Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New To Forum

Hello everyone
    Used to work for a large company in upstate N.Y. doing warehouse work.Did that for 33 years.Now moved to Broward County Florida and trying to find a decent security company to work for.Either in Maimi or Broward.Hopefully i will find one soon.

Have you taken your Class D security license class yet? Most D schools have names of security companies that are hiring. You can't work in the contract industry without the D.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
      Have you taken your Class D security license class yet? Most D schools have names of security companies that are hiring. You can't work in the contract industry without the D.
      Yes i have a D license.They were useless in finding anybody in class anything.Most security people i speak to tell me how bad their company is.There must be some good ones out there somewhere.My friend works for a large security company and he is getting ready to leave it cause its so bad.I'd like to mention the name but it might get me in trouble so i won't.

Comment

Basically, everyone's going to have a story about how most security companies suck. Look for companies that actually try determine if they want to hire you or not. If you walk in and they're ready to give you a uniform that day, be wary.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Where in upstate NY did you work?

Comment

Lake Placid area to Syracuse is nice country. And the Rolling Rock beer adds to the views...
            What area actually is considered UPSTATE NY?
            Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
            Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
              Lake Placid area to Syracuse is nice country. And the Rolling Rock beer adds to the views...
              What area actually is considered UPSTATE NY?
              If you ask people who live in NYC, upstate is anything north of the Bronx. I consider upstate to be west and north of the Albany area.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackhole
                Where in upstate NY did you work?
                Pearl River New York off the Palisades Parkway.I lived in the Times Square area in Manhatten so going to Pearl River everyday was upstate to me.The commute was just fine with me as i was going against traffic on the 7am to 3;30 shift.I just had to watch out for the sneaky Leos in the early morning as traffic was so light.In the pm they didn't seem to bother you much

Comment

Hi all, new here, working security/PI for a couple years since moving to the Palm Beach area. Thought I'd introduce myself here and weigh in on what I've seen about local working conditions in Florida.

The best jobs seem to be proprietary, working for a business, not contract an agency. Businesses don't need to use licensed agencies or guards. That said, many businesses prefer licensed guards, particularly a lot of gated communities, condos and marinas. They just don't hire through agencies. They don't give the level of service required.

It kind of stands to reason that an employer who cares about certain levels of service should be a little better to work for. There are also local agencies who specialize in high end guard work, while they last, before they sell out to the big guys.

The trick is learning to read between the lines in the classifieds. Look for high paying jobs in good areas asking for add on skills that aren't posted by contract agencies. Lanquage skills, emergency medical skills, military and leo backgrounds are a good sign. Appologies from a newbie for ranting.
                  Booth

Comment

Don't forget, if they want armed, they must have a D and G license, or they're illegal as all hell. You have no idea how many condo associations I've seen with guys in uniforms and .45s - they thought that gun license stuff was just for contract guards.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X