Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security officers are a necessary fail safe in fire detection

http://www.securityinfowatch.com/vid...n-holyoke-mass

The property managers should have either fixed the problem, or had a contract security co. come in and do fire watch until the problem was fixed.

For security managers and property managers, this is a real life lesson that technology is not perfect, and a live human is an asset. Every security officer on a site should know basic fire procedures, and should be checking fire and life systems regularly as well as the maintenance staff.

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
    http://www.securityinfowatch.com/vid...n-holyoke-mass

The property managers should have either fixed the problem, or had a contract security co. come in and do fire watch until the problem was fixed.

For security managers and property managers, this is a real life lesson that technology is not perfect, and a live human is an asset. Every security officer on a site should know basic fire procedures, and should be checking fire and life systems regularly as well as the maintenance staff.
    I prefer the shotgun approach of cheap smoke detectors in lots of places.

Sad to say but most private security is about the weakest of links. At one of my posts (were Fire Watch is pretty much the main reason we are there) we had one guy quit by not showing up, and another leave 3 hours early without telling anyone...hoping to get paid for free.

I knew an absentee LandLord who told his tenants "Your rent is going up from $700 to $750 next month, but I'm allowing you to deduct $50 per month to buy and install a $10 smoke detector, and keep fresh batteries in it." That got him in all sorts of trouble.

I've got at least two cheap old skool 9v stand alone detectors "loose" perched up on tops of bookcases and shelves in bedroom and garage. Home Depot doesn't (can't?) sell the old skool cheapo units anymore. They still go off if I broil meat.

When I was renting various places out in the central valley of CA, I noticed two big diffs. 3 out 4 places had no real internet, and 3 out of 4 places didn't have smoke detectors. These were being rented by White Americans no less, who weren't just renting that one unit/room but were small time Landlords with several properties. WTF kind of knuckle dragging idiot operates as a LL within city limits and doesn't have smoke detectors. Not "dead batts" but not even SDs installed.

Comment

We all know that a security officer’s job is difficult and risky because it requires the officer to protect the individuals and property where their works. But, sometimes the officer has to be alert regardless of the hour, which is often difficult, especially at night in the dark and in cold conditions. Although technology such as surveillance cameras, smoke detector and alarms that can care their work.
      I agree with Squid that during any fire emergency installation of cheap smoke detectors will serve a piece of mind.
      That is why last month I had installed a cheap smoke detector at my residence by taking help from
      Electricians Bala Cynwyd PA team during the installation. After the installation I had found it very much responsive to smoke presence and gives an early warning to us.

Comment

during my 25 years of service not once a fire death happened in a home where a WORKING smoke detector was present.

our department even gave them out for free, i went a step further and would even install them in my district for the elderly.

a good tip is to change the batteries and test your detectors when ever the time changes.

also while i got my badge on.....

i responded to car wrecks day in and day out, i can recall only three or four deaths of peeps wearing their seat belt and working air bags.

buckle up boys!

Comment

I've never worked anywhere where firewatch wasnt part of my duties

Comment

From what the clip suggests, the fire system did not "fail". Rather, it reported the communication error and the property managers chose to ignore it. My smoke detector will tell me when the battery is running low via an occasional beep. If I ignore it because I'm too cheap to buy a new battery, and as a result it doesn't go off when there's a fire it's not a failure of the alarm system.

I trust a good security guard more than I trust a good machine, but I trust a good machine more than most security guards. On of the advantage of a good machine (instead of a human guard) is that the machine will tell you when it's not working properly. The guard won't tell you if instead of doing fire patrols he took a nap.

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X