Negotiating For Contracts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Negotiating For Contracts

I will be negotiating for a large contract this Wednesday. I will be competing against four other guard companies for the contract. The prospective client wants to interview each company representative for 40 minutes. They will ask questions like how long have you been in business. I haven't been in business that long. What should I say? What can I do to impress the client? What can I do to compete against companies that have been established for quite some time?

Quality of years rather than quantity of years.
    www.oramsecurity.com

Comment

Be honest. You can say something like "the reason I (we?) started our company was because we saw these problems in the way many security companies operate." (list common issues) I (We) wanted to do this about it. Tell how you are different. Do not mention competitors by name. Emphisize the quality of your work, not how long you've been at it. You can also go into how long the senior staff has been doing security work, even if it is for others. How else would you have seen the problems that you fixed.
      "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Taylor View Post
        Be honest. You can say something like "the reason I (we?) started our company was because we saw these problems in the way many security companies operate." (list common issues) I (We) wanted to do this about it. Tell how you are different. Do not mention competitors by name. Emphisize the quality of your work, not how long you've been at it. You can also go into how long the senior staff has been doing security work, even if it is for others. How else would you have seen the problems that you fixed.
        This is great advice. I want to reiterate what Andy advised regarding the names of your competitors. Don't "talk down" your competitors, rather talk yourself up! You can draw favorable comparisons of your service veruses the competition in general.

Since you have not been in business very long, then I will assume the company is still small. If that's the case, point out how important a client they will be to you and how much attention and focus they will receive as opposed what they might expect from a branch manager of a national firm.

If you need some help with the pricing or a proposal, PM me. Good Luck!
        Richard Dickinson
        Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
        DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
        www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

From what we have all read, is there any doubt in your mind concerning the importance of this site to the security profession and all of us.
          For those gentlemen, true professionals all, who have responded to the inquiry, you have brought credit upon the profession and yourselves.
          Well done, home and tea!
          Bill

Comment

Like said above, dont talk down your competitors, talk about what you can do, talk about how your company is diffiernet, also point out important things like my company is the only company to offer such and such special services in the city if that be true(I.E. k-9 drug detection dogs, special education classes) if you have a good raport with the police department mention that too. bring up how your officers look professional and how your uniforms are outstanding compared to others in the industry where your at....... and such.
            Its not how we die that counts.....
            Its not how we lived that counts....
            all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

Originally posted by UtahProtectionForce View Post
              Like said above, dont talk down your competitors, talk about what you can do, talk about how your company is diffiernet, also point out important things like my company is the only company to offer such and such special services in the city if that be true(I.E. k-9 drug detection dogs, special education classes) if you have a good raport with the police department mention that too. bring up how your officers look professional and how your uniforms are outstanding compared to others in the industry where your at....... and such.
              I must now append my previous comment to include "young lady." She has also has offered sage advice.
              Enjoy the day,
              Bill

Comment

Originally posted by UtahProtectionForce View Post
                ...also point out important things like my company is the only company to offer such and such special services in the city if that be true(I.E. k-9 drug detection dogs, special education classes)
                Great point, Utah! Whenever you can add value over the competition, you gain an edge. In addition to Utah's suggestions, consider including a guard tour system, GPS tracking system (i.e. GuradTrax) or an online incident reporting system. Depending on the weekly hours, you can often recover the cost of these items over the first year of the contract by adding only $0.10 or $0.20 to the hourly bill rate.
                Richard Dickinson
                DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
                www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

Wow, after reading the question I was going to reply, but you have already gotten all the advice I would have given you and more. Andy really hit the nail on the head. Focus on what you do right and the experience your team has in the field and you should do just fine.

Dave
                  David Tombleson
                  Executive Security Manager
                  Wy'east Tactical, LLC
                  www.wyeasttactical.com

Comment

I would like to thank all of you for responding to my questions. All of your comments were very helpful. I made my presentation. Now, I am waiting for them to call me with the good news!

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSecurity View Post
                      I would like to thank all of you for responding to my questions. All of your comments were very helpful. I made my presentation. Now, I am waiting for them to call me with the good news!
                      GordonSecurity we all wish you the best of luck and luck favors the prepared.
                      Enjoy the day,
                      Bill

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSecurity View Post
                        Good Luck! Let us all know how it works out!
                        Richard Dickinson
                        www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

Good Luck.
                          "Gun control, the theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists. " Author Unknown

Comment

Dont forget to tell us if you were able to aquire that contract or not.
                            Its not how we die that counts.....
                            Its not how we lived that counts....
                            all that matters is how we saved that one life that one time by being in the right place at the right time....

Comment

Never bash the competition. Don't be afraid to mention there name in a factual comparison, but don't bash them. Nothing turns me off more than when a potential vendor talks down a competitor. I won't do business with them after that.
                              sigpic
                              Rocket Science
                              Making everything else look simple, since 1958.

http://my.opera.com/integrator/blog/
                              One Man's Opinion

The Future. It isn't what it used to be.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X