Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pa H.I.P.P.A

Hello everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with the pennsylvania HIPPA laws.
    I have been employed with this assisted living organization and knowing at some point an injury will come up and a incident report will be needed.
    My question is that, if a incident report is stated detail of a resident(s)injury at the facility, is the Officer bound by HIPPA knowing he is not the health care provider but is employed by the orginization?

Originally posted by hemi444
    Hello everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with the pennsylvania HIPPA laws.
    I have been employed with this assisted living organization and knowing at some point an injury will come up and a incident report will be needed.
    My question is that, if a incident report is stated detail of a resident(s)injury at the facility, is the Officer bound by HIPPA knowing he is not the health care provider but is employed by the orginization?
    Fortunately, the health care provider should be required to provide you with HIPPA training, as part of most state's HIPPA acts. If they do not, inquire.

I would believe that since you are an agent of the health care provider, and you have routine access to any patient information, you would be liable under HIPPA, as well as any confidentiality agreements you signed.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by EMTFirefighter
        HIPAA

Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act

HIPAA
        I just noticed that. I have, for some reason, a wish to call it HIPPA, as in Hippo.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

HIPPA is the same standard throughout the United States. An easy way to avoid confusion concerning a patient is to remember that anything to do with diagnosis or prognosis is strictly confidential. Any report that is needed for the welfare of the patient due to an injury or accident should not contain information concerning diagnosis or prognosis of any disease or condition that existed prior to the injury or accident. If a patient commits a criminal act while in your care, there is a need to know basis for Law Enforcement such as information concerning the date of birth, address, drivers license numbers etc, that is legal to convey. You just can not reveal the diagnosis or prognosis of any illness or condition of the patient. Those conditions can only be revealed through a court order for you to be totally legal without recourse.
          Hope this helps

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X