Hello, from KCMO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, from KCMO

Hey everyone, just stumbled across the forum the other day. I was in the Army until 2010 and went straight from Germany back to a small town with crap jobs and little pay. Then that town (Joplin) was blown away by an EF-5 tornado so I decided it was time to move.

I moved in with family and now live in Kansas City. I work downtown for a security company at a multi-million dollar performing arts complex that opened for the first time late last year.

My ultimate goal is to work Corporate Security or possibly Executive Protection once I have more training / experience, but until then I am not sure what the next step is since there seems to be very little room for advancement in the current company.

I plan to use education benefits to cover some courses through ESI-Lifeforce, but if anyone has any advice on next steps in the right direction I'm certainly open to ideas.

I am also interested in ideas for getting a homeless man to stop pissing in our parking garage. The police come out to get rid of him all the time but he just comes right back the next night. At first he was sleeping in the stairwell, but now that he knows we come out there to run him off so he only goes in to piss in the air-locked stairwell. Generally I try not to get to close to him since A) he smells really bad and B) he's wearing some heavy clothing that could easily conceal a weapon (we do not carry), so I'm not really sure what to do.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to talking to you all.

Originally posted by Kaizen View Post
    Hey everyone, just stumbled across the forum the other day. I was in the Army until 2010 and went straight from Germany back to a small town with crap jobs and little pay. Then that town (Joplin) was blown away by an EF-5 tornado so I decided it was time to move.

I moved in with family and now live in Kansas City. I work downtown for a security company at a multi-million dollar performing arts complex that opened for the first time late last year.

My ultimate goal is to work Corporate Security or possibly Executive Protection once I have more training / experience, but until then I am not sure what the next step is since there seems to be very little room for advancement in the current company.

I plan to use education benefits to cover some courses through ESI-Lifeforce, but if anyone has any advice on next steps in the right direction I'm certainly open to ideas.

I am also interested in ideas for getting a homeless man to stop pissing in our parking garage. The police come out to get rid of him all the time but he just comes right back the next night. At first he was sleeping in the stairwell, but now that he knows we come out there to run him off so he only goes in to piss in the air-locked stairwell. Generally I try not to get to close to him since A) he smells really bad and B) he's wearing some heavy clothing that could easily conceal a weapon (we do not carry), so I'm not really sure what to do.

Welcome! We have the same problem with homeless people in the hotel. Quebec has no trespassing act so you can throw the same guy out night after night for months. As long as he does not actively resists being thrown out we can not arrest him.

We had 1 a few years ago that we threw out every night. 1 colld night the Officer got fed up & sprayed the bum head to toe with a water fire extinguisher. It worked. The bum did not come back. HOWEVER I do NOT suggest doing it. You could get yourself arrested for assault. (But it did work).
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaizen View Post

Can you lock the stairwell or at least restrict access to it late at night? I'd defintiely do more patrols
      at night near the stairwell and try to scare him off.

The thing with security is I find the more training and certifications I have
      the less they want to deal with me. I always thought that the more training I have
      the more pay I get. Maybe its just the warm body security companies....

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I previously suggested locking the stairwell but I guess the reason they won't lock it is in case there is a fire. To me this doesn't make sense because after a certain time of night no one uses the stairwell at all. It isn't near a main entrance and serves no purpose being open. I could understand it being a problem if people were using it as the exit that should be locked leads to a main garage entrance, but since there are no people there at this particular time of day I don't know why it is an issue. It seems like we should be able to lock up the entire stairwell after a certain hour so that no one can use it at all. In case of a fire there are numerous other exits within close proximity. Oh well I guess we will just have to continue doing what we do best

Comment

Hey Kaizen, this is Sarah from China

Hey Kaizen, is it your name? This is Sarah from China. I am in business of selling security products. So, I often go to securityinfowatch.com site to read some information and share with each other.
          I read your thread but not sure I understand it clear.
          From what I understood, you are young and you are exploring your way. It is very nice to do as you do. No one knows how to grow up and have to learn and do.
          So, I think you should keep thinking what is good for you and how to do better. Then you can do better and better.
          But do the best for your present work before you find a better way. And have yourself trained with some relevant courses. Then you will have more opportunity.
          Actually, no one can exactly tell you what to do and how to do. You have to explore your own way. But you can read some book of biography and get idea there.

Comment

Is there a handle/knob on the door that he enters to "piss"? If so, I have heard of this trick working. Spray a real powerful OC, like Fox 5.3 on to a rag (wear gloves) and wipe the handle/knob with it. When he comes in he will get it on his hand, then hopefully he uses the same hand to remove his unit and within a few seconds he will feel like he made a really poor decision.

There are a couple of issues with this. First, you would have to do it when you were sure your trap would not get a paying customer and you would have wipe it off really good after the guy left.

I was emptying some expired cans of OC one night and I must have gotten a little blowback on my hand unknowingly. Well, a half an hour later I went to use the can and after that I was literally doing the mexican hat dance in pain for 15 minutes. I mean it hurt!

Now I am just throwing out something I have heard of being done. Not something that I either condone or have done or would do myself.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X