Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally on Board

Greetings from San Francisco

Been a security guard for a few months now.
    They finally put me in a ****ty retail account O&R only in the middle of the 'hood'

Glad to be on board.

Welcome. I specialized working in 'the hood' as do a few of us, and any questions feel free to ask. Lots of knowledgeable people here, take advantage of that as well as the search function.
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Originally posted by zm88 View Post
      Welcome. I specialized working in 'the hood' as do a few of us, and any questions feel free to ask. Lots of knowledgeable people here, take advantage of that as well as the search function.
      Trying to find a better security job. I actually wanna do more then O&R.
      I already had some guy throw fresh poop at me a month ago...

I currently work unarmed but I carry my baton,kevlar vest,pepper spray & handcuffs.

I figure that they gave me a uniform that looks almost like SFPD, I already look
      like a big target in their mind. Wish I could carry my handgun
      Since there's been a bunch of strong-arm robberys and shootings. SHTF every weekend lol

Comment

Originally posted by macguard View Post
        Trying to find a better security job. I actually wanna do more then O&R.
        I already had some guy throw fresh poop at me a month ago...

I currently work unarmed but I carry my baton,kevlar vest,pepper spray & handcuffs.

I figure that they gave me a uniform that looks almost like SFPD, I already look
        like a big target in their mind. Wish I could carry my handgun
        Since there's been a bunch of strong-arm robberys and shootings. SHTF every weekend lol
        I personally hate San Fran, way to liberal and anything goes for me. I stayed there for a few months with my uncle, pier 39, the baseball stadium and alcatraz did make it fun tho. They stil got patrol specials? that may be the way to go if you want more.

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Originally posted by zm88 View Post
          I personally hate San Fran, way to liberal and anything goes for me. I stayed there for a few months with my uncle, pier 39, the baseball stadium and alcatraz did make it fun tho. They stil got patrol specials? that may be the way to go if you want more.
          Yeah they do but its hella hard to get into....Not many business are willing
          to pay some cop with citizens arrest $80 an hour to stand there when they could just pay some security guard $8 an hour

Trying to get into Andrews International or Personal Protective Services.
          Just gotta wait a year......I pretty much know most of the guards who work here in this 'hood'

I tried getting into Allied Barton $16.50 unarmed in a nicer part of town.

Comment

Originally posted by macguard View Post
            Yeah they do but its hella hard to get into....Not many business are willing
            to pay some cop with citizens arrest $80 an hour to stand there when they could just pay some security guard $8 an hour

Trying to get into Andrews International or Personal Protective Services.
            Just gotta wait a year......I pretty much know most of the guards who work here in this 'hood'

I tried getting into Allied Barton $16.50 unarmed in a nicer part of town.

I like Alliedbarton, i worked for them in 2008 and just returned to the company. Networking and getting to know guards in your AO is IMO a great resource and good idea.

Comment

I work for AlliedBarton here in St. louis, MO and they have always treated us officers well.

Comment

I probably gotta wait a year before getting into
                any of the big companies.....ABSS almost hired me but I got passed
                over due to my experience. I started security in Sept

Just got my firearms permit anyways probably gonna wait a year
                before I could even be an armed guard in this area.
                First year on the job as a SO is always the hardest

Comment

companies must be abit tougher out in SF, here in St.Louis I went through my security officers class at the police academy with what looked like a bunch of fourteen year olds! Most likely I am just getting old.

Comment

Originally posted by gorgor View Post
                    companies must be abit tougher out in SF, here in St.Louis I went through my security officers class at the police academy with what looked like a bunch of fourteen year olds! Most likely I am just getting old.
                    I don't know any place more lax and with little to no requirements/oversight in this industry then MA.

Comment

CA is fairly lax too, we didn't do any hands on training (just online training) and to get a guard card you just take an open book test which may take over and over until you pass. I even know a guard who doesn't speak english.

Comment

Originally posted by J. Eclevia View Post
                        CA is fairly lax too, we didn't do any hands on training (just online training) and to get a guard card you just take an open book test which may take over and over until you pass. I even know a guard who doesn't speak english.
                        I got my training online since it was cheaper.....
                        Only thing I went hands on in class was Taser,Baton,PepperSpray,Handcuffs,CPR,AED,First Aid & firearms 9 mm and 40 cal.

If you pay attention you will always pass on the first try. I wasn't even trying and I still passed.

Its just harder to get the higher paying jobs here in the Bay Area, if your new.
                        Most companies pay average $8.00 to $13.50 for unarmed and maybe $14 an hour armed.
                        The really high paying armed guard jobs require you to have at least 2-5 years worth of experience armed and they start
                        out at $18-$21 an hour.
                        The armored car companies only get paid $12.50 an hour armed. ( You must be crazy to get that kind of job.)
                        There isn't even any physical requirements to be a security guard, I seen too many slobs over here in SF.
                        Last edited by macguard; 12-15-2011, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Only people who get any type of training are those security officers that are commissioned as Special Police Officers (SPOs) in the city of Boston. It covers arrest procedure, constitutional law and a variety of topics. As for your regular 10/hr O&R guy, no such thing as a guard card. Companies say they do background checks, though a few don't, so the guy you're working with may just be a convicted felon or somebody with a warrant. In house security teams at clubs/bars are 50/50 when it comes to scumbags. There should be nationwide standard for this industry, it's only gonna get bigger.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X