Florida Soon to retire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Soon to retire

Hi, I am currently a Detective Sergeant with the Sheriff’s Office in Kissimmee, Florida. I have been employed here for 24 years, and as retirement is getting near – I am thinking about what possibilities are out there beyond law enforcement. I am 45 years old, so another career is not out of the question, and Loss prevention seems a logical choice. I have looked at a lot of web sites but always come back to yours as it seems you have the most knowledge of what is available.

I have spent a good majority of my time in criminal investigations, both as an investigator and investigative supervisor. I pride myself as an above average interviewer and have been certified in the Reid technique, Kinesic interviews techniques, and currently a certified CVSA examiner. I have a Bachelors Degree in Law Enforcement Administration, and a very good relationship and working knowledge of the judicial system.

I am really only looking for advice and direction at this point – and how marketable my skill set is in the private sector. I am looking at a one year to 6 year time line horizon and really need to start thinking about ways to prepare myself for transitioning to the private sector.

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by streck6955 View Post
    Hi, I am currently a Detective Sergeant with the Sheriff’s Office in Kissimmee, Florida. I have been employed here for 24 years, and as retirement is getting near – I am thinking about what possibilities are out there beyond law enforcement. I am 45 years old, so another career is not out of the question, and Loss prevention seems a logical choice. I have looked at a lot of web sites but always come back to yours as it seems you have the most knowledge of what is available.
    Well first and formost welcome streck. Iv never heard of a Detective Sergeant. I always thought it was one or the other. Ha

You should look into wackenhut,with your qualifications they would be a good company to work for. Also there's a private company out there that pays people with law enforcement background to go over to Middle East and train new officers.

Whatever you decide I wish you the best,and im sure you'll find what your looking for hear. Just keep in mind that Security and Law Enforcement are virtually nothing alike.

Comment

Originally posted by Riderboxer View Post
      Well first and formost welcome streck. Iv never heard of a Detective Sergeant. I always thought it was one or the other. Ha

You should look into wackenhut,with your qualifications they would be a good company to work for. Also there's a private company out there that pays people with law enforcement background to go over to Middle East and train new officers.

Whatever you decide I wish you the best,and im sure you'll find what your looking for hear. Just keep in mind that Security and Law Enforcement are virtually nothing alike.
      All Detectives in the Montreal Police have the rank of Sgt or Lt.
      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Originally posted by streck6955 View Post

I have spent a good majority of my time in criminal investigations, both as an investigator and investigative supervisor. I pride myself as an above average interviewer and have been certified in the Reid technique, Kinesic interviews techniques, and currently a certified CVSA examiner. I have a Bachelors Degree in Law Enforcement Administration, and a very good relationship and working knowledge of the judicial system.

I am really only looking for advice and direction at this point – and how marketable my skill set is in the private sector. I am looking at a one year to 6 year time line horizon and really need to start thinking about ways to prepare myself for transitioning to the private sector.

Any advice or direction would be greatly appreciated.
        You can go straight to your Class C Private Investigator's License as well as your Class G statewide firearms permit as you meet the requirements (6000 hours of actual investigation time) of a Class C licensee and your last firearms qualification means you don't need the Class G firearms license course. You can just fill out the forms and submit them with your check and documentation.

If you want to do private investigations, I suggest getting in contact with your local Florida Association of Licensed Investigators group. They're the lobbyist organization for Florida PIs.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

If he wants to be guard making 8 an hour, sure, he can go get his Class D and Class G and go work for Wackenhut. Or, he can go get a PI license and pull 20-80 a man hour doing PI work.
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I once held the rank of Detective Sargent, it's pretty common.
            Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
            Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X