Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Unhappy) Hello from Georgia

Hello to everyone.

I finally got a job I loved. A job doing private security, in both a patrol and stationary post aspect. It had everything. Great freedom and a great (and pretty darn big) area, a very large mall/plaza with over 70 businesses, and right here in town. It also helped that a co-worker there became my best friend, "lastfirstborn" who just introduced himself on here not too long ago.

After working for this company on this site for a year and five months I just lost my job today.
    I have many questions regarding this and events having to do with it.
    But first I'd like to ask where would be an appropriate place on the forums to ask such questions? Problems at work type questions, etc.

I've been meaning to join and say "Hello" and now, unfortunately it has to be like this.
    I hope I can find another job in security very soon.
    Sorry for a downer of a hello...but....Hello! \

-ERIC
    "Hold off thy hands! Or by Heaven I'll make a ghost of him that lets me!" -Hamlet, William Shakepeare

Welcome from Washington to SIW. We can probably help you right here with the problem, what were you canned for?
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Welcome from Montreal. Sorry to hear about the job loss. But go ahead, ask away. If there is one thing we have here, it is plenty of answers/suggestions.
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Well, alrighty.
        Ok.
        Wow. It would take a novel to go over the things that are jus' plain wrong that are going on, especially that I knew/know of after a year and five months.
        A quick few examples just to give you an idea:
        *A Lt. that on several occasions took the site patrol truck for his own use in the middle of the night and all told, put over 250 miles on it.
        -He was not fired for this, though the two big boss men knew all about it-

*The same Lt. has had control of the site phone when he was off duty and myself and the other officer that were on duty have no way of being contacted.
        -This, as you would imagine, has led to a number of incidents of miscommunication with stores, employees and others, not the least of which is hearing from someone: "Where were you guys?"-

*The same Lt. giving his personal number to most stores, so they took to calling him, which does no good when the other officers are on duty. They (we) would be none the wiser if someone needed assistance.

*A Sgt. that officially works 2pm-10pm, but truthfully is there (the days he actually shows up) approx. 3pm or 4pm-8pm.
        -This has come to the attention of the big boss and still, like the Lt., no action was taken.

Ok.
        Now that I've bored you to tears with these tales of woe, let's move on.

According to my Seperation Notice I was fired for, and I quote:
        "Sustained insubordination or unwillingness to comply with supervisory issued directions; Blatant disrespect toward supervisor; Disrespectful toward company owner's initiatives and policies."

Alright.
        "Insubordination"
        You only have my word, and perhaps "lastfirstborn"'s word, that I have NEVER....NEVER failed to comply with an order. Always did I do what I was told and how I was told to do it.
        This then, is a colored version of how they view the world. It is a bald-faced lie.
        And anyway, as with any of this, why was I not chewed out first? Why was I not written up? Why didn't someone say "watch your white a** or I'll fire it!" or something?
        Anyway.

"Disrespect"
        The first I heard of this was at an "evaluation" two weeks ago. I was asked if I had ANY problems with ANY co-worker or ANY supervisor. I was asked and told to "go right ahead and be completely honest"
        Well, I went on to say my few lil complaints about the way the Lt. handled briefings and that they were slightly redundant and that we felt sometimes that he didn't give us enough credit and that he just plain didn't treat us like grown men.
        I never said anything highly negative or all the truely terrible things he had done of late. In fact, in my statements and voice and mannerisms, I sort of downplayed all of my complaints, giving it a lot of leeway. Saying things such as "But I like him, don't get me wrong. But it is hard to communicate with him." and "...But I understand that's just the way he does things and it doesn't really upset anything..." -things like that.
        I was told I was being extremely disrespectful to him and of him and by proxy of the big boss.
        *sigh*

"Disrespect towards owner's initiatives"
        This one I dunno.
        I sent a couple of emails to the bossman, about a couple of concerns. Nothing big. No real problems. One was my opinion on bike patrol (in the negative). One was about uniforms (possible polos for summer, more comfortable pants- these were questions, mind you) and also about the fact that one tire on the patrol truck was so bald it was bound to blow apart any day, I had told the Lt. weeks ago.
        All of this was written in the most....MOST humble and respectful way I knew how. I went out of my way.
        So...somehow there I was disrespectful of his initiatives.

Ugh.

The one big thing is this.
        I loved my job despite its pitfalls. I discovered on the Secretary of State's website (here in Georgia), that a company HAS to by LAW give their officers a minimum of certified training....by a state certified training instructor.
        This NEVER happened. It continues to not happen.
        Oh, sure I had the ol' "on-the-job" sort of training. I learned A LOT throughout all the time I was there and handled anything that weird place thew at me...but no "real" training".

Do I do anything about this? Not out of spite, but...for...I dunno...the good of mankind? -L- I don't know.
        Are there some exceptions to some companies, so that they don't have to give their officers the otherwise state-mandated training? I've no idea about these things.
        So I don't know if I'd be pis*ing in the wind if I filed a complaint with the Georgia Board of Private Detective and Security Agencies.

