Having vehicles towed off property.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GCMC Security
    • Mar 2006

when i worked panama city beach during spring break guests were given a tag and thier info was stored by the front desk. When we checked the parking lot if they didn't have a tag we would call the front desk if it wasn't registered, we would take one of those big markers the HS kids use for prom in stuff and right TOW real big on the rear window. Roughly once an hour during the day the tow company that the hotel contracted with would drive by and hook up any marked. At night we called them to get them.

On an aside half the time by the time the tow company would get there the car would be way gone!

Comment

• T202
      • Apr 2006

Chapters 684 and 685 will tell you everything you want to know about parking in Texas. Good Luck.

Comment

• 3rd_shift
        • Aug 2005

Thanks for the link and info T202.
        Interesting..
        I'll look into it even further.
        I'll also be taking some more pictures today.

These wil mostly be posted as links in the future instead from now on,
        to keep this thread from taking too long to load.

What does it say in your first picture near the bottom in red paint?
        It used to say; "No Parking Fire Lane"
        Last edited by 3rd_shift; 10-29-2006, 07:39 AM. Reason: more info added.
        Observe and report what you saw with a good flashlight.
        Bedtime at sunrise

Comment

• Arrowslinger
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by 3rd_shift

It used to say; "No Parking Fire Lane"
          I was also curious as to what that writing was, now you know who ever is in charge of that will claim it is still a fire lane.

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
            • Aug 2005

I can make out the words "NO PARKING," and a red line. I bet its enough, too.
            Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• T202
              • Apr 2006

I believe that the red no parking line is a continuation of the red curb marking the fire lane. I take this as meaning no parking to the left of the line. (Double parking) Since your paper work states that the tow was because there wasn’t a permit on your vehicle, I guess the next thing to find out is if they have to have signs stating that all vehicles without permits will be towed. Is this going to be on Court TV?

Comment

• 3rd_shift
                • Aug 2005

Is this going to be on Court TV?
                It's a thought.....
                Should be no less entertaining than what is usually on.

I took more photos of the entry tow sign that was facing the wrong way where nobody could read it coming in.

I'm off to bed now...busy week.

I'll get those photos posted this weekend.
                Bedtime at sunrise

Comment

• HotelSecurity
                  • Mar 2006

Judges love photos. I don't need & don't have a car anymore but when I had one I used to fight just about every parking ticket I got just to get the experience in testifying in court. (I won about 75%of the time!). Judges love phots. Even if they don't show something! I had one ticket where I had parked in a bus zone. The sign indicating the no stopping area had been hit by a truck & was wrapped around the pole. I could not see it. In Montreal in the winter yellow lines on the curbs are useless.

After getting the ticket I went back the next day to take photos. The bent sign had been replaced with a spanking new one. I took photos of it along with the scrathes on the pole where the old sign used to be. The judge believed me & I won!
                  I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                  Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

• DizZy SO
                    • Sep 2006

Before I tell my story let me tell you a little about the site I work at. It is closed to the public, but the roads and allies between the buildings are public. Most of the problems we encounter are with the public. The other day a car stop in the middle of the ally and the driver and passenger get (catches the CCO’s attention). The passenger is a kid and gets in the driver’s side and driver, an adult, gets in the passenger side and they drive away and back again and all over the different allies and roads. The CCO calls the police. While we’re waiting for the police the car almost hits an on coming car on the main road and then almost hits a parked car in a parking lot. The police show up. While the CCO and the cop are talking here comes the car and stops right in the ally and the kid gets out of the driver’s side all on camera while the cop is watching. The cop gets outside the adult parked the car and both the adult and kid went inside the apartment. The cop is hiding behind a pickup and is waiting for them to come out. The adult comes out and “BAM” bright light. The cop talks to him the kid comes out. Talk…talk…talk. Paper work, license and stuff. “BAM”, fine. As time passes about 5 or 6 people come outside. The cop is getting nervous (two days earlier a cop was shoot) he’s calling on the radio and calling. Another police car comes. “BAM and by the way we’re towing your car.”
                    DizZy SO

Comment

• 3rd_shift
                      • Aug 2005

Here is the entrance I took into the lot.

Now coming into the parking lot.

In the parking lot.

Further into the lot.

Making a left turn into another area of the lot.

Proceeding to the area where my truck was towed.

To recap from earlier;
                      Here is a picture of where it was parked.

Here is another angle.

Turned around and coming back out.

There it is!! a sign.

A close up of that sign.

Is this the visitors' parking?

It could be in the daytime if everyone had eagles' eyes, or at night with owls' eyes.

The truck that was towed.

Was that damage there before, or after the towing incident?

Dents on top of the little truck.

More dents on the hood.

None of the damage was documented when the truck was taken away.
                      Who is responsible?

Rental cars;
                      Who is responsible for new damage, or damage not documented on the rental car before it leaves the lot?

You guys see where I'm going with this?

Of course, your local laws may a little to a lot.

A picture of the towing paperwork again.
                      The paperwork.
                      Last edited by 3rd_shift; 11-04-2006, 10:47 AM. Reason: more info added
                      Bedtime at sunrise

Comment

• T202
                        • Apr 2006

If your pictures clearly show that the sign was not visible as you entered the complex, its time to take it to court.

684.031. GENERAL REQUIREMENTS FOR SIGN PROHIBITING
                        UNAUTHORIZED VEHICLES. (a) Except as provided by Subsection
                        (a)(2)(B) and Section 684.034 or 684.035 an unauthorized vehicle
                        may not be towed under Section 684.012(a)(1) unless a sign
                        prohibiting unauthorized vehicles on a parking facility is:
                        (1) facing and conspicuously visible to the driver of
                        a vehicle that enters the facility;

Comment

• VertigoODO
                          • Nov 2006

Check out HR 1173 109th district Congress... Deals with State and Local predatorial towing practices. Its not signed into law yet, but when it does, ONLY property management, NOT SECURITY will be allowed to tow cars.

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
                            • Aug 2005

Wonderful. Does it say anything about "agents of management?" Because its trivial for a property management company to argue that the security officer is an agent of management.

Granted, in Wiscosnin, only a sworn LEO may tow a vehicle off private property, an owner may not.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

• VertigoODO
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                              Wonderful. Does it say anything about "agents of management?" Because its trivial for a property management company to argue that the security officer is an agent of management.

Granted, in Wiscosnin, only a sworn LEO may tow a vehicle off private property, an owner may not.
                              It says property management only, and it specifies that Security, Tow Companies, and Parking Enforcement Companies CANNOT BE AGENTS!!!

Comment

• N. A. Corbier
                                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by VertigoODO
                                It says property management only, and it specifies that Security, Tow Companies, and Parking Enforcement Companies CANNOT BE AGENTS!!!
                                As I suspected. How lovely.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...