No announcement yet.

Help in starting my security team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The idea of working under the table just scares the heck out me nowadays (now that I"m older and maybe a bit wiser). If I'm injured will I be covered? If I"m sued will I be covered? Will I keep my license if someone comes around asking questions? I'd wonder about someone unwilling to get liability coverage. Probably means no workers comp coverage either.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Taylor View Post
      If the minimum wage is below the federal minimum of $5.15ph (current) or if the state doesn't have one then the federal minimum is what must be paid. My guess is that the states with lower minimums were in effect prior to the federal going to $5.15 in 1997.
      Yep, you're right. I hadn't noticed this above the map on the link.
      Where Federal and state law have different minimum wage rates, the higher standard applies.
      sigpic
      Rocket Science
      Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
      One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by gcmc security part 2 View Post
        As for reporting requirements, I don't know of any BUT you safest bet is anytime your people use ANY type of force is to contact local LE to inform them and to document, document, document. And if you don't do anything else DOCUMENT!!!
        Outstanding advise. If you allow your officers to carry OC, cuffs and batons, certify your officers in them. This way if force is used, it will be used properly. Good luck.

Be safe,

Hank
        " We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on one hand and of overwhelming force on the other" - General George C. Marshall

Comment

update

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
          This whole thing sounds very unbusiness-like to me, and there's a lot we don't know about this whole situation. We don't know anything about the venue except that it's a fairgrounds, we don't know how much you will rake in from renting the grounds (presumably) and/or admission tickets, concessions, etc., or what other expenses you have. We don't know what your contractual arrangements with the county or various other parties might be. We don't know, in other words, whether you really "can't afford" to do this right or you're just trying to get by on the cheap.

We don't know anything about the security demands either - i.e., what mix of people you can expect to attend, or how many. We don't know if security will be provided for the parking area. We don't know the past history of security incidents at similar events on your premises. We also don't know what availability there is with respect to the various emergency services, including the (on-duty) police/sheriff, fire, and EMTs. Heck, we don't even know how far it is to the nearest fire hydrant, much less hospital.

These questions must be answered before we can, first of all, tell you how skilled your security staff needs to be (for instance, CPR/First Aid), whether you require armed security, and certainly we can't tell you how many you'll need.

The matter of insurance is a whole 'nother ballgame, as they say, and it's hard for me to see how you're going to solve that one - appropriately.

The best advice we can give you is to do what anyone else in the same situation would do - hire a professional security company. I've got a feeling you can afford that, and it's the best way to make sure you still own the fairgrounds when the event is over. Otherwise, you're quite liable to find yourself signing it over to someone when your cheap solution lands you in the cheap seats.
          I own the fairgrounds.We get admission into the park, 25% of what ever the ride company (group that brings the rides in) makes & I also drink machines through out the park. Concession is the ride companys.

The security staff I intended on hiring is CPR/First Aid Certified & is the security team for the Alabama State Fairgrounds.

We havent had to many problems in the past, just a few fights, norm. like 1 car broke into the entire time we run for 9 days. We have had the problems of Underage drinking & ocasional drugs on property but that does not happen every time we have a fair. (atleast to our knowledge, im sure they bring it in though..)

As far as crowd, we average 10-16,000 people in 9 days total. Most will be on weekends and the free ride night with paid admission day. There is prob. 60% teens, 15% children 12 & younger & 25% adults over 21 that attend it during the week.

You asked about the hospital. Well the
          Hospital is approx 8 miles away
          Police dept is 3 miles away
          your about 4 blocks from the I-20 interstate (Surrounded by a major amount of fast food, hotels, gas station, home depot, target, best buy, walmart, lowes, petsmart & etc. all at just that exit
          its approx 2.5 miles from the schools.

You also asked about traffic / parking lot. The parking lot is a "walmart" style parking lot with lots of light. It will be patroled by 2 security officers while the inside is patroled by 4 others & if assistance is needed by the other, then they go asst. At the very first of the fair opening & the end when the fair closes for the day, the police dept has asked that we post someone at the entrance of the park for traffic control.

I would have no problem hiring a security company but theres not really around here that specify in what I need. I need a company that has Vehicles. So they can help do traffic control. They will need professional radios & duty gear also.

Any companys come to mind?

