Bomb threats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoxerGuard
    A good thing to access at first is how serious the caller is likely to be. If the give you a location, time, and what the bomb is packaged in...then it may be real. If the info is vague it may not be.

A friend of mine used to do armed robberies and he would use phony bomb threats to get cops on the other side of town while he was on a lick.
    I can see it in the papers now, 27 people blown to pieces cause the caller is "vague" Boxerguard, what is the purpose of a bomb threat? What the caller want to accomplish by placing the call?
    Todd

Comment

A good thing to access at first is how serious the caller is likely to be. If the give you a location, time, and what the bomb is packaged in...then it may be real. If the info is vague it may not be.

A friend of mine used to do armed robberies and he would use phony bomb threats to get cops on the other side of town while he was on a lick.
      I hope that's a FORMER friend. At any rate, that's an old trick that I've heard of as well. Most seasoned police departments are not going to take the bait. Nevertheless, I would advise that all bomb threats be treated as geniune until proven otherwise.
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
        I hope that's a FORMER friend. At any rate, that's an old trick that I've heard of as well. Most seasoned police departments are not going to take the bait. Nevertheless, I would advise that all bomb threats be treated as geniune until proven otherwise.
        remind me to answer this post after Boxerguard answers my question.
        Todd

Comment

Actually (and it hurts me to write this), there might be some truth in what he wrote. When I took Police Technology in college we had a seminar with the former head of the Montreal Police bomb squad. This guy built the squad. (Montreal was forced too in 1970 when the separatist group the FLQ began to place bombs, mostly in street mailboxes). He said that people phone in bomb scares to disrupt people. For example a kid who didn't want to write an exam at school. He said that sometimes evacuating a whole building actually encouages more false calls. His advice was what Boxerwatchman wrote: if the caller was very spacific about where the boomb was, what it looked like etc, there was a good chance it was real. If the caller called back to ask why the place wasn't being evacuated. This was probably a real bomb. A person calling before a bomb explodes wants to save people. If they wanted to kill them they would call after the exposion to take responsibilty.
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

yes however, many times the bomber calls in the threat to minimize deaths and casualties. please refer to this URL: http://nsi.org/Library/Terrorism/bombthreat.html

Either way, vague or not, the caller should be taken seriously and the are very necessary. If the caller is vague it can mean alot of things. by being vague he may want the building totally empty if and when the bomb goes off. If I know where the bomb is I know that some one is going to go look for it to verify.
            Last edited by tlangsr; 03-17-2007, 04:09 PM.
            Todd

Comment

Originally posted by tlangsr
              If the caller is vague it can mean alot of things.
              Mistakes happen too, I am thinking of timers not being set "properly".

The threat of a fire from day to day though is probably more of a concern to most business.

Good for you to take initiave.
              Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
              Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
                Mistakes happen too, I am thinking of timers not being set "properly".

The threat of a fire from day to day though is probably more of a concern to most business.

Good for you to take initiave.
                now a days you just can't rely on what the caller says or how they sound, mistakes do happen.
                Todd

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                  For example a kid who didn't want to write an exam at school. He said that sometimes evacuating a whole building actually encouages more false calls. His advice was what Boxerwatchman wrote: if the caller was very spacific about where the boomb was, what it looked like etc, there was a good chance it was real. If the caller called back to ask why the place wasn't being evacuated. .
                  Another thing to be alert for is a real bomb placed near the major exits of the building. And a phony bomb threat to get people to evacuate. When they evacuate and start pouring towards the exits then the real bomb goes off.

No my friend went to prison. He is fine now...we got waisted together last night.

Comment

remind me to answer this post after Boxerguard answers my question.
                    It's time.

Comment

Another thing to be alert for is a real bomb placed near the major exits of the building. And a phony bomb threat to get people to evacuate. When they evacuate and start pouring towards the exits then the real bomb goes off.

No my friend went to prison. He is fine now...we got waisted together last night.
                      Splendid.

Comment

Then it wouldn't be phony.
                        Todd

Comment

I got to work Friday evening and during pass on the Day shift superviosr tells me "We had an interesting day today." Seems he was sitting in the guard shack when the head of the plant walked over form the nearby administration building. With him was a young lady who was working that day as a temporary secretary/calltaker. She had received a bomb threat and they were at the guard shack to report it. The sherrif's office was notified and the deputies showed up with their K-9 unit. The FBI was notified. It was a heck of a day. No device was found and eventually all of the little office workers were allowed back in thier cubicals.
                          Stuff like that never happens on night shift. I love night shift.
                          Hospital Security Officer

Comment

Then it wouldn't be phony.
                            The location of the threat is phony..to get people to the location of the real bomb.

Hey bub, mr. security said its time.

Comment

my response was given in a couple messages.
                              Todd

Comment

Give it again.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X