Very Interesting Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very Interesting Survey

Elsewhere on this forum (in the General Discussions area) is a survey entitled "Law Enforcement Via Security" and I find the results so far to be both informative and fascinating.

The survey isn't "scientifically designed", of course (which costs $thousands to do!), and the sample is admittedly quite small. Even with these limitations in mind, I still think it's significant that 40% of the respondents have entered the field of security as a stepping-stone to law enforcement careers. If this sample is at all representative of the larger population of security officers, we can learn something here.

I started to write a long post about just what we can learn, but long posts to this forum are received with such hostility that I'll leave it to you to think over the implications. Yes, we always knew some of our folks want to become cops, but 40% - even if it might be a little high (or low?) due to some accidental peculiarity of the responding sample - is really rather astonishing, and suggest both important implications as well as intriguing possibilities.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 05-11-2007, 12:51 PM.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

As with any survey / poll the varibles can be very misleading. Of that 40%, how many are in lower paying roles? What are those roles and expectations?
    Are the people being honest? Do they just have too much time on their hands compared with higher performers that would not visit and complete the poll?

I think a 16 month study term with unlimited resources in a nice climate can help provide answers....
    Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
    Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
      As with any survey / poll the varibles can be very misleading. Of that 40%, how many are in lower paying roles? What are those roles and expectations?
      Are the people being honest? Do they just have too much time on their hands compared with higher performers that would not visit and complete the poll?

I think a 16 month study term with unlimited resources in a nice climate can help provide answers....
      ...which is why I pointed out the limitations of this survey and said it can cost $thousands to do one "scientifically".

However, it's rather interesting that some studies of "informal surveys" like this one have shown that it's a mistake to dismiss their findings merely because they are informal. A surprisingly higher percentage of informal surveys are more accurate than those who sell expensive formal survey services care to admit.

So, my advice is: Sure, take the survey with a grain of salt, but don't just leave it on your plate untasted merely because it wasn't prepared by a professional chef. You wouldn't want to miss my Mom's "unprofessional" beef Stroganoff for anything a chef would serve up.

Comment

I am very surprised that the percentage is so low. When asked a child what he/she wants to be when they grow up I can honestly say that I have never heard one state that it wanted to be a security guard. It was always a policeman or fireman. I understand that these days there are other attractive occupations that may have replaced the two formentioned.
        THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
        THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
        http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

A survey in Michigan of 127 police officers and 109 security professionals done by Mahesh Nalla, Ph.D. and Donald Hummer, M.S found that 43 percent of the police officers worked in the security industry prior to joining a law enforcement agency. Here is a link to the survey. It is interesting.

http://www.cj.msu.edu/~outreach/security/relations.html

Comment

Originally posted by T202
            A survey in Michigan of 127 police officers and 109 security professionals done by Mahesh Nalla, Ph.D. and Donald Hummer, M.S found that 43 percent of the police officers worked in the security industry prior to joining a law enforcement agency. Here is a link to the survey. It is interesting.

http://www.cj.msu.edu/~outreach/security/relations.html
            Thanks very much - and you're right, it is interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky
              I am very surprised that the percentage is so low. When asked a child what he/she wants to be when they grow up I can honestly say that I have never heard one state that it wanted to be a security guard. It was always a policeman or fireman. I understand that these days there are other attractive occupations that may have replaced the two formentioned.
              My job, as well as my job title, (does not describe who I am). This is only what I do to make a living and it's just that. I work so that I may do and enjoy the things (that do describe me) when I am not working.

Did I want to be in security when I was growing up? NO. I wanted to be an architect actually. Do I enjoy my job in Healthcare security now? YES. It pays extremely well and allows me to live a life that does describe me.

Don't let what you do for a living describe or title who you are in life!!
              K9...."Protect all who enter"

Comment

Originally posted by echo06
                My job, as well as my job title, (does not describe who I am). This is only what I do to make a living and it's just that. I work so that I may do and enjoy the things (that do describe me) when I am not working.

Did I want to be in security when I was growing up? NO. I wanted to be an architect actually. Do I enjoy my job in Healthcare security now? YES. It pays extremely well and allows me to live a life that does describe me.

Don't let what you do for a living describe or title who you are in life!!
                Not sure what you are telling me but my reply was to the topic and why I feel the percentage of SOs that were taking the security route to police work is what it was.
                THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky
                  Not sure what you are telling me but my reply was to the topic and why I feel the percentage of SOs that were taking the security route to police work is what it was.
                  Chucky,
                  I wasn't telling (you) anything directly. Sorry you took it that way. I may have misconstrued your reply to the thread.
                  K9...."Protect all who enter"

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
                    On a Canadian two dollar bill, the flag flying over the Parliament building is an American flag.
                    We have used a coin since 1996 to replace the 2 dollar bill. There was a misconception that the flag was US but was really the union jack. With a billion dollars a day in trade between Canada and the US though, maybe it is.
                    Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
                    Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
                      Elsewhere on this forum (in the General Discussions area) is a survey entitled "Law Enforcement Via Security" and I find the results so far to be both informative and fascinating.

The survey isn't "scientifically designed", of course (which costs $thousands to do!), and the sample is admittedly quite small. Even with these limitations in mind, I still think it's significant that 40% of the respondents have entered the field of security as a stepping-stone to law enforcement careers. If this sample is at all representative of the larger population of security officers, we can learn something here.

I started to write a long post about just what we can learn, but long posts to this forum are received with such hostility that I'll leave it to you to think over the implications. Yes, we always knew some of our folks want to become cops, but 40% - even if it might be a little high (or low?) due to some accidental peculiarity of the responding sample - is really rather astonishing, and suggest both important implications as well as intriguing possibilities.
                      S.T.

Geez, can I never live down my comments about long posts? I hope you realize they were made with "Tongue-in-Cheek"! For what it's worth, all of your posts, long or short, are worth reading.

With regard to the survey, I suppose it is possible the results may be high due to the caliber of people in this forum. It wasn't that long ago, as you know, that a security company couldn't really have direct deposit (assuming they could afford the lack of float) because most of the employees didn't even have checking accounts.

I find the officers in this forum to be very serious about their profession and highly motivated to excel. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for many of the officers with whom I have come in contact over the years. Can it be that the post 9/11 world is attracting a new type of individual to the industry? If so, what could better for all involved.

By the way, after reading T202's post regarding the survey in Michigan, maybe my analysis is faulty.

If so, why would such a high percentage start out in private security? Is there a general shortage of LE positions out there? That question is not meant to be rhetorical, I just don't know.
                      Richard Dickinson
                      Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
                      DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
                      www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

Originally posted by hrdickinson View Post
                        S.T.

Geez, can I never live down my comments about long posts? I hope you realize they were made with "Tongue-in-Cheek"! For what it's worth, all of your posts, long or short, are worth reading.
                        Wasn't your comments I was referring to, my friend.

So, if I read you right, you're thinking perhaps there's a built-in sampling bias simply based on the fact that the people who would join a forum such as this one might be more serious career-wise than others, which would skew the results of the poll. That is certainly possible, and perhaps even likely.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X