X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello from Syracuse NY

hi everyone-
    This forum is a great idea.
    I'm a 48 yr old female & I've been working Security for 2 yrs now- prior to this I worked mainly in Healthcare. I got burnt out in that field, so I decided to give Security a try & I really like it. The problem I'm having isn't the work itself, but the companies I've worked for (2 so far). There seems to be a lack of support- managers & supervisors are so over-burdened that they don't really seem to have time to manage or supervise the sites. I would be perfectly happy to "wing it" using my own best judgement, but they don't want that either. Too much of the time I'm in a no-win situation--if I ask for help, they're too busy & resent it, but if I use my own judgement & training, they say I should have asked for help! What I'm wondering is- is this attitude pretty much to be expected in this industry, or do I just need to find the right company?
    Sorry this got so long & thanx for listening! Any feedback appreciated.

This is pretty common among the companies iv worked for as well. I cant speak for everyone else,nor can one really give a set answer because this is a company by company basis. I will say that lack of communication is very common in this line of work. That goes from the managment to the supervisors to the officers. And the training isnt usually the best either. My advice is if your serious about working for serious companies then Id try building up an appealing resume. Good training,and gaining lots of experince. You never know,you may decide that this line of work isnt for you and decide to go back to Nursing. There's usually a little more money in that.

Comment

What you really need is to find the right branch manager. I was fortunate to find a very good one who has been doing that job most of his adult life. My previous company was much as discribed by the other posters. I do not think it is the company so much .
      Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

First off welcome to the forum. Perhaps you should try looking for a proprietary security dept to work for. Its been my experience those are usually more guard friendly and you definitely build a good raport with management. Wish you the best of luck and again, welcome.
        Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Thanx for the feedback

Working for a smaller company did occur to me- I'm filling out applications & hanging in there for now.

Comment

Justaguard, what about hospital security? St. Josephs in Syracuse has day, evening and night shift available. They would like minimum two years experience.
            Intellectuals solve problems. Geniuses prevent them. - Albert Einstein

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X