Banana Tree Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banana Tree Test

There is a very, very tall coconut tree and there are four animals.
    King Kong, an Ape, an Orangutan and a Monkey pass by.
    They decide to compete to see who is the fastest to get a banana off the tree.
    Who do you guess will win?
    Your answer will reflect your perceptiveness or hasty thought processes.
    Think carefully . . . Try and answer within 30 seconds

Got your answer?

Now scroll down to see the analysis.

If your answer is:

Orangutan = you're wrong.

Ape = you're wrong again.

Monkey = you're still wrong.

King Kong = you're hopelessly wrong!

Why????

A Coconut tree doesn't have bananas!

Now carefully reread the question again.

How many times have we seen ourselves in a leadership role make the same mistake?
    I've made this mistake more times than I'd like to admit. I don't carefully read what is presented and take a rash action.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Just posted it out to my team and will give you a summary of the 30 odd replies I will expect today as some are busy in stores.
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Maybe an age thing but as I get older I often start reading after the first or second line. I try to stay conscious of that and force myself to read from the beginning and stay focused.

Do others find that?
      Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
      Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
        Maybe an age thing but as I get older I often start reading after the first or second line. I try to stay conscious of that and force myself to read from the beginning and stay focused.

Do others find that?
        Eric you are not alone. I'd like to see all security manuals and orders have a well constructed first sentence to state what the article is about and the first paragraph encapsulate the thoughts to come. Then the reader will understand what will be fleshed out in the remainder of the piece.
        I become somewhat disgruntled when the first sentence has nothing to do with the remainder of the paragraph. Worse yet, the opening paragraph has nothing to do with the remainder to the piece.
        Enjoy the day,
        Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock View Post
          I become somewhat disgruntled when the first sentence has nothing to do with the remainder of the paragraph. Worse yet, the opening paragraph has nothing to do with the remainder to the piece.
          Enjoy the day,
          Bill

I see that in many newspapers, and seem to just skim many stories instead.
          Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
          Groucho Marx

Comment

I have yet to turn 40 so it not the age issue, but I think it comes down to TMI Syndrome - TOO Much Information as we have so much input and struggle to digest it all. Agree with both of you that the leading sentence determines whether I continue reading a news paper article and whilst my father can read every square millimetre of a newspaper, I just read what is interesting and not know about every last detail.

Feed back on my 34 emails - 29 responded back and all but 4 of us overlooked the main information - Coconut Tree. There is another 1 about riding a horse and falling off as well as sitting on a fence and falling off which for the life of me I cannot recall.

Comment

Bill, your remarks certainly are often true regarding me, and I do re-read things often, just to make sure the way I read something the first time matches up with the way I read the same thing a second time.

Comment

Originally posted by bpdblue View Post
                Bill, your remarks certainly are often true regarding me, and I do re-read things often, just to make sure the way I read something the first time matches up with the way I read the same thing a second time.
                bpdblue, we are not alone. Many times we all see in the headlines what we want to see and run with it.
                In many instances, government writing takes the advantage of this quirk, in that many of the papers they write or answers they provide are written in such a way that five people with different takes on what they read are all correct.
                When security manuals are written I have suggested they be signed by the senior most person in the company and they be staffed with all departments or divisions within that company to include the legal department. You'll notice most legal departments would rather be branded with a hot iron than become involved, it puts them on the spot. If there is little wiggle room, they might have to back up their legal opinions with sound logic. Manuals not staffed properly there is the theory, well he, she, or they misunderstood. They then can breathe a sigh of relief. Security orders should be staffed in the same manner, clearly written and easy to understand by the intended reader.
                That is why I posted the Banana Tree Test. If you mention bananas when discussing a tropical palm or coconut tree, many readers will automaticlly seize upon the banana.
                Enjoy the day,
                Bill

Comment

Reminds me of spending hours trying to explain to my wife2B about `Supply and Demand in Economics` for her college classes last year. I admit I blitzed economics but this was almost 20 years ago but getting it into her head that apart from imports, we have little choices of alternates (unless you include puree) as bananas at this time were selling for $6-7 US lb due to a cyclone.

When I asked her the banana tree question yesterday she got angry at me bringing up that same subject of economics as she drove her co-workers crazy asking them for help and none of these people with degrees had a clue.

Comment

My former supervisor/mentor and I were discussing the Banana Tree Test and told me he had an email in mind. He wrote that based on his 30-years as a MP Officer and Battalion Commander he has seen written orders and signage that would drive home the point to the readers. When you read them he suggested, what was the point of the sign in the first place. They were written with the best of intentions to inform the reader but sadly missed the point. We see the humor in them and may miss the intent. So goes the best intended general or post order, what the writer intended and the outcome and what the reader sees and more importantly, thinks. For us in security and law enforcement, manuals and instructions must be properly staffed to avoid such gaffs.

TOILET OUT OF ORDER. PLEASE USE FLOOR BELOW

In a Laundromat:
                    AUTOMATIC WASHING MACHINES: PLEASE REMOVE ALL YOUR CLOTHES WHEN THE LIGHT GOES OUT

In a London department store:
                    BARGAIN BASEMENT UPSTAIRS

In an office:
                    WOULD THE PERSON WHO TOOK THE STEP LADDER YESTERDAY PLEASE BRING IT BACK OR FURTHER STEPS WILL BE TAKEN

In an office:
                    AFTER TEA BREAK STAFF SHOULD EMPTY THE TEAPOT AND STAND UPSIDE DOWN ON THE DRAINING BOARD

Outside a second-hand shop:
                    WE EXCHANGE ANYTHING - BICYCLES, WASHING MACHINES, ETC. WHY NOT BRING YOUR WIFE ALONG AND GET A WONDERFUL BARGAIN?

Notice in health food shop window:
                    CLOSED DUE TO ILLNESS

Spotted in a safari park: (I sure hope so)
                    ELEPHANTS PLEASE STAY IN YOUR CAR

Seen during a conference:
                    FOR ANYONE WHO HAS CHILDREN AND DOESN'T KNOW IT, THERE IS A DAY CARE ON THE 1ST FLOOR

Notice in a farmer's field:
                    THE FARMER ALLOWS WALKERS TO CROSS THE FIELD FOR FREE, BUT THE BULL CHARGES.

Message on a leaflet:
                    IF YOU CANNOT READ, THIS LEAFLET WILL TELL YOU HOW TO GET LESSONS

On a repair shop door:
                    WE CAN REPAIR ANYTHING. (PLEASE KNOCK HARD ON THE DOOR - THE BELL DOESN'T WORK)

Enjoy the day and thanks Chuck,
                    Bill
                    Last edited by Bill Warnock; 02-15-2008, 08:32 PM. Reason: Missing words

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X