New guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy

Hello all. New guy here. You've got a very informative forum!

I'm a current federal police officer and looking eventually transition into physical security (or another security field) in the federal government. I'm currently in my senior year of a criminal justice program (AMU) and looking into graduate programs in security management. Part of what I'm looking to do is look into a security management program outside of AMU because I don't want all of my eggs in one basket, so to speak.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Last edited by MP_Steve; 09-02-2011, 06:14 PM.

Welcome Steve. Obviously there is homeland security, but think also about disaster management and risk management. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Condo.

Though I do value any educational opportunity that presents itself, I'd personally like to shy away from the homeland security degrees as they do in fact seem to new, like they only came about after the creation of the Department of Homeland Security, and that's the only reason they're popular. It view akin to getting a degree in "CSI", per se.

I've been told previously that if you're going to do an online program, look at where the faculty obtained their degrees. My program director got his MA in Business and Organizational Security Management from Webster University, which is a private not-for-profit like I'm looking for, and it's available online to boot.

I think I may look into that. Thanks for the reply!
      Last edited by MP_Steve; 09-06-2011, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Welcome aboard Steve. I am in the first year of the Security Management program with APU myself. From some of the information I've obtained in posts on this forum and elswhere, It seems like courses in business would add alot to your degree. Also, have you thought about maybe getting a certificate in Homeland Security or Emergency Management? I have been looking into these with APU after finishing my degree. The one thing I am trying to figure out right now, is if instead of getting a certificate in EM, would I be able to get just as much out of the courses through FEMA.
        Intellectuals solve problems. Geniuses prevent them. - Albert Einstein

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X