Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP with startup private security business

Your expertise and assistance is needed:

I've been lurking this forum for quite some time and I admire the wealth of knowledge of the members. I’m considering opening a Private Security Business in Virginia, that specializes in bike patrol targeting high-end residential communities (ie. high rises, gated communities).

I would like to know if anyone could be my mentor or if you're a Consultant specializing in Private Security Start-Ups that could steer me in the right path to get my business started and minimize my liabilities.

Besides the required licenses, insurances, I’m not exactly sure what are the rest of documents, forms, policies that I need to implement (ie. Security Policies, Practices & Procedures; General Orders, Post Orders, Background Checks, Sample Proposals and Contract Forms,etc.) in my business before opening it.

If you're a consultant, what are your fees for a Private Security business start-up consultation?

I look forward to your response.

Truly Yours,

Rob
    [email protected] (directly)
    Last edited by ROBGIO; 09-16-2009, 02:24 AM. Reason: typos

Originally posted by ROBGIO View Post
    Your expertise and assistance is needed:

I've been lurking this forum for quite some time and I admire the wealth of knowledge of the members. I’m considering opening a Private Security Business in Virginia, that specializes in bike patrol targeting high-end residential communities (ie. high rises, gated communities).

I would like to know if anyone could be my mentor or if you're a Consultant specializing in Private Security Start-Ups that could steer me in the right path to get my business started and minimize my liabilities.

Besides the required licenses, insurances, I’m not exactly sure what are the rest of documents, forms, policies that I need to implement (ie. Security Policies, Practices & Procedures; General Orders, Post Orders, Background Checks, Sample Proposals and Contract Forms,etc.) in my business before opening it.

If you're a consultant, what are your fees for a Private Security business start-up consultation?

I look forward to your response.

Truly Yours,

Rob
    [email protected] (directly)
    Rob, I would recommend that you do (or obtain) a market study before you dive into the business of getting licensed, insured, etc. It's very good that you have a narrow niche in mind because that makes the market study easier (and cheaper) than just saying "I want to start a security company".

The second facet of defining your niche (prior to the market study) should be identifying the geographic area you wish to serve. This probably should be an area where there is a significant concentration of your target clients so that you can focus your initial sales and service delivery efforts in a relatively small area for the sake of highest possible efficiency. When you grow, you can better afford to waste resources serving areas that are less "dense" in terms of your market.

Talk to the local Chamber of Commerce as a starting point and see what assistance they or their members can provide in helping you get a good bead on your market. Once you have reason to think that there's a definitive need for the service you're proposing, you can start in with the other steps. Otherwise, you'll spend a lot of time and money for nothing.

Oh - and if you engage a consultant, be sure they're very conversant with Virginia regs, laws, and security business. Each state is very different.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

To add to SecTrainer's comments,
      Look around for a base city, where I live (in Colorado) the City supports new business and offers low cost classes on how to run a small business. In addition they have a mentoring program similar to the Small Business Administration that reviews your Business Plan, Marketing plan etc to give you advice from experienced business executives on how to make your plan and start-up more bullet proof so to speak. You may want to check out the SBA if you have not already has a source of information and assistance. While none of this help may be "security" specific, it can help you out in navigating local ordinances and regulations.
      Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong. - 1 Corinthians 16:13

The cleanliness of our hearts, The strength of our limbs, and commitment to our promise.

My military contract is up and over. However, I never needed to affirm that I would defend the constitution, our freedoms, our way of life from enemies both domestic and foreign. Do not think that since I am no longer in the military, I will not pick up a weapon to defend my family, my home or my country. - Me!

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
      Working...
      X