Hello from Washington DC!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Washington DC!

Hey everyone... I was active on this forum a few years ago and then kind of disappeared for a while after being transferred at work and having much less time to devote to such things. Anyway, I am a policeman in Washington DC, recently reassigned into a force protection role, after spending the last two years on the street as a uniformed police officer in a traditional policing role.

Anyway, I started off in the Security and Law Enforcement Field with my first job working for the Walt Disney World Company Security Division as a uniformed officer and found that I really loved wearing a uniform and performing security and law enforcement duties. From there, I eventually ended up working briefly for Ahold USA in their Corporate Loss Prevention Unit and finally landed a job as a Campus Police Officer in Washington DC and from there I moved on to my current position with the District of Columbia Government, where I've done everything from serving on the Mayor's Detail, worked a footbeat in Downtown Washington DC, a two year stint in the Physical Security Unit conducting threat assessments, then back to the streets for two years in a traditional policing role and now recently reassigned to the District's new Consolidated Forensics Laboratory.

Anyway, its been quite the adventure so far. I look forward to being active in the forums again and learning and sharing with everyone.
    Last edited by DCPSPDcop; 12-05-2012, 09:49 PM.

Welcome back
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Welcome back. What name did you used to post under?
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

MJW064 is that you?
        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
        Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
          MJW064 is that you?
          Yes, it is... I couldn't get back in under MJW064, so I had to register with a new screen name.

Comment

Missed your posts on here dude, glad to have you back
            Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

What's force protection?
              I used to live in Baltimore, MD until I moved to DE and then NJ. Spent tons of time in DC.

Comment

Originally posted by capurato View Post
                What's force protection?
                I used to live in Baltimore, MD until I moved to DE and then NJ. Spent tons of time in DC.
                It's a term commonly used here in the DC area for law enforcement agencies who perform protective type functions... as in being responsible for protection of critical government infrastructure, facilities and the personnel who make it all work.

For instance, the FBI Police Officers and Pentagon Police Officers, although sworn law enforcement officers perform an entirely Force Protection job function wherein one is responsible for the protection of FBI facilities and the personnel working in them while the other is responsible for the protection of the Pentagon / DoD Facilities in Washington DC and the people who are working in them... thus the term "Force Protection" evolved.

And actually, although commonly referred to as the "Pentagon Police" the official name of their agency is "Pentagon Force Protection Agency."

Comment

Awesome! So you get lots of fun gigs. You like it better than patrol officer?

Comment

Originally posted by capurato View Post
                    Awesome! So you get lots of fun gigs. You like it better than patrol officer?
                    That's a really tough question. I definitely have enjoyed my three separate stints in the Patrol Operations Bureau, mostly because of the immense freedom you have, when working on a big city like Washington DC. Although at the same time, it's definitely the more difficult assignments I have had, just due to the constant radio runs and the complexity of some of the assignments you end up on. And during this last stint, I was assigned to a Squad that was designated as a Rapid Deployment Civil Disturbance Unit... and I absolutely hate CDU duty (which comes along quite a bit in DC, especially last summer when Occupy DC was marching around the city all hours of the day and night). Also, I sometimes get sick of spending so many hours a day cramped up in a Chevy Impala... so I guess I like it... just in moderation.

The best assignment I had was when I was in the Patrol Operations Bureau, but working a foot beat in Downtown Washington DC (Federal Triangle Area). I had a blast helping lost tourists, stopping pedestrian traffic for Road Runners (Presidential or Vice Presidential motorcades), writing tickets and enjoying all the neighborhood Starbucks. And as some of the Senior Members may recall, that assignment ended after a major crash on a Segway which eventually led to my Segway and Mountain Bike Certifications being revoked... which made me very sad.

As far as my current assignment... I can't really weigh in yet... although it is a welcomed relief to be transferred out of the drama zone that my previous Bureau was... that I do know.

And now we are gearing up for a Presidential Inauguration... this will be my third... and I've already received notification that I will be deployed for that.

Comment

Originally posted by DCPSPDcop View Post
                      And now we are gearing up for a Presidential Inauguration... this will be my third... and I've already received notification that I will be deployed for that.
                      Good. You might get to see some members of our group there. I hear Cope, Curtis & ST will be there to congradulate the president on his win
                      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X