Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Jessee
    replied
    I think that realistically, the feature offers about the same security risk as an old streetmap combined with a location map like those provided by facilities like, say, Disneyworld.

But as seen recently in the media, it wouldn't take much of a spin to incite public outrage towards google. Fear sells.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Rooney View Post
    I'll look for my spock ears. The good thing about hiring vulcans is they live so long that retirement benefits should be cheap. As well as health insurance.

Good article.
    That, and there's no office politics till they hit about 57-58, unlike human interns who "get that way" around 12-15...

Leave a comment:

• Rooney
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
    The article referenced in this thread is available at:
    http://securitysolutions.com/video/s...ays/index.html

It seems my firm provides Logical Security Services. To this end, I will have to put out an ad for several Vulcans or something.
    I'll look for my spock ears. The good thing about hiring vulcans is they live so long that retirement benefits should be cheap. As well as health insurance.

Good article.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    The article referenced in this thread is available at:
    http://securitysolutions.com/video/s...ays/index.html

It seems my firm provides Logical Security Services. To this end, I will have to put out an ad for several Vulcans or something.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Heh. Scan it in.

Leave a comment:

• Curtis Baillie
    replied
    Originally posted by JB diligence View Post
    Can you post a link to that article on here when it's out (if it's an on line publication), sounds like an interesting read.
    Sorry, the print copy came today. I do not see a link to the story on their website.

Leave a comment:

• junkyarddog
    replied
    Google Earth- even street view- could be viewed as a security tool. A tool in the sense of spreading disinformation about your facility/site to anyone that may be using google earth to case it. Think dummy access points etc.

Leave a comment:

• Curtis Baillie
    replied
    Unless your Dad lives in one of the 5 citys Google has up and running in street view - you were looking at Google Maps. Look at the Street View option

Leave a comment:

• UtahProtectionForce
    replied
    lets just say the photo from my dads house is like from 1999 o.O, way out dated.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    While I focused on the terrorism aspect, one my big "things" about Google Street View is that in most cases, the information's already out there. All Google did was make it easier to find.

Leave a comment:

• JB diligence
    replied
    Originally posted by Security Consultant View Post
    Exactly one of the points I gave for the article.
    Can you post a link to that article on here when it's out (if it's an on line publication), sounds like an interesting read.

Leave a comment:

• Curtis Baillie
    replied
    Originally posted by JB diligence View Post
    Terrorist as well as our old friend the theif who's casing the joint WILL find this benificial as they can now see where the other access points are, and ask themselves "how can I infiltrate this place without going through a gate".

JB
    Exactly one of the points I gave for the article.

Leave a comment:

• JB diligence
    replied
    Originally posted by Dragonfyre024 View Post
    I also agree that this a catch 22 situation. It could be really helpful to a consumer but is it really? If one really needs to get to a building, directions should be enough.

But on the flip side of a coin, if I were a terrorist, they just made my job a hell of a lot easier in terms of staking out the place. I definitely think that showing where the security cameras are is a big hazard. So this definitely has my concern raised.
    Terrorist as well as our old friend the theif who's casing the joint WILL find this benificial as they can now see where the other access points are, and ask themselves "how can I infiltrate this place without going through a gate".

JB

Leave a comment:

• Dragonfyre024
    replied
    I also agree that this a catch 22 situation. It could be really helpful to a consumer but is it really? If one really needs to get to a building, directions should be enough.

But on the flip side of a coin, if I were a terrorist, they just made my job a hell of a lot easier in terms of staking out the place. I definitely think that showing where the security cameras are is a big hazard. So this definitely has my concern raised.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Security Consultant View Post
    In their July issue Access Controls and Security will be carrying an article on Google Street View.
    Curtis, I will be very interested in seeing that article, it should be interesting.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X