Background Checks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Checks

Is anyone aware of any professional associations or groups who conduct criminal background investigations as part of their member acceptance program? I appreciate the feedback.

If you do not wish to give feedback on the forum, please contact me by email or PM. Thanks.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Any organization like the IACP or the FOP that requires and verifies an applicant's current employment status in LE or security (usually done for full membership, not "associate member" or otherwise) might be considered to be doing a "background by proxy", I suppose.

Other organizations whose members are in occupations where employment requires background checks might also fall into this category in an indirect way - for instance, I believe background checks are now required in all states for teachers, homecare workers, etc.

Others like the ACFE (fraud examiners) and the IACA require members to provide information about criminal history, if any, and I believe they do check into those applicants on a selective basis when they indicate there has been some problem in the past.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 05-14-2007, 12:04 PM.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Security Consultant, my former boss was an Army colonel with a "Q" clearance from DOE. When taking a job with Florida Blue Cross and Blue Shield's security department and became a CFE, AFCE combed through his background with a fine toothed comb.

Comment

I think there are some other ways that backgrounding is approached indirectly, i.e. by reference to state requirements for licensing or employment. For instance, in order to be a member of NALI, the National Association of Legal Investigators, you must be a currently-licensed PI in states that require PIs to be licensed, so at least those members would have been backgrounded to some extent (criminal history).

Also, there's an association for investigators who work in the insurance industry (SIUs), and there's usually a pretty tight background done by these companies on their own people - again, background by proxy.

One of the problems with the question you ask is that "background investigation" covers such a wide range of possible inquiries, ranging from a simple criminal history all the way up to a full-blown verification of the individual's history. Obviously, the more extensive, the more expensive, and I'd have to say that most professional associations would have to double or triple their membership fees (the initial fee, at least) to afford to conduct much more than a simple criminal records check and maybe do an SS trace on their applicants.
        "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

I'm refering to professional memberships- such as ASIS, although I know they do not perform background checks.

To me background checks would include, criminal checks for the last seven years by County, and claimed educational degrees. Of course, this type of check would not be as extensive as an employment background check.

Bill - You state that CFE (Certified Fraud Examiners) complete an criminal check? If so, I'll contact them. Thanks
          Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
          Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Security Consultant
            I'm refering to professional memberships- such as ASIS, although I know they do not perform background checks.

To me background checks would include, criminal checks for the last seven years by County, and claimed educational degrees. Of course, this type of check would not be as extensive as an employment background check.

Bill - You state that CFE (Certified Fraud Examiners) complete an criminal check? If so, I'll contact them. Thanks
            Curtis, the boss said what they did would make a "full field" or SBI look tame in comparison. What lead BCBS to take him on was his former boss a retired three star was asked to head the Florida association when fraud was rampant. He knew his former MP Colonel had come to an Army post in the Midwest when rumors circulated there was massive fraud and theft. Six months after his arrival, he pulled the string and the FBI, CID and others had a field day. A bunch of "trusted government employees and city leaders" went to either military or federal prisons. All this man needed was one loose thread. I am only green with envy when around him and others like him.
            Enjoy the day,
            Bill

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X