Hello from South Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from South Africa

I am from Johannesburg, Gauteng (Transvaal) South Africa.
    I have been in the security Industry for about 10 years.
    I started my security career as a security guard & worked myself up.
    At the current moment I am a site manager for a fairly large security company.

Welcome. I'm in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Been doing hotel security for about 35 years.

I'd be interested to learn about security where you are.

1st question. What are the gun laws there?
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity View Post
      Welcome. I'm in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Been doing hotel security for about 35 years.

I'd be interested to learn about security where you are.

1st question. What are the gun laws there?
      Before you can apply for a firearm licence you first have to complete a competency course for the specified category of firearm you will be using & this has to be renewed every 5 years.
      When you are carrying your firearm it must be holstered & concealed at all times. When you are not carrying it, it must be locked in an approved safe.
      In general when using your firearm (self defence of arresting a perpetrator) you have to prove in court that you used the minimum amount of force, the force must be imminent & be directed at the perpetrator (you can’t shoot a person fleeing from a crime scene) & the force must be justifiable with the crime committed.
      The Magistrate or Judge will ask himself how a reasonable person in a sound state of mind would have reacted if he was in your situation.

Comment

Shanabai I am not really in the resale part of security but I will keep you in mind thanks

Comment

Welcome Warren 14 - I just spent a few days with a gentleman from South Africa at a conference in Miami Beach. He is an independent security consultant. I enjoyed my discussions with him, but really felt sorry for him. The airlines lost his luggage on the flight over and by the time the conference ended he had not received it and he flew home without it. Over 40 hours on a plane (round trip) - I've done that and wasn't right for a few weeks.
          Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
          Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Hello Curtis
            Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
            The airlines lost his luggage??
            It is actually very sad but if his bags were at Oliver Tambo airport I am not surprised.
            There has already been a good few syndicates caught for stealing at O.T. airport.
            The best he can do is to start tracing his baggage from where he handed it in, but if it is a syndicate operating there, they most probable know where all the cameras are.
            Alternatively I would start by questioning the security at the airport. If he puts enough pressure on the right security officer he will most probably crack another syndicate operating inside the airport.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X