed on the job. In my state P.A., you need to apply for the certification, be accepted, take the training and your good to go.

I am surprised your employer does not require the certification/license of its employees. Are they going to pay for it?
      formerly C&A

Comment

No, they are not going to pay for it. I am hoping someone from Washington can chime in and provide more details about the process.

Comment

No, they are not going to pay for it. I am hoping someone from Washington can chime in and provide more details about the process.
          Greetings and welcome to the forum. The Washington State D.O.L. requires that you first become an unarmed guard and then go to a C.J.T.C. certified firearms instructor and get tested. The whole process in explained here:

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/secur...ggetarmed.html

Comment

Thanks,

What company are you with ?

The one I work for has a policy of reimbursing (?) you for your expenses (i.e. commercial driver license, guard and firearms permit.).

I think most if not all of the major companies would have that policy since it is a write off.
            The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

www.patrol4u.com

sigpic

Comment

The time it takes to obtain your Armed Guard License could very well be 3 months, or longer. I have seen them come in as little as 2 weeks, and take as long as 6 months. It all depends on the circumstances. First off, the State is not known for their punctuality and urgency when it comes to Security Guard Licensing. They are usually backed up. The kind of things that can prolong your Armed Guard License is your residential history. If you have moved around the country alot, they will need to pull from everywhere you have lived. Next is the actual Firearms Certification Course. You will need this certificate prior to even applying for the License, as a copy of the certificate must be included with the license. So get your cert done ASAP. One thing that will speed up the process tremendously is for you to have a Concealed Weapons Permit. That way, the background will already be completed. Again, go to the website that Investigation gave you and good luck!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X