Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Newbie

Hi there,

My name is Jim. I just launched a new business, and I am sure that I could use some pointers from the veterans out there. I am selling a new guard tour system (www.mygopatrol.com).

The reason I started the business is because I have been a security officer supervisor in charge of finding a new guard tour system and it was not a very enjoyable experience. We had been using the Guard1 system, but both of our readers had quit working on us. Guard1 recommended that we buy new ones from them for about $600 each. My chief was unwilling to pay that much, so he had me look for a less expensive one. We needed one because it kept our insurance costs down. It was very difficult to find a good durable system that was less expensive. I finally found one, but it was tough to find.

So, I thought that I could do an better job myself, and I found a manufacturer and got everything worked out. Now I am selling my own system.

I am here to learn more about the security industry and get a feel for how I can contribute.

If any of you would like to critique my website/product, please do so. I welcome the criticism because it can only help me improve.

Thanks for your time!
    Jim

www.mygopatrol.com
    www.mygopatrol.com - GoPatrol Guard Tour System

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hi there,

My name is Jim. I just launched a new business, and I am sure that I could use some pointers from the veterans out there. I am selling a new guard tour system (www.mygopatrol.com).

The reason I started the business is because I have been a security officer supervisor in charge of finding a new guard tour system and it was not a very enjoyable experience. We had been using the Guard1 system, but both of our readers had quit working on us. Guard1 recommended that we buy new ones from them for about $600 each. My chief was unwilling to pay that much, so he had me look for a less expensive one. We needed one because it kept our insurance costs down. It was very difficult to find a good durable system that was less expensive. I finally found one, but it was tough to find.

So, I thought that I could do an better job myself, and I found a manufacturer and got everything worked out. Now I am selling my own system.

I am here to learn more about the security industry and get a feel for how I can contribute.

If any of you would like to critique my website/product, please do so. I welcome the criticism because it can only help me improve.

Thanks for your time!
    Jim

www.mygopatrol.com
    This site isn't as active as it used to be.

If you are looking for advice, you might want to try privateofficer.ning.com. They have slightly more activity than this site.

Comment

Welcome aboard. You can research some old threads on the subject. Two suggestions - one is to provide five guard ID disks rather than three. Even on a small site where you are running one guy per shift, one or two extras for whatever purpose (part time subs or what not) isn't a bad idea.

Provide great customer support. My biggest issue with one of your competitors is they leave customer support to the local distributor. Unfortunately, said local office is the exclusive vendor for the product, so they don't give a rip for any of their customers except for the two or three mega guard companies that make up the bulk of their business.

The price point is on the mark - here's hoping you do well.

Comment

Welcome aboard, pal. I have a few tips and insights to share. The detex system at the Allied Barton account I worked on was unique. Basically, there was a series of card readers set up all around the site at intervals. Officers were strictly ordered to walk to each card reader in a defined sequence, tapping their individual Security Protection ID Badge to each reader in the assigned order and at the assigned time. If an officer showed up "late" and tapped the reader after he should have been there already, the reader would then emit a high pitched wail along with several thousands volts of electricity. This would shock the officer and would generally lead to the officer defecating in his pants, prompting a behavior change and more timely patrols later. If an officer skipped a reader, then when he arrived at the next reader (whichever it was in the sequence didn't matter), the reader would also fire another Behavioral Reprogramming Energy Bolt (BREB) directly into his gut. All in all it worked well and it got the officers sufficiently motivated to perform.

Have you looked at other enhancements for the security systems you are offering? I worked with a company that utilized bomb sniffing robots once. The artificial proboscis grafted onto the robot's face enabled it to sniff as if it had a human nose. I hear that there are also now automated Segways that can drive themselves, eliminating the need to have an officer onboard.

Comment

Thanks!

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
          Welcome aboard. You can research some old threads on the subject. Two suggestions - one is to provide five guard ID disks rather than three. Even on a small site where you are running one guy per shift, one or two extras for whatever purpose (part time subs or what not) isn't a bad idea.

Provide great customer support. My biggest issue with one of your competitors is they leave customer support to the local distributor. Unfortunately, said local office is the exclusive vendor for the product, so they don't give a rip for any of their customers except for the two or three mega guard companies that make up the bulk of their business.

The price point is on the mark - here's hoping you do well.
          Condo Guard, thank you for the tips; very helpful! I do plan on giving great customer support. That is one of the things I am hoping really sets me apart from the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by IraqiFreedom2000 View Post
            Welcome aboard, pal. I have a few tips and insights to share. The detex system at the Allied Barton account I worked on was unique. Basically, there was a series of card readers set up all around the site at intervals. Officers were strictly ordered to walk to each card reader in a defined sequence, tapping their individual Security Protection ID Badge to each reader in the assigned order and at the assigned time. If an officer showed up "late" and tapped the reader after he should have been there already, the reader would then emit a high pitched wail along with several thousands volts of electricity. This would shock the officer and would generally lead to the officer defecating in his pants, prompting a behavior change and more timely patrols later. If an officer skipped a reader, then when he arrived at the next reader (whichever it was in the sequence didn't matter), the reader would also fire another Behavioral Reprogramming Energy Bolt (BREB) directly into his gut. All in all it worked well and it got the officers sufficiently motivated to perform.

Have you looked at other enhancements for the security systems you are offering? I worked with a company that utilized bomb sniffing robots once. The artificial proboscis grafted onto the robot's face enabled it to sniff as if it had a human nose. I hear that there are also now automated Segways that can drive themselves, eliminating the need to have an officer onboard.
            IraqFreedom2000, thanks for the humor Most security officers do not like ANY guard tour system (whether or not they get high pitched wails or electric shocks). My system, I must confess, is much more simple than the one noted above; no defecation involved. It simple records dates and times. No patrol schedules or any of that mess.

Do you think I could find RFID tags that shoot darts filled with adrenaline to keep guards awake?

-Jim

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X