Emergency Planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Planning

This resource is a very succinct overview of what has to be done for business continuity and emergency preparedness. There can be lots of work involved in achieving each step or process, of course, but it's a good overall roadmap, or checklist. Certainly, any company that provides security services should be exemplary when it comes to having such contingency plans in place!

http://www.ready.gov/business/plan/index.html

NOTE: Most sections are multiple pages - don't overlook the small "Next" link toward the bottom to see all of the pages in that section.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 10-01-2009, 08:19 PM.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Emergency Planning

That's better then any of my S,O,P, for all companies I worked for over the past 13 years. Our sop been bend over and kiss your @$$ good bye.
    CAPTAIN KOOLAID 9594

oh ya

Comment

Risk assessments

Hi Sec Trainer

I am currently engaged in a Risk Management Course and looking and am looking for a suitable template or example of an assessment for a medium sized medical centre. Can you advise where my best options may be to look ie internet - library etc.

Rgds Johnson

Comment

Great link SecTrainer. I would encourage anyone involved in security to spend some time going thru the information and seeing what is and can be applicable to you and your particular situation.
        Many recieve advice,few profit by it. Publilus Syrus, 42 B.C.

"Brave men are courageous from the first strike" Pierre Corneleille, Le Cid

Comment

Originally posted by 1945sigk31 View Post
          Great link SecTrainer. I would encourage anyone involved in security to spend some time going thru the information and seeing what is and can be applicable to you and your particular situation.
          Yes, I agree great link. I've visited before, keep it coming!
          Navy Chief, Navy Pride

Comment

Originally posted by Johnson View Post
            Hi Sec Trainer

I am currently engaged in a Risk Management Course and looking and am looking for a suitable template or example of an assessment for a medium sized medical centre. Can you advise where my best options may be to look ie internet - library etc.

Rgds Johnson
            Hi - I responded to you in a different thread. If you'll PM me with your email address, I'll shoot you a copy of an appropriate security risk survey. I can't copy it into a forum post, even with attribution, but it's shareable.
            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Ahhhh... (big sigh of relief); I'm finally at home on my own PC, where a page will actualy load in less than a... day.

Thanks for posting those links (this, and the threat assesment); got 'em bookmarked!
              "I'll defend with my life your right to disagree with me" - anonymous

Comment

http://www.lrc.fema.gov/index.html Here is another government website, the FEMA Learning Resource Center contains links to articles about real world incidents and other preparedness information for nearly every man-made and natural disaster.
                Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. - 1 Corinthians 16:13

The cleanliness of our hearts, The strength of our limbs, and commitment to our promise.

My military contract is up and over. However, I never needed to affirm that I would defend the constitution, our freedoms, our way of life from enemies both domestic and foreign. Do not think that since I am no longer in the military, I will not pick up a weapon to defend my family, my home or my country. - Me!

Comment

If you want to take classes in your spare time at your own pace, try this site from FEMA http://training.fema.gov/IS/. Yah, I know, my screen name is a contradiction to what I’m saying here. Take my word for it. This is THE training to be “compliant” in the Fed’s eyes. This is the same training Fire Departments and Police Departments must have to get federal funding. If you run a Google search for “Emergency Management Classes” you will get a lot of sites that make you pay to get redirected to these pages.

As far as hospital security in particular, I would recommend IH100HC (Introduction to the Incident Command System for Hospitals). http://training.fema.gov/IS/NIMS.asp

Professionally, I would recommend taking all of the NIMS courses http://training.fema.gov/IS/NIMS.asp , the Professional Development Series http://training.fema.gov/IS/searchIS.asp?keywords=PDS and select courses from ISP catalog that may interest you or apply to your situation http://training.fema.gov/IS/crslist.asp .

There are some things to note.

First, there are two classes that you MUST take in person to become truly NIMS compliant. I think the courses are IS-300 & 400 which are NOT listed as options on the website (been a while, I was NIMS compliant back in 2006). You can contact your local Emergency Management Agency or Fire Department to learn how to take these courses in person.

Second, these courses ARE exchangeable for college credits. FEMA redirects to a community college http://www.emergencymanagementstudy....nt/default.asp who is in cooperation with FEMA to provide an Associates of Applied Science. Transferability is probably restricted, so read the fine print. Each select course is a credit hour and it’s $75.00 per credit hour.

Third, you can retake the classes immediately if you flunk. TIP from someone who has taken EVEY course available…print out the test and answer sheet first, look at the questions. As you review the information presented on-line, the answers will be given to you in the context of the course. The test questions usually follow the curriculum presented in the printed and on-line course (you do not need to print the courses as all the info is covered online), as presented. Most of the time, Chapter 1 questions will be at the beginning of the test and so on. Fill out the answer sheet as you review the course. At the end of the course, take the test. On stuff you are not really sure about, mark the questions on paper. If you flunk the first test, you will know what to review so you can get the most out of your time. NEVER throw out your answer sheet. FEMA had computer problems once and for whatever reason did not receive my test answers. I was presented with a 505 error. Luckily I had my test answers and went back the next day and re-input the answers and passed the test.

Fourth, when you pass a course, FEMA will email you a link to a pdf file which is your certificate. They’re too cheap to send you can actual certificate in the mail and they used to send a little 81/2 x 4 computer fold up thing. You know…the kind where you tear off the three sides and open at the fold. Anyway, if you save the email link it should be there for a few months. What I did was click the link, save the pdf locally on my computer, put the file on a thumb drive and bring it to Kinko’s to be printed in high resolution with that nice certificate paper they have. Looks nice on the wall and on the resume’.

If for nothing else, you will have an inside understanding on the Incident Command System and what’s going on the next time a major incident occurs at your facility or location. It will also give you insight into different governmental departments, who’s in charge of what, and why the government does what it does, when it does it. Best case is that you have the tools and understanding sufficient to set up emergency incident response for your clients, thereby become a more important cog in your company wheel, which hopefully equates to job security.

Comment

Nomore,

Great post! You hit it on the head. I've been doing free FEMA classes since the mid '80s. Military requires some of them and my LE job loved that I got more training for my team for free. I also use the specialty ones for my current position.

Everyone should take as many of these as they can. They are timely, useful, and not a waste. You would be amazed at what you use from them on a daily basis, not to mention how cool you sound when you whip out the NIMS speak!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X