Hospital and Clinic Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hospital and Clinic Security

I would like to invite others in the field of policing and security for hospitals and clinics to begin a discussion of relvant topics to that field. What are the current issues in hospital and clinical policing and security? How do address those issues? etc.

Great Idea! I was actually thinking about asking if we could have a section for Hospital/Healthcare Security Officers.

Comment

Just throw a topic up about anything professionally related you want.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Ive never done hospital or clinic security, but Im sure that many of us have dealt with the same threats, and that is bio-hazards.

My biggest concern is dealing with someone who is diseased, esp. with HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis, and so on. Therefore, I prepare myself as if everyone was sick, just in case I ever have to get physical with them.

Im sure that the health threat is a large concern for those in the hospital/clinic field.

Comment

My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

It has been my experience that a lot of hospital officers are EMT or EMT-P certified. I know a few that transferred from security to EMS or ED.
            I believe I speak for everyone here sir, when I say, to Hell with our orders.
            -Lieutenant Commander Data
            sigpic

Comment

My views, opinions and statements are my own. They are not of my company, affiliates or coworkers.

-Being bagger at Publix has more respect these days

-It's just a job kid deal with it

-The industry needs to do one of two things; stop fiddling with the thin line and go forward or go back to that way it was. A flashlight in one hand and your set of keys in the other

Comment

Originally posted by Echos13
                But I am amazed (though not surprised) that the pay is not much more than most guard jobs in Florida.
                This Hospital is actually TWC's lowest paying Contract for CPOs. While a new contract has been approved for more money, it's sitting in the hospital's CFO's office and he is on Vacation!

As for value added services...there are a few. I provide a TSO (traditional security officer...entry level) Valet (yes I said valet) between the hours of 7-5. I guess it's not really value added because it is written into the contract and it is actually a value to me because my vurrent one is a former corrections officer and she is available to assist the day shift.

When it comes with dealing with Bloodborne Pathogens. I tell my officers they are NEVER to enter a room or area where it may become possible to lay hands on a patient without gloves on. Florida has the Baker Act which means a DR can admit a patient for psych reasons especially if they may pose a threat to themselves and others. When this happens in the ER we post an officer to watch them until admited to a room (nursing unit then provides a Sitter) or sent to Bay Behaviorial (psych facility) The good thing about the Baker Act is it gives us the authority to keep them on the property by appropriate means (gives us permision for hands on).

I've worked this hospital on and off for a few months before I was selected to transfer here as the Supervisor. I must say it is amazing what you will see in here (especially spring break )

Comment

As the hospital here as its own security/police I can't really speak on thier duties. The university has a private clinic for students/employees- all departments in one bldg. from quick care to convalescent stay. Officers posted there on 2nd shift do the traditional meet and greet at the main entrance, control the waiting room area and building checks. Third shift the main entrance closes so the s/o will let people in, get a basic symptom report then phone the nurses upstairs. They come down and p/u the patient. The only different thing is they're reminded they are not emts/pa's or doctors- a couple trid to diagnose callers over the phone. Anything serious call the PD and security dispatch centers. So nothing really special there. Several Child Developmental Disorders clinics call for a little more training in tact and handling disturbed children and thier parents. Still its hands off and call the PD if anything serious arises. I've noticed also pay for these jobs seems to average what you'd get for gate duty at a warehouse. Not much incentive for the many serious issues you can run into in an e/r enviornment.
                  Old age and treachery will defeat youth and enthusiasm every time-

Comment

My local hospital has two security guards, unarmed, unequipped, and untrained. One is posted at the front door of admitting for valet duties. The other is a rover, and usually stays with the first one.

There are others that roam around, but the facility is too large to adequately determine numbers. Judging by their lack of portable radios, weapons, flashlights, and other gear, they are there to observe and observe.
                    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

The worse job I ever had was working for Pinkerton at the local mental hospital. (Probably not the political correct thing to call it-sorry). It was great in that I lived exactly a 5 minute walk away from it. The problem was they gave us no training at all. We worked with a beeper, not a walkie-talkie & we worked alone.
                      I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                      Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

The nearest hospital in my area is staffed with WBS. Only one guard is on duty for this large hospital, and they are assigned to the ER when not making rounds. The guard has minimal training, has no means of self-defense, and no back-up except for a police response.

The poor guard must deal with EDP's, ETH's, and other unruly patients. In addition, the guard must perform patient watches, assist the ER staff in restraining patients, and take deceased patients down to the morgue and place them in the coolers.

The security company violates its own policy of requiring 2 officers on duty at all times in the ER, deliberately is vague in the post orders about the guards role in restraining patients so that they can say: "We never told you to do that." When I worked for that company, they tried to get me to work there. I refused to until they specified what the guard is permitted to do when physical action is necessary.

They dropped the matter because there is no way they want to put it in writing because of the potential liability. One guard for the entire hospital with multiple entrances. What a joke.
                        Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Hospital Guard Stabbed

Not wishing to trivialise the situation, but I guess if you are going to get stabbed there would be no better place than this hospital.

This Hospital was at the forefront in the treatment of victims from the riots in Northern Ireland during the past 30 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/n...nd/4856828.stm

Comment

Originally posted by IrishGuard
                            Not wishing to trivialise the situation, but I guess if you are going to get stabbed there would be no better place than this hospital.

This Hospital was at the forefront in the treatment of victims from the riots in Northern Ireland during the past 30 years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/n...nd/4856828.stm

Hahaha, getting stabbed would be the least of my concerns...nothing like getting HIV and having a life sentance..for <10$ an hour

Comment

500 hotel rooms x 4 guests per room + 1000 people in the banquet salons & 1 unarmed Security Officer. That's the way it is at my downtown hotel sometimes.
                              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X