No announcement yet.

what background database are you using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what background database are you using?

Looking for a site that does background checks and comprehensive reports and offers a monthly subscription. Phone numbers and people searches would be good.
    www.nhmonitoring.com

What Background Database Are You Using?

Bababouy,

What precisely are you looking for? The reason that I ask is because just the simple term "background check" seems to mean different things to different people. Is this for pre-employment screening? Are you trying to determine if people have been convicted of any crimes? Or are you trying to determine if people have only been convicted of a felony? Are you concerned about their driving record, like citations and traffic accidents? Does their credit history interest you? What about prior employment? Are you interested in things like judgments? Are you looking for real property ownership records? Do you want motor vehicle registrations? You list phone numbers and people searches. Are you looking for home, work, and cellular telephone numbers? The more details you provide, the better we can answer your question.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim1348; 05-17-2013, 06:34 PM. Reason: Details

Comment

Jim,
      I'm looking for it all in one search. I did some P.I. work for a firm in Ft. Lauderdale about 15 years ago and I would get a whole dossier on the person that we were investigating. It would include licenses and cars registered to current and previous addresses, along with the owners info. The dossier was usually 20-40 pages on each person. The secretary would use an online service that gathered all the public records and group them together. I remember the office use to have dial-up internet service and it would take forever to download.
      www.nhmonitoring.com

Comment

What Background Database Are You Using?

Take a look at http://www.accurint.com/ I used the heck out of it a while back and I was quite impressed by what they provide. Now, that having been said, if I was just getting into it, like it sounds like you are right now, I would also take a look at http://www.tlo.com/ I really think that the "nature of the beast" is such that they all have somewhat similar products, but YOU might find that you have a preference for one over the other. For example, if somebody says, "Diet Cola" I might think Diet Coke, you might think Diet Pepsi, and others might think Diet Rite! See if you can take a few of them for a "test drive" and see what works best for you. Part of me is a bit skeptical of the companies that try to be "everything to everybody". I would almost rather have the raw data and then I could "separate the wheat from the chaff" so to speak to get what I needed. I had a pretty simple goal in mind when I was using Accurint. I wanted to locate fugitives and arrest them on their warrant(s). The chances are you have a different purpose in mind and a different company might fit your needs better. Also, at the risk of pointing out the obvious, take a look at http://www.pimagazine.com/ and see if the current or prior issues have done any reviews and see who is advertising that sort of service right now. If you are a qualified end user, take a "test drive" of a few and make up your own mind!

Comment

thanks Jim for the info. I am going to try both, but for the most part, they are both what I was looking for.
          www.nhmonitoring.com

Comment

Originally posted by bababouy View Post
            thanks Jim for the info. I am going to try both, but for the most part, they are both what I was looking for.
            There's no Internet database that can be trusted, for a variety of reasons ranging from downright inaccuracies to the fact that there's always a lag time before information reaches them. Also, be aware that there are primary sources that do not make their records available to these database companies, and others that make only very limited information available.

Never use this type of resource as anything but a "first-cut" in the process of background checking, and make no hiring decisions based on their information without independent verification. In the case of adverse information, make absolutely sure that you give the applicant an opportunity to (a) know about such information and (b) explain or correct any inaccuracies.

Also, whenever you use such sources, you MUST-MUST-MUST times 10 to the power of 6 be ABSOLUTELY SCRUPULOUS about observing the provisions of the Fair Credit Reporting Act - which applies to ALL such database checks, whether the information pertains to the individual's credit or not. (Just about any background check using third-party sources falls under the FCRA - and the penalties for violations of this act are HUGE. Also, be aware that this is one federal law that is very vigorously enforced.)

Finally, be sure that the SCOPE of the information you gather is DIRECTLY RELEVANT to the job for which you are hiring. This is one of the reasons to have properly-created job descriptions for every position in your company that detail the responsibilities and duties for those positions. Such job descriptions then become the framework for knowing what type of information you can justify looking for.

A background check, done properly, requires checking primary sources. Internet databases are secondary sources at best.
            Last edited by SecTrainer; 06-07-2013, 10:13 AM.
            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

I am not using this information for new hires necessarily. The data is going to be used for our investigations.
              www.nhmonitoring.com

Comment

Jim,
                I had a rep from LexisNexis contact me today to do a demo over the phone. The rep was a local guy and was very personable. he answered all my questions and stayed on the phone with me to talk about fishing and diving in south Florida. I was very impressed with their service and the entire experience. Thanks for the heads up.
                www.nhmonitoring.com

Comment

Originally posted by bababouy View Post
                  I am not using this information for new hires necessarily. The data is going to be used for our investigations.
                  Doesn't matter the nature of the investigation. These sources must be used with skepticism, and you must know when the FRCA comes into play. I don't know of any of these sources that will give you the straight story on either of these points, so I do suggest you run your intended use of the source past your legal counselor. It can take you more than a lifetime to recover from being wrong about this.

One thing you can do is to ask for 10 free searches and run them on people you know very, very well - starting with yourself. When I did this, I came back with a brother who had a felony conviction (never), a sister-in-law with a bad credit rating (never), and an awful lot of garbage information that proved not to have any relationship at all to the people I ran (addresses where they had never lived, a college one of them never attended, for instance). Was some of the information right? Yes, but if I hadn't known these people to start with I would not have known what was good information and what was not, and I could have never separated out the correct information from the garbage without doing....what?

If you said "going to the primary source", you win the kewpie doll and/or cigar of your choice.

You've probably heard the phrase "trust, but verify". When it comes to these data sources, the proper approach is "Don't trust, and double-verify".

And one other thing - don't put too much stock in those "demos".
                  Last edited by SecTrainer; 06-08-2013, 03:40 AM.
                  "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Thanks for the advise. We are started to collect a lot of info in subjects that we catch and that are involved with crimes against our customer's. We are looking to track these individuals and find out where certain things go once they have been stolen and all people involved. When I was with T.J. Maxx years ago, they had a task force that used to investigate and build larger cases on people that were career shoplifters. This is just one aspect that we are looking to use this information for.
                    www.nhmonitoring.com

Comment

As a private investigator I use TLO. It is fairly inexpensive and really just should be used as a tool. It's typically the first report I run but then the hard work begins of follow up and varification. It's just one piece of a large puzzle and not a substitution for hard work.
                      Every time [some software engineer] says, “Nobody will go to the trouble of doing that,” there’s some kid in Finland who will go to the trouble.

— Alex Mayfield

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X