Community Security Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community Security Systems

I live in a beachside suburb called Cronulla in Sydney, Australia where on the weekend there was local rioting triggered by the bashing of 2 local teenage lifesavers (gang of 10 youths from outside the area). It is big news in Australia, and what has ultimately caused the rioting by local people here in Cronulla is concern over their safety, while out and about in Cronulla.

As a local person keen to preserve the community and way of life, I am trying to find a security solution for our community. I imagine we are not the first suburb to suffer and try to deal with this problem, and envisaged some sort of IP surveillance system with emergency intercoms located at various key points within our community. (but I am completely ignorant when it comes to these type of systems)

Could anyone suggest a company that has experience in creating solutions that address this problem? Or help me understand leading and key technologies that are available that address our issue?

Any assistance is greatly and truly appreciated.

Originally posted by benwilson79
    I live in a beachside suburb called Cronulla in Sydney, Australia where on the weekend there was local rioting triggered by the bashing of 2 local teenage lifesavers (gang of 10 youths from outside the area). It is big news in Australia, and what has ultimately caused the rioting by local people here in Cronulla is concern over their safety, while out and about in Cronulla.

As a local person keen to preserve the community and way of life, I am trying to find a security solution for our community. I imagine we are not the first suburb to suffer and try to deal with this problem, and envisaged some sort of IP surveillance system with emergency intercoms located at various key points within our community. (but I am completely ignorant when it comes to these type of systems)

Could anyone suggest a company that has experience in creating solutions that address this problem? Or help me understand leading and key technologies that are available that address our issue?

Any assistance is greatly and truly appreciated.
    Look into what college/universities, hospitals, and other high risk/widespread campus areas are doing. Unfournatly, I know more about the live body security system than I do about traditional security systems, and then I know about somewhat related IT and Technical Security.

Hmm... Anyone have any suggestions? I'd have to say that a fiber-based LAN connecting IP cameras, emergency call boxes, a central monitoring station, and any mobile users (maintenance, security, management, etc) via secure Wireless Access Points (Use WAPs as hubs, in other words) would be a good idea - but I'm sure there are cheaper methods using non-IP technology.

I say fiber-based because its a new install, but your installer may have more convincing reasons to stay with CAT5e/CAT6 copper.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Here is a very simple solution that would be really easy to set as a beta.

1) Install a wireless mesh system with access points (if fiber is available,even better) on top of street light poles to provide power. www.firetide.com is a wireless mesh manufacturer and has good info on wireless mesh setup.

2) Attach IP cameras with POE directly to wireless mesh node in port #1. Good IP camera such as www.iqeye.com is a 1.3 Mpixel digital camera with good low light and digital zoom capabilities.

3) Attach an IP intercom/VOIP with POE device to port #2. www.digitalacoustics.com has some intercom products and there are a bunch of VOIP manufacturers out there.

This type of application allows you to install a city wide high speed LAN backbone and then you can hang all kinds of other IP solutions to it.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Crinsol
        Here is a very simple solution that would be really easy to set as a beta.

1) Install a wireless mesh system with access points (if fiber is available,even better) on top of street light poles to provide power. www.firetide.com is a wireless mesh manufacturer and has good info on wireless mesh setup.

2) Attach IP cameras with POE directly to wireless mesh node in port #1. Good IP camera such as www.iqeye.com is a 1.3 Mpixel digital camera with good low light and digital zoom capabilities.

3) Attach an IP intercom/VOIP with POE device to port #2. www.digitalacoustics.com has some intercom products and there are a bunch of VOIP manufacturers out there.

This type of application allows you to install a city wide high speed LAN backbone and then you can hang all kinds of other IP solutions to it.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.
        Your residents, if they want WiFi, will love you. Mesh networks are wonderful for providing communities with wifi access. Just tack on a bandwidth limiter so that you can still run your IP survellience system without interruption.You might even use WiFi access to help defray the costs of the security system.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

The cool thing about good wireless mesh nodes is that you can create VLANs.

In the USA, the FCC has designated 4.9 Ghz as the public safety/first responder freq. So what you can do is use 2.4 for general internet/communications, 4.9 for public safety and 5.8 for video/security applications all from one single mesh node.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X