Security Consultant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tlangsr
    I read up on the security industry whenever I get the chance. I definently know that I will need alot more experience in order to be sucessful. Can u imagine starting up right now? I would need a security consultant to teach me how to run a security consultant business.
    I am afraid you're right! A successful consulting venture results from many years in an industry making mistakes and learning from them until you acquire the wisdom to advise others. I have been in the industry for almost 30 years but never in an operational role except at a very senior level.
    Even after all that time, for example, I would never try to advise someone as to how to conduct a site survery, except in very general terms.

I applaud your entrepreuneral spirit, but there may better areas at which to direct it
    Richard Dickinson
    Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
    DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
    www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

thank you all. I have some psych classes and Alot of math related classes including accounting. Math isn't my favorite subject but I gotta do it to be successful. I haven't decided what side to veer off to yet, consulting or PSC. I know that it will come in time, I still have some learning to do, I know that I will be trying to get a managerial position in the near future to prepare me for my business.
      Todd

Comment

Originally posted by tlangsr
        That actually doesn't seem to be to bad. I don't plan on doing any of that for some time yet. I definently want a lot more experience and my credit is shot. I will be eventually be going to school for a degree in Security Management. I haven't really decided on whether or not I would like to be a consultant or PSC Owner.
        Todd,

Like others here, I applaud your ambition and your looking toward your future.

There is no one way to become a security consultant. In my opinion those that are most successful have started in the industry in some focused capacity (security guard services, technician, store detective, etc) and become proficient at that skill. The thing to understand about consulting is that you are being paid for your knowledge and the techniques and processes you bring to bear on a project- things that only can be gained and refined through experience.

Regarding your credit being "shot", start repairing your it now. Buy what you can afford and pay your bills on time. It will take years to straighten it out but it may be crucial to your success in this business for 2 reasons:
        1. Many companies and organizations will review your credit prior to hiring you.
        2. Your credit will be reviewed when applying for a DOD or other government clearance.

Of course if you plan to start your own business, you will need good credit. Only larger corporations and businesses have built up enough credit so that the owners do not have to sign personally.

Good luck in your endeavors!!

John
        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G. Orwell

Comment

John - You're correct. The only product I sell is my knowledge and time.
          Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
          Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Just to set the record straight

I think everyone should obtain a college education, but here are the requirements for CPP and CFE:

CPP - Eligibility Requirements
            Applicants must meet one of the following requirements to be accepted as a CPP™ candidate:
            Education: An earned bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited institution of higher education and work Experience: Seven (7) years of security experience, including at least three (3) years in responsible charge of a security function
            OR
            Work Experience: Nine (9) years of security experience, including at least three (3) years in responsible charge of a security function.
            Eligibility requirements also include no prior conviction of any criminal offense that would reflect negatively on the security profession or on ASIS International and its certification programs

CFE - Academic Requirements
            Generally, applicants for CFE certification have a minimum of a Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) from an institution of higher learning. No specific field of study is required. If you do not have a Bachelor's degree, you may substitute two years of fraud-related professional experience for each year of academic study. For example, if you successfully attended college full-time for only two years, you would need an additional four years of professional experience to qualify for the education requirements.
            Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
            Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X