Incorporate private industry into the Emergency Management cycle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incorporate private industry into the Emergency Management cycle

I’m currently working on a graduate qualitative research project. I hope to address the need to incorporate private industry into the Emergency Management cycle more effectively. I hope to use information provided as a springboard to further my research on the subject. If I choose to quote you in the project, I will contact you, if you wish I can cite the information as anonymous with information regarding the group.

Business Continuity and Strategic planning seem to be hot topics by businesses but the incorporation of industrial security, fire and EMS into Emergency Management and government services seem to be lacking with competency and framework deficiencies between public and private entities. The use of semi-public environments outside the direct day-to-day operations of government resource is high by public (Malls, stadiums, private fair grounds, ect). Do you have any background with addressing competency with private industry? Have you brought in private industry line level or management into planning sessions as knowledgeable entities on the property or industry in question? What incentives do you believe can be brought to bear to ensure participation in emergency management? Do you find private industry line level employees are capable at handling critical events, more or less, outside the scope of their day-to-day operations? Do you believe mandatory course work will improve line level operations and integration with public responders? What competency checks should be in place? Licensing? Minimums for Management and line level?

That's a lot of questions. You should check out or contact large companies like Microsoft - they have a well integrated program with their own internal security, their security vendor(s) and the local police department and fire department in Redmond, WA. Mall of America is famous for its innovative approach & close relationship to the local PD to deter and deal with possible terrorist attacks.

I work for a large condominium complex with a small budget. The staff (Security and Maintenance) are trained in some limited emergency response procedures, but we really would be mostly reliant on the local first responders in a major earthquake or similar incident. It is very hard to get management to spend money on training and equipment unless something happens and they suddenly see the need for it. Line staff are generally more competent for response than managers, since they know where everything is (electrical boxes, first aid supplies, etc.)

Licensing? Perhaps for certain industries, but I doubt smaller businesses would go for it - they'd see it as an expense. I'd recommend what FEMA already does - offer free or small fee CERT classes for individuals and businesses, and then persuade insurance companies to give a big price break to companies that have an actual emergency response program that they maintain.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
      That's a lot of questions.
      Such a wide verity of focuses on this forum figured I would try hit a part of the majorities knowledge base rather than expect a single manager to address them all. Thank you for your response.

I was hoping to address semi-public zones rather than definable cooperate security which focus on semi-private zones with vetted employees. In that atmosphere it would seem your concerns are less and you have defined issues that can be quickly dealt with. You simply do not have the same transient, fluid, problems seen in malls or other commercial locations which serve the public rather than vetted employee.

Thank you by the way for responding.
      Last edited by Rlong1985; 03-03-2015, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Incorporate Private Industry Into The Emergency Management Cycle

I have done nuclear power plant drills and we involve the private sector to a large extent.

Comment

Looking outside of the physical security arena, most states that have "safety service patrols" either ran by the state's DOT or that state's Highway Patrol (usually it's the DOT) use private contractors. In this aspect there is a large amount of public-private partnerships as the state agency overseeing the safety service patrol literally has direct commo with the private contractors on the interstates AND gives them authority to shut down highways and clear incidents from the highway. Now the exact level of authority varies by state based on that state's laws and regulations. FEMA / DHS has a position in Washington, DC were a private sector employee works. His / her job is to coordinate the private sectors support of FEMA programs and disaster response. I think as far as private security goes you won't see a high level of private - public partnerships because most government agencies look down on private security. This is because most guard companies (and in turn their clients) only want warm bodies protecting the properties. Until the level and standards for private security staffing are increased in the way of professionalism and capability. You won't see any large acceptance of private security by government into any serious manner.
          "Let Justice Be Done, Though Heaven Should Fall" - Camp Sather, BIAP, Iraq
          "This We Do...So That Others May Live"
          "Glaine ár gcroí, Neart ár ngéag, Agus beart de réir ár mbriathar" - Irish Army Ranger Wing

Comment

The problen with public agencies and private security is the contract tendering rules that are designed to prevent fraud/nepotism/kickbacks. Generally speaking agencies are required to go with the "lowest bidder" that meets defined criteria. They don't have the option of paying more to go with a quality company.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithSDavid View Post
              Looking outside of the physical security arena, most states that have "safety service patrols" either ran by the state's DOT or that state's Highway Patrol (usually it's the DOT) use private contractors...
              That is interesting. Are you able to provide any numbers? For example:

-How many states have them?

-Of the states that have them, how many under DOT Vs. HP/SP?

-How many of the states use private contractors?

Comment

300x250

Collapse

Mid 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Super Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X