Comment

If you're in Oxford, here's a link to a listing of security services serving the Anniston-Oxford area. Being on the west coast, I can't comment about any of them and you'd need to simply contact them.

It also sounds to me like one of the hangups in selecting a security service is whether they can provide a vehicle and radios.

For this sort of temporary, localized venue, I don't know why you/they wouldn't just use GPRS 2-way radios you can buy in pairs for $50 or so from Radio Shack, Walmart, etc. These have a rudimentary form of "security code" you can utilize as well by setting the same code into each radio. These are not highly secure by any means, but I think they could be used.

Here's a link to a page showing availability and pricing for the Motorola Talkabout (T8500R) radio, which boasts an 18-mile range (under ideal conditions - but you should expect at least 5 or 6 miles) and can be purchased at a lot of retail elecronic outlets. These radios can operate on both the Family Radio Service (FRS) and General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) frequencies, with 22 channels and 121 privacy codes. You would want to use GPRS, not FRS. Note also that the prices you see on this page are for a PAIR of radios, not just one.

If you don't want to buy radios, most parts of the country have companies that will rent radios, including Nextel "walkie-talkie" phones, GPRS and business-band radios. Here's a yellow page listing for a radio rental company that says they serve the Anniston area. Give them a toot and see what they have to offer.

I'd check equipment rental companies and even perhaps golf courses (!!) to see if a couple of golf carts might be available for rent. It doesn't sound to me like you need anything more elaborate than that. If you provide the vehicles, electric or otherwise, and whether used by the security company's staff or not, be sure to get an add-on rider for your business liability insurance for personal injury and property damage for those vehicles. You should be able to be purchase such a rider just for the period of the event for a very reasonable premium.
            Last edited by SecTrainer; 10-09-2007, 02:30 PM.
            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
              If you're in Oxford, here's a link to a listing of security services serving the Anniston-Oxford area. Being on the west coast, I can't comment about any of them and you'd need to simply contact them.

It also sounds to me like one of the hangups in selecting a security service is whether they can provide a vehicle and radios.

For this sort of temporary, localized venue, I don't know why you/they wouldn't just use GPRS 2-way radios you can buy in pairs for $50 or so from Radio Shack, Walmart, etc. These have a rudimentary form of "security code" you can utilize as well by setting the same code into each radio. These are not highly secure by any means, but I think they could be used.

Here's a link to a page showing availability and pricing for the Motorola Talkabout (T8500R) radio, which boasts an 18-mile range (under ideal conditions - but you should expect at least 5 or 6 miles) and can be purchased at a lot of retail elecronic outlets. These radios can operate on both the Family Radio Service (FRS) and General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) frequencies, with 22 channels and 121 privacy codes. You would want to use GPRS, not FRS. Note also that the prices you see on this page are for a PAIR of radios, not just one.

If you don't want to buy radios, most parts of the country have companies that will rent radios, including Nextel "walkie-talkie" phones, GPRS and business-band radios. Here's a yellow page listing for a radio rental company that says they serve the Anniston area. Give them a toot and see what they have to offer.

I'd check equipment rental companies and even perhaps golf courses (!!) to see if a couple of golf carts might be available for rent. It doesn't sound to me like you need anything more elaborate than that. If you provide the vehicles, electric or otherwise, and whether used by the security company's staff or not, be sure to get an add-on rider for your business liability insurance for personal injury and property damage for those vehicles. You should be able to be purchase such a rider just for the period of the event for a very reasonable premium.
              Thanks for the help..

The reason i wont use the reg. little 50$ 2 way radios is because everyone within 10 or how ever many miles can listen or even talk.. i want something a little more private i guess. I dont mind them listening but i cant have them talking on the radios where my security / staff is trying to communicate on.

I would need approx 2-3 maked units for traffic & patrol & i can get a few golf carts for others to use inside the park and even outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Oxfordfair View Post
                Thanks for the help..

The reason i wont use the reg. little 50$ 2 way radios is because everyone within 10 or how ever many miles can listen or even talk.. i want something a little more private i guess. I dont mind them listening but i cant have them talking on the radios where my security / staff is trying to communicate on.

I would need approx 2-3 maked units for traffic & patrol & i can get a few golf carts for others to use inside the park and even outside.
                Okay - well, you do what you think best. Good luck!
                "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X