Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Georgia!

Hey everyone.

I'm currently a year and six months into my second security job here in Fayette County Ga. We're about 25 miles south of Atlanta, just for frame of reference.

I was first with Cognisa Security, an American branch of Securicore (think that's spelled right). I was with them doing mall Security in Atlanta for a year, and learned the terminoligy, Ga state laws, safety protocols, and just general ins and outs for mall security work.

After that, my current company took several mall sites (both indoor and outdoor) from Cognisa. The current owner was a Captain for Cognisa's sites for several years, and saw some of the company hiring the wrong type of folks. I'm sure you're all aware of S.O.s carrying without permits or work orders all over the country in the past year, some of them were with Cognisa, Inc.

Being well aware of the pit falls of getting on with a brand new company, I jumped on board being a personal friend of the Captain. I had great respect for both him and his site manager, a man who spent alot of time in the military just before-hand, just like the owner/captain.

It hasn't been all roses, but I do really enjoy where I'm at now. The pay is decent. I LOVE the location. It's an outdoor mall (pretty huge too) not ten minutes from my home. I know the people, practically grew up on this property, and get along fairly well with all my coworkers. The only major gripe is that it's taking a long while to get anything up and running benefits-wise. I also firmly think we should be armed. The company is a go, but the site contract holders don't want us to be so far. Things are getting worse around here, but so far we're handling it. Most of our employees have duty belts and are certifed to give mouth to mouth, use our handcuffs, and we're looking into mace procedures. I wouldn't mind baton either, if we absolutely can't be armed with side arms. I also got my lapel pins and name plate inscribed (just to let you know a little more about my preferences for this job).

Anywho, my fellow officer and myself stumbled onto this site a bit back, and I finally got around to joining. I'm not on my pc much, but I can already tell you I greatly respect the regs on this site. Many of the threads are at the very least very thought provoking to me, and some are just down right entertaining (the animals on site one springs to mind). So, I apoligize for the very long post, and want to say hello to all the denizens of this forum!

J.Fowlkes Agency Assistant Lead S.O.

~Joe Barbee

Welcome to the SIW Message Boards. This is a good site for security professionals as you have already seen. Forgive me for using my favorite introduction word here, but there is a plethora of information here that I personally have been able to take advantage of. I hope you are able to do the same!

Once again,

Welcome!
    "Alright guys listen up, ya'll have probably heard this before, Jackson vs. Securiplex corporation; I am a private security officer, I have no State or governmental authority. I stand as an ordinary citizen. I have no right to; detain, interrogate or otherwise interfere with your personal property-... basically all that means is I'm a cop."-Officer Ernie
    "The Curve" 1998

Comment

Originally posted by BHR Lawson
      Welcome to the SIW Message Boards. This is a good site for security professionals as you have already seen. Forgive me for using my favorite introduction word here, but there is a plethora of information here that I personally have been able to take advantage of. I hope you are able to do the same!

Once again,

Welcome!
      First, welcome Joe!

BHR Lawson if you keep insisting on posting in a language other than English I will have to start getting my posts translated into the Offical language of Quebec & post them in French LOL!
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Hello and welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by lastfirstborn
          Hey everyone.

I'm currently a year and six months into my second security job here in Fayette County Ga. We're about 25 miles south of Atlanta, just for frame of reference.

I was first with Cognisa Security, an American branch of Securicore (think that's spelled right). I was with them doing mall Security in Atlanta for a year, and learned the terminoligy, Ga state laws, safety protocols, and just general ins and outs for mall security work.

After that, my current company took several mall sites (both indoor and outdoor) from Cognisa. The current owner was a Captain for Cognisa's sites for several years, and saw some of the company hiring the wrong type of folks. I'm sure you're all aware of S.O.s carrying without permits or work orders all over the country in the past year, some of them were with Cognisa, Inc.

Being well aware of the pit falls of getting on with a brand new company, I jumped on board being a personal friend of the Captain. I had great respect for both him and his site manager, a man who spent alot of time in the military just before-hand, just like the owner/captain.

It hasn't been all roses, but I do really enjoy where I'm at now. The pay is decent. I LOVE the location. It's an outdoor mall (pretty huge too) not ten minutes from my home. I know the people, practically grew up on this property, and get along fairly well with all my coworkers. The only major gripe is that it's taking a long while to get anything up and running benefits-wise. I also firmly think we should be armed. The company is a go, but the site contract holders don't want us to be so far. Things are getting worse around here, but so far we're handling it. Most of our employees have duty belts and are certifed to give mouth to mouth, use our handcuffs, and we're looking into mace procedures. I wouldn't mind baton either, if we absolutely can't be armed with side arms. I also got my lapel pins and name plate inscribed (just to let you know a little more about my preferences for this job).

Anywho, my fellow officer and myself stumbled onto this site a bit back, and I finally got around to joining. I'm not on my pc much, but I can already tell you I greatly respect the regs on this site. Many of the threads are at the very least very thought provoking to me, and some are just down right entertaining (the animals on site one springs to mind). So, I apoligize for the very long post, and want to say hello to all the denizens of this forum!

J.Fowlkes Agency Assistant Lead S.O.

~Joe Barbee
          Welcome to the forum Joe. I lived in Snellville, GA (near Stone Mountain) for two years, and some areas nearby were starting to have some issues with crime. Be careful at the Mall. The potential for serious trouble is a real possibility in that area.
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Good to have you

Glad to see you found us, take advantage of the experience here, I know I have. These guys are great problem solvers and excellent advice givers, got a problem they put their heads together to make a viable solution. So hello from Washington State
            " You may make fun of us for what we do, but when it hits the fan, you'll be glad we were there"

Comment

Thanks everyone for the welcomes!

And thanks to Mr Security for both wishing safety as well as validating some of my feelings on the matter. Things have gotten a little hot around here every now and again, fortunately for all of us on site, so far we've been able to contact the police and keep things defused for the most part.

I say validation because some people that live just outside of here that I know think this place is the county it was about 20 years ago, and that's just not the case anymore. Not anywhere, really. Whole other subject though lol. Take care everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by lastfirstborn
                Thanks everyone for the welcomes!

And thanks to Mr Security for both wishing safety as well as validating some of my feelings on the matter. Things have gotten a little hot around here every now and again, fortunately for all of us on site, so far we've been able to contact the police and keep things defused for the most part.

I say validation because some people that live just outside of here that I know think this place is the county it was about 20 years ago, and that's just not the case anymore. Not anywhere, really. Whole other subject though lol. Take care everyone!
                lastfirstborn:
                If you have a problem and can't solve it yourself, we'll try to assist. Between all of us, we normally find a workable solution. We go three ways, the forum, the PM or email direct to you. After we email you, we tend to remove the specifics and post it for the benefit of all who read these posts.
                If the bad guys stick together, why not us.
                As Mr. Security and others have stated far better than I, we do our level best.
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X