Manager's Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manager's Choice

This is an informal survey that invites security program managers and supervisors to answer a very simple question based on the following hypothetical:

In the next fiscal year, you can choose ONE aspect of your organization's security posture for improvement or enhancement. This could be anything at all, such as hiring more officers, improving compensation, integrating disparate security systems, creating a web portal for officers, replacing a perimeter fence, installing bollards, a new electronic lock system, etc. Imagine that your CEO or client (the genie in the bottle) has basically said, "Fred, I'm going to grant you and your department ONE wish, whatever it is. So...what is it?"

I will not post this as a poll, which would force me to limit the range of responses. Instead, I want you to be free to offer any response you'd care to make. Let your imagination run amuck and think of what you would ask for if you had only ONE wish, and if you knew that your wish would be granted.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 04-03-2010, 01:13 PM.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Put us back to 24 hours a day coverage & get me off these damn 12 hour overnight shifts!
    I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
    Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

More advanced and comprehensive officer training. Our guys are trained at the minimum state level and have CPR/AED and First Aid. Add programs like Verbal Judo, OC, MEB, PATH, Patrol Mountain Biking, etc.
      A wise son hears his father's instruction,but a scoffer does not listen to rebuke. Proverbs 13:1

"My “Black-Ops” history ensures that you will never know about the missions I accepted in my younger days, and Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later. " G-45

Comment

I would choose additional officers, if by getting additional officers I would also have the funding to support them and the current staffing. That would include a well funded training library, higher quality uniforms, and more "duty gear" (radios, cell phones, flashlights, etc).

However if the above is more then what would be allowed. My second would be a complete overhaul of the CCTV system and remodel/expansion of the Security Office so it can be a true SCC with high quality cctv equipment that is interoperable with our access control systems and not just a hodge podge of stuff thrown into a room that was never ment to be used by Security with our duties. We have effectively outgrown our office.
        Last edited by FireRanger; 04-04-2010, 11:06 AM. Reason: for got to add
        Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. - 1 Corinthians 16:13

The cleanliness of our hearts, The strength of our limbs, and commitment to our promise.

My military contract is up and over. However, I never needed to affirm that I would defend the constitution, our freedoms, our way of life from enemies both domestic and foreign. Do not think that since I am no longer in the military, I will not pick up a weapon to defend my family, my home or my country. - Me!

Comment

Interesting answers, thanks. Keep 'em coming!

Comment

Mine's not really pertinant to the original question as it's too big and broad, but:

Here, I'm waiting with bated breath for corporate financing to break free (we took a BIG hit in Sept '08), so we can basically restructure/expand the whole Secur program. We have the restructure plan in hand, OK'd by corporate/facility mgt, and a personal commitment from both the COO and Company President...

so if there's One Thing I need here, it's a healthy economy. Everything else I could list is predicated on the commodoties market, banking industry, etc.
            "I'll defend with my life your right to disagree with me" - anonymous

Comment

Training! Plan and simple. More training reduces liability for everyone involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Security Chief View Post
                Training! Plan and simple. More training reduces liability for everyone involved.
                I am in definite agreement... +1! However, one key issue is getting the right kind of training that will meet and/or exceed what both you and your personnel need on a consistent basis.
                Last edited by Charlie410; 04-06-2010, 02:43 AM. Reason: Minor corrections

Comment

Personally, I would recommend equipment over training.

You could spend your budget on training and all those employees could leave within a year or two along with your investment.

Equipment won't walk away, get fired, or downsized.

I just think you will get the most "bang for your buck" in the form of equipment upgrades.

Comment

Thanks, everyone!

Comment

Plugged-in post! Thanks for keep me notify. Your accepted wisdom is great. For more information I will be in touch.
                      Bodyguard Security Services
                      Security Guards Melbourne
                      Security Crowd Control

Comment

CEO's and Upper Mgmt

I think it should be a requirement for a new contract that CEO's and upper management have to spend AT LEAST 40 hours on post.
                        My upper's have NO idea what goes on in the field and then want to sit behind their cushy desks and dictate on how I should manage my contracts. They need to know that not every contract is the same.

Comment

Here is the problem with that theory of yours, that is YOUR job to pass on that information. An example is that my Account Manager asked my team to do something different, when I mentioned it to my Branch they had a cow that I changed Post Orders without first contacting them. It was my responsibility to explain to them that the directive came from my Account Manager who is very intune with the client and their requirements. Once I explained to them this, and showed them that the change was good, everything was happy again. You have to remember that the chain of command goes both ways as far as communication. If you or your direct supervisor(s) are failing to inform you upper management of the client's requirements and needs that is on you, not the upper management. Security Supervisors at the shift, site and account level are not just supervisors, but also coordinators and need to be skilled enough in corporate talk and protocol to effectively get the message across of what they need. I work for a large international company that has been gigged time and time again on this site for employing standard policies like most of our industry. Yet my site and the account I work at don't follow that mold we follow the mold of what the client has come to expect from us and in turn we enjoy a relatively secure contract with a client who is very pleased with us.
                          Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. - 1 Corinthians 16:13

The cleanliness of our hearts, The strength of our limbs, and commitment to our promise.

My military contract is up and over. However, I never needed to affirm that I would defend the constitution, our freedoms, our way of life from enemies both domestic and foreign. Do not think that since I am no longer in the military, I will not pick up a weapon to defend my family, my home or my country. - Me!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X