Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragonfyre024
    replied
    The cost of living is much higher in Connecticut than it is in Alaska.

Milk $3.50 and up
    Bread $1.99
    Ice Cream $3.99
    Gasoline $2.25/gal (around average)

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Milk's a little higher than what we pay (Its Wisconsin, after all), but those seem pretty normal prices.

Leave a comment:

• Here4th$
    replied
    Cost of living

The cost of living in Alaska has changed dramatically from the exorbitant prices that people tell horror stories about. As long as you’re on the road system (I am) the prices of most things are comparable to those in the lower 48. I think gas in Anchorage is around $2.15/Gallon right now. I still have family in the states and we often find that the same Wally World, Safeway (Carrs), and Freddie’s newspaper and prices are used both here and in their stores there. There are some products that are higher, but I know that there are many that are the same and when on sale, even lower.

Here’s a small list of what I pay here:

Milk $3.00/Gallon
    Bread $1.29/Loaf
    King Crab Legs $8.99/Lb.
    Apples $1.25/Lb
    New York Strip Roasts $2.99/Lb (standard weekly special)
    Ice Cream (Dryers) $3.00/1/2 Gallon

Leave a comment:

• Chucky
    replied
    Yep the money sounds great but when I was up there a can of Coke was 10 cents in the lower 48 and a dollar in Alaska. The cost of living is much higher there unless things have changed dramatically.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by Here4th$
    Yes, the money is good, but it's all about the time off. Two week a month works out to 6 months of time off per year.

It's a pretty good gig.
    I can't even imagine that type of job. Hold onto it tight.

Leave a comment:

• Here4th$
    replied
    Good Money

Yes, the money is good, but it's all about the time off. Two week a month works out to 6 months of time off per year.

It's a pretty good gig.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by Here4th$
    I work an armed position in Alaska on a two week on, two week off schedule with twelve hour shifts. As such, we work 40 hours straight time and 44 hours of time-and-a-half every work week. My base pay is in excess of $24 an hour not including locality pay or health insurance.

I left a 13 year law enforcement career to come to this job as the pay was (and is) substantially more and the scedule includes two weeks off every month.
    Good grief. Now that's good money.

Leave a comment:

• Here4th$
    replied
    Wages

I work an armed position in Alaska on a two week on, two week off schedule with twelve hour shifts. As such, we work 40 hours straight time and 44 hours of time-and-a-half every work week. My base pay is in excess of $24 an hour not including locality pay or health insurance.

I left a 13 year law enforcement career to come to this job as the pay was (and is) substantially more and the scedule includes two weeks off every month.

Leave a comment:

• exguard
    replied
    On Occasion yes. - Training is our main thing - Our initial academy is 2 months. {Classroom, and field training. } You'll go through an annual physical, mask fit-testing, and SCBA Course including how to perform basic repairs.

Right Now our Staffing is at it's peak with a waiting list of 135 applicants just from inside the refinery not to mention outside. - It's a pretty cool job. One I know I'll be around long enough to collect the pension {20 or 25 and out}

Leave a comment:

• GCMC Security
    replied
    Originally posted by exguard
    Most Security Saleries do depend on the nature of the work, type of oufit {Priviate, Contracted, or corporate} Corporate is the place to make any kind of money in my opinion. - Contracted Security isn't about taking care of thier officers, they're about beating out the competition, making money, and keeping thier business alive. - Priviate is what it is - Priviate.

Example, I work in Corporate {Major Northeast Refinery Complex with an estimated 3500 employees} My department is charged not only with security but we are the EMTs, Firefighters, Rescue Technicians, and Hazzardous Material Technicians. Security is our main responsibility but as you can see we get involved in everything. My salary far outweighs the average security guard in that I have multiple responsibilities. I'm well taken care of - no doubt - I have a 25 year 100% Pension, 401K, Full Family Medical Plan, Profit Sharing {About $4000.00 Check every Year - Basically a bonus} all the equipment to do my job effectively {And if we need something we're given the credit card and told to go get it} - We have expense accounts for travel - Yes I'm a Security Officer but I have it pretty good including a brand new 2007 Ford F-150 Patrol Vehicle and work schedule that can't be beat.

