Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • motorcitymadness
    • Jan 2007

Dealing with Mall Specific Problems

I work at a mall in Southeast Michigan that's less than 5 miles from Detroit, Michigan. Just wanted some advice on how you would handle the below 2 situations.

1. The best way to enforce loitering policies with teens who only come to the mall to socialize, congregate, & horseplay. This is always made a more difficult problem because "mom" or "dad" usually want to complain once their children have been asked to leave mall property.

2. We have a shelter that drops their "clients" off at our mall early in the morning and doesn't pick them up from our mall until the late evening, often leaving us with people who loiter, are intoxicated, and unruly.

3. Dealing with loud removals usually teens who want to bring attention to themselves, use profanity, and sometimes even expose body parts during the removal process, is it better to be silent if they are slowly but surely leaving off property or to verbally attempt to quiet or calm them down.
  • N. A. Corbier
    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by motorcitymadness
    I work at a mall in Southeast Michigan that's less than 5 miles from Detroit, Michigan. Just wanted some advice on how you would handle the below 2 situations.

1. The best way to enforce loitering policies with teens who only come to the mall to socialize, congregate, & horseplay. This is always made a more difficult problem because "mom" or "dad" usually want to complain once their children have been asked to leave mall property.

2. We have a shelter that drops their "clients" off at our mall early in the morning and doesn't pick them up from our mall until the late evening, often leaving us with people who loiter, are intoxicated, and unruly.

3. Dealing with loud removals usually teens who want to bring attention to themselves, use profanity, and sometimes even expose body parts during the removal process, is it better to be silent if they are slowly but surely leaving off property or to verbally attempt to quiet or calm them down.
    On the first one, if the teens keep coming back, it becomes a law enforcement problem as they're trespassing, and may need arrested for trespass after warning.

The second one is definitely a law enforcement problem. The "clients" are trespassing. Have trespass warnings issued, whoever can do that legally, and have them arrested if they return.

The third, if they're drawing attention to themselves, they're a law enforcement problem and need a trespass warning written, or if officers are present, arrested for public disorderly. Exposing body parts, I take it you mean lewd and lascivious behavior, also a LE problem.

Remove them, and if they return, have them arrested.

Verbally calming them just detracts from the issue at hand: Making them leave. Besides, they won't be calmed by those authority figures making them leave. It gives them more room to make fools of themselves, and "stick it to the man."
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• james2go30
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
      On the first one, if the teens keep coming back, it becomes a law enforcement problem as they're trespassing, and may need arrested for trespass after warning.

The second one is definitely a law enforcement problem. The "clients" are trespassing. Have trespass warnings issued, whoever can do that legally, and have them arrested if they return.

The third, if they're drawing attention to themselves, they're a law enforcement problem and need a trespass warning written, or if officers are present, arrested for public disorderly. Exposing body parts, I take it you mean lewd and lascivious behavior, also a LE problem.

Remove them, and if they return, have them arrested.

Verbally calming them just detracts from the issue at hand: Making them leave. Besides, they won't be calmed by those authority figures making them leave. It gives them more room to make fools of themselves, and "stick it to the man."
      Have to agree with you on this. Although I work for an owner associated property we always have to remove tresspassers and unruly people...if after their first warning they don't seem to get the jist ofit it is time to call Law enforcement and have them tresspassed off property...fourtunately here LEO's are quick to respond...well during the off season anyway...beach rather slow in the off season.

Comment

• motorcitymadness
        • Jan 2007

Yeah I have gone down to the court house to press criminal trespass charges on 2 different individuals, one settled before trial and the other was a no-show for our scheduled court appearance and he has a bench warrant out for his arrest now...

As for dealing with the people from the shelter it's a sticky situation the shelter vans drop them off on our property early on in the day and instead of them going out to find jobs or find other things to do they hang out at our mall all day and it's unfortunate but a lot of them have substance abuse problems and they usually use our property to get high or drunk.

But yeah I agree with u on not sayin' to much to the kids during removals because usually it only incites them and gives them more ammo to continue the verbal sparring...

As for our police response on a weekend afternoon it isn't too fast and sometimes were flat-out told that were gonna wait a while before a car is sent....

Comment

• james2go30
          • Jan 2007

yea

If those people are abusing drugs and becoming intoxicated on your site then not only the shelter that drops them off there needs to be notified but so does Law Enforcement, could be public intoxication and loitering. Nathan may know a little more on this and he will post on it I am sure as well as few others. Unless they are allowed to be dropped off there by whoever owns the property you work at it would be tresspassing but not how those laws work in other states. But I am sure if they are getting high and drunk in public and causing a disturbance then it surely is a police matter.

Comment

• motorcitymadness
            • Jan 2007

Yeah things are kinda up in the air right now but I may become the head security person at the mall and I'll prolly look into giving them 1 hour to do something at the mall and after that they can leave for the rest of the day and not come back until the shelter vans come back and pick them up....Besides the kids they are are biggest problem...

Comment

• Mr. Security
              • Sep 2005

Mall Director

PM this guy. He manages security at a mall and has dealt with those issues.
              Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

• motorcitymadness
                • Jan 2007

Thanks yeah I'm plannin' on doin' that I've been readin' a lot of his posts and since I might become the director of mall security where I'm at I'm gonna need some ideas and a little advice on how certain mall specific problems have been dealt with by someone who has to deal and has dealt with the same problems....

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...