Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Yeah. The United States Military does not employ "mercs" in their ranks, they simply hire a company like Blackwater.

Leave a comment:

• GCMC Security
    replied
    no they aint mercs (mercs make more money!) They have a regular enlistment they just have to get a citizenship waiver which is fairly easy

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    Yes, they can, I know a man who is a Canadian citizen and American soldier.
    They're called mercenaries (sp?) aren't they? I know of 2 of people I went to high school with who fought with the US forces in Vietnam. Strange considering the number of Americans that came to Canada to avoid going to Vietnam!

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Will57
    However legal aliens can join the US army can't they, in fact it's a well known way of fastracking the citizenship process.
    Yes, they can, I know a man who is a Canadian citizen and American soldier.

Leave a comment:

• Will57
    replied
    However legal aliens can join the US army can't they, in fact it's a well known way of fastracking the citizenship process.

Leave a comment:

• 1stWatch
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    It is not a requirement in most states to be a citizen to hold a professional license. Remember, most states do not consider a licensee to hold any special authority. If you (as the state)attempted to make it "citizen only," you would have to show just cause for this, or someone's got on hell of an EEOC lawsuit going.

So long as you are a lawful alien with work visa, you can work security. I know in Florida you may be armed, as well, as a lawful alien with work visa. The US Government - however - requires citizens on its posts.
    I worked with a gentleman a couple of years ago who was a legal alien from Bosnia. He was commissioned and armed too.

Leave a comment:

• Will57
    replied
    Originally posted by HotelSecurity
    Welcome from Montreal Canada.
    I have a question. Do you have duel citizenship? In both Canada & the US it is necessary to be citizens to work in security. (I beleive). Is there something special between Australia & New Zealand?
    New Zealand and Australian citizens can live and work in either country without any visas or permits. They can even join the Policeforces of each others country and keep their citizenship. Australia doesn't allow it's citizens to have dual citizenship, but NZ does, so I actually have UK citizenship as well.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    It is not a requirement in most states to be a citizen to hold a professional license. Remember, most states do not consider a licensee to hold any special authority. If you (as the state)attempted to make it "citizen only," you would have to show just cause for this, or someone's got on hell of an EEOC lawsuit going.

So long as you are a lawful alien with work visa, you can work security. I know in Florida you may be armed, as well, as a lawful alien with work visa. The US Government - however - requires citizens on its posts.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Welcome from Montreal Canada.

I believe it's the same here in North America, more private security than public police.

I have a question. Do you have duel citizenship? In both Canada & the US it is necessary to be citizens to work in security. (I beleive). Is there something special between Australia & New Zealand?

Leave a comment:

• Will57
    started a topic Hi from New Zealand

Hi from New Zealand

I've been working in the security indutry for some time, both in New Zealand and Australia. Prior to that I worked as a police traffic officer in New Zealand.

New Zealand doesn't allow security officers to carry any weapons, (even our police are unarmed) nor do we have any special powers or authority. However there are more licensed security guards in the country than there are police (about 10,000 guards vs 7000 police)

As with most countries they range from good to very very bad, mainly because the pay is quite low in most companies so they have trouble hiring decent staff.

I have visited the USA several times, and been on ride a longs with California Police depts and also with a security officer in Orange county.

I have also visited South Africa and looked at the security industry over there.
    Attached Files

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X