I'm sure I know what most of you may say. That the powers of the universe kicked me outta there for my own good.
        I guess I can take peace in the fact that this is a fly-by-night company and so it'll drown in the own mess it creates.
        Maybe it's heartless and mean to say so...but I hope they do.

Anyway.
        What would you do?
        Turn the other cheek and forget them, or...do...what?
        "Hold off thy hands! Or by Heaven I'll make a ghost of him that lets me!" -Hamlet, William Shakepeare

Comment

Good news: There are other companies. Good luck finding one that doesn't play those games.

Not so Good News: You need a lawyer if you want your job back.

Bad News: That's enough to deny unemployment.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Well, I wouldn't want to work under them all over again, so that's ok.

But that does suck if I had decided on trying to play in the red tape machine of unemployment.
            Crap.

Comment

And insofar as "other companies"...

I live in a large and growing suberb south of Atlanta.
              There are indeed many other companies, 85% of which are at least based in Atlanta.

There is one thing that I fear in this world. It's such an extreme and irrational fear that it truely does in fact hinder me. It isn't a legitimate phobia, but it's darn close.
              Fear of highway and interstate travel.

I know, I know. At 32 I should get the *%#@ over it. But it only sufaced a few years back. But it's bad. I start almost hyperventilating and shaking and so on when I get on a major highway.
              Yeah.
              Not the best thing to have when you have to travel to a branch office to get a job.
              Ugh.

Comment

During your evaluation when they told you to be honest & express yourself, nothing would be held against you. Guess what, they lied. Unfortunately that's life. My advice. Move on. Yes you could hire a lawyer & maybe force them to take you back but if an employer wants you out (& if they are forced to take you back they really would) they will find a way.

Just a question. You seem like an honsest open person. You have written things in your post that if your Lt knew about I'm sure he would have tried his hardest to get rid of you. Is it possible you were too open with someone you trusted & that person sold you out?
                I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

There's only three of us or so there at a time.
                  And the only two people I was completely open and honest with were two people I trust and were complaining of the same things about the same people.

Now, there were very rare occasions that I would express concern or disagreement about something to the Sgt., but never paint a picture of what I truely thought. I would really, really sugarcoat it. I mean really.
                  (if only I was as honest there as I am in the rest of my life, I'm sure they would have exploded from anger with me as a lot of people tend to do.....or cry.)

As far as getting my job back, that was never my intention. Even if I could, boy would that be uncomfortable. Screw that.
                  I was just wondering if I should be an honest person and go to someone official and let them know what this company is pulling (insofar as no actual training), or just let them stew in their own juices and leave it all alone...or what?

Comment

You are bound, by law, to file a complaint of unregistered activity if you value your security license. (You are a party to the license violation, and possibly an unregistered guard.)

Complaint Procedure:
                    http://www.sos.state.ga.us/plb/detective/complaint.htm

Verify they even have a license:
                    https://secure.sos.state.ga.us/myverification/
                    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by MachFront
                      Hello to everyone.

I finally got a job I loved. A job doing private security, in both a patrol and stationary post aspect. It had everything. Great freedom and a great (and pretty darn big) area,
                      -ERIC
                      Eric,

Let me play devil's advocate here.... What made you feel you had "Great freedom"? Was it because you were not supervised every moment of your shift? You may have, indeed, been treated unfairly but try to take some positive lessons away with you and move on. We can all improve our attitudes and work ethic. At 32, you are still in the learning stage.
                      Richard Dickinson
                      Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
                      DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
                      www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                        You are bound, by law, to file a complaint of unregistered activity if you value your security license. (You are a party to the license violation, and possibly an unregistered guard.)

Complaint Procedure:
                        http://www.sos.state.ga.us/plb/detective/complaint.htm

Verify they even have a license:
                        https://secure.sos.state.ga.us/myverification/
                        If I value my licence? "My"?
                        Now, they indeed do have a licence. But I don't have one myself.
                        Do individual officers need a licence themselves in the state of GA?

I think I'm more confused now.

Comment

Originally posted by hrdickinson
                          Eric,

Let me play devil's advocate here.... What made you feel you had "Great freedom"? Was it because you were not supervised every moment of your shift? You may have, indeed, been treated unfairly but try to take some positive lessons away with you and move on. We can all improve our attitudes and work ethic. At 32, you are still in the learning stage.
                          Oh, I know all this, but thank you.

As far as what I meant by "great freedom" was mainly that the property is so large and we 'had the run of it'. We could post where we wanted, when we wanted and do a patrol when we wanted, where we wanted. So long as both were done throughout the shift at certain intervals, we could, you could say, do pretty much "what we wanted". Not literally of course, but within the parameters of the job.

Comment

Originally posted by MachFront
                            If I value my licence? "My"?
                            Now, they indeed do have a licence. But I don't have one myself.
                            Do individual officers need a licence themselves in the state of GA?

I think I'm more confused now.
                            Hmmmmmm. Worked a year and five months in security at a mall and don't have or know if a license is needed????? Is this total density or is there some chain jerking going on here?

Comment

I was thinking maybe it was proprietary, but after re-read a few of the posts, that seems less and less of the case. Maybe they didnt issue a license, but I cant imagine getting away with that for 5 years.
                              "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
                              "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X