....Back in the Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ....Back in the Business

Just a hello to all. After almost an 8 year absense I have returned to the security field. - Working for one of the largest Refining and Manufacturing companies in both Plant Protection and Emergency Response {Fire/EMS type Stuff} ought' to bring about some new intresting challenges.

Welcome. I look forward to your posts, especially with a background in EMS and the FD.
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Welcome aboard.
      "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Well after the first week of training I thought I knew about the Security Industry. Being part of a refinery of well over 30 acres on a water front property with a rail system and approximatley 500-700 employees a shift I was pretty amazed.

I learned things about Maritime Security, Chemical Plants, and yes that nasty word....Terrorisim that I didn't know existed. My training continues at 0700 on Monday with our Firefighting duties, patrol duties, report writing, vehicle, employee searches, and more general security proceedures. -- We hit the field after christmas for 2 weeks of supervised field training.

I know I've been out of the loop for awhile but I honestly didn't know the industry has grown in so many proportions. We're a multi-task unit charged with Security, Fire, and Medical as well as some employee processing. I've been told that the $50,000.00 a year salary is only the begining before additional training and overtime. Has the rate of pay for security personnel changed as well ?

Comment

Originally posted by exguard
          Well after the first week of training I thought I knew about the Security Industry. Being part of a refinery of well over 30 acres on a water front property with a rail system and approximatley 500-700 employees a shift I was pretty amazed.

I learned things about Maritime Security, Chemical Plants, and yes that nasty word....Terrorisim that I didn't know existed. My training continues at 0700 on Monday with our Firefighting duties, patrol duties, report writing, vehicle, employee searches, and more general security proceedures. -- We hit the field after christmas for 2 weeks of supervised field training.

I know I've been out of the loop for awhile but I honestly didn't know the industry has grown in so many proportions. We're a multi-task unit charged with Security, Fire, and Medical as well as some employee processing. I've been told that the $50,000.00 a year salary is only the begining before additional training and overtime. Has the rate of pay for security personnel changed as well ?
          Not for me. We get our cost of living raise every year or 2 & that's it,
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by exguard

You do not fit into the classic definition of "security personnel," especially if you have to have Port Security Training, and pull Fire/Medical response. The average port security person stands there, does nothing, and if something happens, calls the Port of Whatever Police. They do not inspect anything (That's the police's job), nor do they confront anyone (that's the police's job.)

The Port of Miami is currently having a problem with this because the city pays litterally hundreds of thousands of dollars in overtime to Metro Dade Police, because the port security plan requires a police officer to do anything. At all.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Understood - I was just pretty amazed at our level of responsibility. -- The training however I did find out is Coast Guard Mandated, funded by Homeland Security, and manditory on a bi-yearly basis. We don't make physical arrests or touch anyone except to defend our-selves during an altercation but that's most any security officer I suppose.

Our Safety and Security Unit is comprised of Physical Patrol Officers, a fire department, medical aid unit, regional communications division, safety, hazzardous materials teams, and our newest addition a K9 Officer.

Off duty we're required to carry pagers and are part of the Emergency Response Team, The Security Response Team, or both. We respond to any of the three refineries in an emergency and are firefighters, EMT's, Security, High Angle, Haz-Mat or what-ever. --- Rarley are outside agencies involved unless an actual crime is committed and charges are signed. Mainly we handle our crimminal activity in house which is all pretty minor. Fires are handled by the on duty Marshals - at a 2nd. alarm we page the ERT and SRT and then call for outside agencies if the fire is too much for us to handle - again rare but it has happened. This entire unit is only three years old so thiers bugs to work out - It's amazing that refineries were never really secured prior to 9-1-1
              Last edited by exguard; 12-17-2006, 02:58 PM.

Comment

Hello there
                The role of Security Guard and pay in many places has not changed much in the 25 years I have seen.
                If the role changes, I would hope the pay increases to match the workload.

The Ottawa Canada bus Security Team have been advised they can become special constables, that will give them a raise plus some additional powers.
                Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
                Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
                  Hello there
                  The role of Security Guard and pay in many places has not changed much in the 25 years I have seen.
                  If the role changes, I would hope the pay increases to match the workload.

The Ottawa Canada bus Security Team have been advised they can become special constables, that will give them a raise plus some additional powers.
                  This how many years after the shooting in their garage?
                  I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                  Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                    This how many years after the shooting in their garage?

Good point!
                    Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
                    Groucho Marx

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X