I also can be injured and/or killed faster than most security officers. Terrorisim is the main reason our unit was created - A Refinery is a dangerous place and we're more vulnerable than a bank, armored car, shopping mall, office building, maintenance yard, or truck scale where most security officers flurish. And we're not armed....Not yet.
    Are you hiring???

Leave a comment:

• Echos13
    replied
    Wages with TWC/G4S are OK, but the benefits bite! One of the biggest issues is no sick pay. How many times I have gone to work feeling like crap and a few times I had to stay home. Got the flu twice in one month, that sucked.

Leave a comment:

• exguard
    replied
    Most Security Saleries do depend on the nature of the work, type of oufit {Priviate, Contracted, or corporate} Corporate is the place to make any kind of money in my opinion. - Contracted Security isn't about taking care of thier officers, they're about beating out the competition, making money, and keeping thier business alive. - Priviate is what it is - Priviate.

Example, I work in Corporate {Major Northeast Refinery Complex with an estimated 3500 employees} My department is charged not only with security but we are the EMTs, Firefighters, Rescue Technicians, and Hazzardous Material Technicians. Security is our main responsibility but as you can see we get involved in everything. My salary far outweighs the average security guard in that I have multiple responsibilities. I'm well taken care of - no doubt - I have a 25 year 100% Pension, 401K, Full Family Medical Plan, Profit Sharing {About $4000.00 Check every Year - Basically a bonus} all the equipment to do my job effectively {And if we need something we're given the credit card and told to go get it} - We have expense accounts for travel - Yes I'm a Security Officer but I have it pretty good including a brand new 2007 Ford F-150 Patrol Vehicle and work schedule that can't be beat.

I also can be injured and/or killed faster than most security officers. Terrorisim is the main reason our unit was created - A Refinery is a dangerous place and we're more vulnerable than a bank, armored car, shopping mall, office building, maintenance yard, or truck scale where most security officers flurish. And we're not armed....Not yet.

Leave a comment:

• locknid
    replied
    I think like another poster said it depends on what the duties are. here in AZ for the most part the corporate security companies which only do high rises, gated communities, vehicle patrols, stuff like that generally get paid 8-11 dollars an hour for regular guards there. Then sadly armored car drivers in this state seem to only get paid about 10-12 dollars an hour, even though there is a huge danger factor, pre-hiring process. Then there are the proactive companies like my company i work for which does many apt complexes, convience stores, and a few other things in some of the worst areas in the state, where it can get really dangerous and the company usually starts at 13-15. Also how much overtime you let employess get makes a huge difference too. I know one guy with my company that with 88 hours a week he makes around 100,000 grand a year. But I know for a fact its impossible to live on even 9-10 bucks an hour here in AZ especially with a family

Leave a comment:

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    Originally posted by SecTrainer
    Thanks - I think the organophosphates are insecticides (perhaps used for other things also) and have effects on humans that are very similar to sarin and other nerve agents. Very, very nasty stuff indeed.
    SecTrainer:
    OP started out as insecticides, but the German military saw it potential as war gases. Some of the experiments were carried out on humans by both the Nazi and Tojo's regimes.
    Cholinesterase inhibitors in the OP family do their job very affectively. We can thank the Israeli Government for giving our Government a chemical shell found in a captured Egyptian tank. Testing proved the Soviets had changed the chemical formulation of a nerve agent and as a result we added 2-PAM to our antidote. Recall, the Soviet military used a 3-1 ratio in their field munitions, that is every third round would be a chemical round. VX and GB were considered on the par with CN and CS gases.
    That is why Nathan's post gave me pause, no protection for their guards.
    Thanks for your interest.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• SecTrainer
    replied
    Thanks - I think the organophosphates are insecticides (perhaps used for other things also) and have effects on humans that are very similar to sarin and other nerve agents. Very, very nasty stuff indeed.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X