Taser Use? Yes or No

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by locknid
    my company does not allow us to carry tasers simply because of the fact that people love to sue when they get tased, or in the event of an accidental death because of one then it would be even a bigger case. The police dept and taser has basically unlimited money to fight cases whereas my company does not have the resources to fight lawsuit after lawsuit. Its funny how I can carry a leathal weapon no probs but a non-lethal weapon is totally off limits. If your company allows you to then go for it, but first see what kind of insurance policy and legal support they give you just incase of an incident.
    One very important thing to remember about the Taser from a "I'll be sued!" aspect: You can be sued for touching someone, for spraying them with pepper spray, for drawing a baton, for hitting them with a baton, for pointing a gun at them, for shooting at them and missing, for shooting at them and hitting them, for intimidating them, for staring at them, for not opening the door for them, for not giving them your lunch...

We can sue anyone in America over anything. Will the case go forward? Maybe. Maybe not. Police departments don't have unlimited money to fight these cases. They have municipal insurance policies who pay off, and then raise their rates just like your own employer does.

And that money to pay it comes from our taxes.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

true but how many times has pepper spray accidentlly caused death or how many times have people been sued over a baton use(unless going for a lethal shot when not justified), or sued for any of the reasons you said. I am sure a few, but every one knows because of the news that you can try to sue if tasered. I am not saying they will win, basically all lose, but it still costs money to fight. One taser suit would most likely wipe out our entire company's insurance policy, even if we won. Also if tasers were to be used by a company I would make the person get loads of training on both the taser and use of force laws because I know from my own company that there are many which could be trusted with a taser but a hell of a lot which i don't even trust with a flashlight. I have seen another company which allows their guards to carry tasers with no extra training, if they can afford one, they can use one. Not a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by locknid
        true but how many times has pepper spray accidentlly caused death or how many times have people been sued over a baton use(unless going for a lethal shot when not justified), or sued for any of the reasons you said. I am sure a few, but every one knows because of the news that you can try to sue if tasered. I am not saying they will win, basically all lose, but it still costs money to fight. One taser suit would most likely wipe out our entire company's insurance policy, even if we won. Also if tasers were to be used by a company I would make the person get loads of training on both the taser and use of force laws because I know from my own company that there are many which could be trusted with a taser but a hell of a lot which i don't even trust with a flashlight. I have seen another company which allows their guards to carry tasers with no extra training, if they can afford one, they can use one. Not a good idea.
        Pepper Spray: About 10 times, or more. Amnesty International will be happy to tell us all why pepper spray is just as evil a tasers are.

Baton: Broken bones, etc...

Amount of Suing: Quite a lot, actually. Ask any police department. People sue for anything.

If your employees don't have use of force training to begin with, something is wrong. And every taser comes with free training from a Certified Taser Instructor. There is no such thing as an "untrained" taser user, the training is free and comes with the unit.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X