Uninterruptible Power Source (UPS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uninterruptible Power Source (UPS)

A peaceable Sunday afternoon was interrupted by a phone call from a client with a serious concern. They had a power outage and four of five UPS did not function.
    The question, ?What happened??
    After taking the client the obvious questions of proper conductor connections the next question from me was, ?One of the UPS is working??
    ?Yes, it is only three months old,? was the response.
    ?How old are the other UPS?? was my next question.
    ?About three years old,? was the answer.
    I asked, ?Who has the responsibility of exercising the batteries in the UPS as the owner?s manual states??
    I was not surprised by the answer, ?What do you mean by exercising the batteries. We don?t have anyone that does that.?
    ?Like the battery in your car, if it just sits there and is never used, it loses its charge and you have to recharge it. If it is an older battery, invest in a new one.?
    Most owner manuals recommend you trip the circuit breaker servicing the UPS once a month and run those things, computers mostly, until the UPS beeping noise becomes rapid, and then restore normal building/house power.
    ?I recommend you buy new batteries sized to the specific units and then after an initial charge with no attached loads connect the equipment to the UPS and then exercise them. Just as important, make a written record of each UPS and when it was last tested and by whom.?
    It is a necessary fact of life that we follow the owner?s manual for all equipment we own, business or home.
    We read in the paper or see and hear on TV or radio of firms that complain the battery back-up failed when there was a power outage.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Great point

It is also good to test your ups so you can see how much time you can get out of the battery.

If you have batteries that are no longer good, please dispose of them properly.

Comment

Originally posted by watchinfosecurity
      Great point

It is also good to test your ups so you can see how much time you can get out of the battery.

If you have batteries that are no longer good, please dispose of them properly.
      How many UPS owners do you think have read the operating instructions? Worse yet, how many owners have really taken the time to size the UPS for the loads they intend to protect?
      If you can count more than 10 fingers worth you have just struck the mother load!
      Enjoy the day,
      Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
        How many UPS owners do you think have read the operating instructions? Worse yet, how many owners have really taken the time to size the UPS for the loads they intend to protect?
        If you can count more than 10 fingers worth you have just struck the mother load!
        Enjoy the day,
        Bill
        What, you mean that 300 VAhr isn't enough to power my four monitors and two servers for the 10 minutes it takes for Windows Server 2003 to shut down?

When I use UPS systems, I do not attach the monitor to the UPS. The power goes out, the monitor turns off. The server, on the other hand, has even more time to shut itself off, because there's no huge monitor sucking all the power out of the battery.

If I need to talk to the server, I'll pull out a laptop on battery power and get in through the network, which is also on UPS.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
          What, you mean that 300 VAhr isn't enough to power my four monitors and two servers for the 10 minutes it takes for Windows Server 2003 to shut down?

When I use UPS systems, I do not attach the monitor to the UPS. The power goes out, the monitor turns off. The server, on the other hand, has even more time to shut itself off, because there's no huge monitor sucking all the power out of the battery.

If I need to talk to the server, I'll pull out a laptop on battery power and get in through the network, which is also on UPS.
          Nathan:
          Well spoken sir!
          Enjoy the day,
          Bill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X